“Relaxing atmosphere, tasty food, fun wines” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Hill City
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Delivery
Description: A modern winery with elements that point to the family's five generations of South Dakota winemaking experience. Just a few miles from Mount Rushmore, with patio seating, hip heritage decor in the Tasting Room and Kitchen dining areas. Free tasting of our award-winning wines, from dry reds to sweet fruit. Fresh, gourmet food from our Kitchen. Open daily, year-round. Closed New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Relaxing atmosphere, tasty food, fun wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I've been to only a few wineries elsewhere, so I'm not super-experienced at what the rest of world expects, but I'll say that this one's my favorite.

Their wines are different - a lot of fruit wines and South Dakota specialties, but they have more traditional ones as well, and a fairly large selection. I think they're surprisingly good, here in little old South Dakota. They usually run $15-30 per bottle. I am a Legacy Cru member, which is a free club with a commitment to purchase a selection of about 4 bottles of different wines, sometimes special ones just for the club, four times a year. They charge me for them, then I come pick them up (or you can have them shipped). There are also members' events throughout the year, and I get 20% off all my wine purchases, which I think is worth it. Whenever I go, I get a free tasting (5 samples), especially because there are always new ones coming out.

The winery also has a lovely restaurant. It is a counter--you seat yourself and they bring it to you. It is a little pricey but I have never been disappointed with their food. Very flavorful and unique, earthy foods. I like to go with a group and get their seasonal open-faced sandwiches, or crackers, dips, and cheeses with a bottle of wine. Sit outside if the weather's good - a beautiful view of the Hills, and their patios are landscaped beautifully. Service is hit or miss but has usually been good.

There is wine-themed merchandise for sale, as well as decor, jams and jellies, and fancy meats and cheese.

Check the calendar for events with music, art, etc. It's small, so it may get crowded at certain times.

They have a new brewery next door (The Miner), so you can continue with a flight of beers (for a price) there as well.

• Visited January 2014

Scottsbluff, Nebraska
“YUM with a million exclamation points!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Frou frou restaurant housed with a winery. I'd finished wine tasting (fabulous. amazing. delicious with funny names.) and decided I'd better get some food in me before heading to the BEER tasting room! Well, the first thing on the menu that caught my eye was a grilled cheese. It was all kinds of fancy with different cheeses and toppings and a crazy bread, but bottom line - it was a GRILLED CHEESE. Possibly my favorite thing to eat on the planet. BUT...!! Then I saw an open-faced sweet potato puree sandwich. Y'all, sweet potatoes are a close second to grilled cheese in my book, and - no matter how awesome this one was - grilled cheeses are a dime a dozen, right? The waitress agreed that I should order outide of the box, and I got the sweet potato sandwich. It also had sundried tomatoes on it, and it was really and truly one of the best things I've ever eaten in my WHOLE LIFE. I was pleasantly surprised with how filling it was, as well. Put this sandwich on your Bucket List.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PrairieBerryWinery, Sr. Brand & Marketing Associate at Prairie Berry Winery, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to write and post your review. We love being on someone's "bucket list" for the experience we provide! We appreciate your sharing.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Favorite stop in South Dakota!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We absolutely loved Prairie Berry Winery. We went on a whim after a trip to see Mount Rushmore. So glad we went! Had fantastic service at the wine tasting and at the restaurant. Lunch was superb. It was a very cold day, and we had some comfort food- grilled cheese. AMAZING grilled cheese. We've since tried to make the grilled cheese at home, but it's hard to compare! Wine was delicious. Bought four bottles of wine for our trip home, and some honey. Definitely go!

• Visited February 2014
Mesa, Arizona
“Nice restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stopped by at lunch time and was pleasantly surprised. The place is really more winery than restaurant ,but the lunch we had was quite good. There is a very informal atmosphere where you can do a little shopping, sample some wines and get something to eat. The prices were about average. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend it as a place to stop for lunch while in the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Overland Park,KS
“Great Food, Good Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is a great place to stop for lunch on the way to or from Mt. Rushmore. Right on the highway, the menu has a lot of variety, service is good and the food is delicious. They also have wine tasting where you can sample some of their wines.

Visited November 2013