“Breath of fresh air.” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
“Breath of fresh air.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Memorial Day weekend. Every other business was looking for seasonal help and the lack of service showed. Not the bumping buffalo! Good food, such a darling server, and great atmosphere. Will always return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Twin Cities, MN
“Good at what they do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This is another restaurant that is unpretentious. They do beer and sandwiches and they do it well. Service was excellent, our buffalo burgers were very flavorful as were the onion rings and fries that came with them. Don't go expecting a fine dining experience, but when you're in the mood for a burger and beer, this is as good as place as any I've tried.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines, Iowa
“Yuppie bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Too expensive, the food was average and undercooked, the service was not very friendly, it looked out of place In hill city

Visited May 2014
Toledo, Ohio
“Great Gathering Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

After visiting another watering hole in Hill City we decided to stop in at the Bumpin Buffalo for a drink to check out the place. Wish this was our first stop. A great local hangout where the locals make you feel welcome. The bar area is not very big but there is an upstairs loft for dining. This was the best bar scene we visited while in Hill City.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hill City, South Dakota
“A few pet peeves”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stopped in for lunch last week and had the fish and chips which were delicious. The food arrived quickly and was hot and not greasy. Pay the extra for the sweet potato fries, they are worth it. The coleslaw is NOT. Although it was gorgeous, very colorful, it was absolutely tasteless. The $4.99 cupcake was not worth it either.

My server was fairly attentive and friendly, but this is where a couple of pet peeves come in...PLEASE, introduce yourself. I'm sure most servers don't want to make friends with most guests you take care of, but I at least, would like your know your name.

My next pet peeve...when taking my bill, do not ask me if I want change...yeah, if I give you a $20 for a $9 check, you bet I want change, and that question alone will lower the amount of tip I leave you. Better to say, I'll be right back with your change, if I don't want change, I will tell you then.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere