“Overall, it was well worth the price (2/3-4/2013)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal River Casino & Hotel

Royal River Casino & Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flandreau
Royal River Casino & Hotel
Save Saved
You added Royal River Casino & Hotel to your Saves list
607 South Veterans Street, Flandreau, SD 57028   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flandreau
Champlin, MN
“Overall, it was well worth the price (2/3-4/2013)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

GOOD
- Food is cheap
- 2Q room had table&chairs and plenty of space
- We were VERY successful in the casino. They claim a 96% payback and we left several hundred ahead
- The superbowl party was fun. Great nacho bar and we had our own personal bartender plus we won tons of great prizes
- All the employees, except 1 were very helpful and friendly. The blackjack dealers and bartenders were really fun.
- Drinks were plenty strong
- Accommodated request for 3 rooms next to/across from each other
- High stakes slots have 1 dollar machines

BAD
- Room 132 is a long walk to the front desk and casino
- Buffet food is just ok but its cheap (bkfst = 499)
- Hairs in the sink

UGLY
- The beds and tv are old
- front desk person (evening of Feb 3rd, 2013 - she was the only person there at the time), told me that it was too much paperwork to upgrade me to a suite

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor, in the 100-110 range if you want to be closer to the casino.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were on a bus tour to the Badlands, Black Hills, and casinos. We were booked in here for our first and last night of the trip. The casino is alright, I guess, but I'm not the gambler in the family. We were given vouchers for the buffet both nights, and it was quite good. The second stay is where the problems really stuck out. First, we were given a handicapped room, which we did not need. That was not the problem. The problem is that all three handicapped rooms are at least 100 yards from the front desk! Who designed this? The room smelled of smoke, which is not the hotel's fault, but we immediately called the staff so we would not get charged. We had a desk lamp that was not lit. Turns out it was unplugged because the switch is missing. The staff comment: "It's too late to call maintenance, besides there is enough light in here". Excuse me???? I was in the restaurant when the Thursday night football game came on NFL Network. Great, I thought, and back to my room I went to find a 1970's TV and TV lineup with no NFL Network, no Fox News, etc. I went to the desk and they told me that the hotel and casino are on different cable systems, besides, they are in the bottom of a valley. Huh? What does that have to do with no decent cable service in the hotel, not to mention the first 18", tube-type TV I have seen in a hotel in many years. There was a pervasive sewer gas smell in the entire wing. Several in the group commented about that. There was no spot for facial tissue, so we had to ask the desk for some so we could just put it on the desk. There was a pill on the floor, which told us that whoever did the vacuuming did not do a very good job. All in all, not a very good hotel experience. The casino seemed pretty good, but you should stay somewhere else, even if it is a 1/2 hour drive or so from the casino.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Flandreau hotels

Az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Excellent hotel and casino...The nights stay price included dinner coupons and casino coupons...Excellent dining room...
You can eat for nothing and walk away with money in your pocket if your lucky.
If you are looking for a place to meet with your friends this is the place!

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed on Sept. 21st, after seeing a casino special offering 30 dollars in dining, 20 in free play for 90 dollars. We decided we would give it a try as we were tired of spending over 120 dollars a night in Brookings when we travel to see our kids in collage. Checking in was easy and the room was very clean, my inlaws traveled with us and they were happy with there room also. We used our 30 dollar meal vouchers at the restaurant and were very pleased with the service and food. the waitress was one of the best we have ever encountered. After signing up for a players card we had 25 dollars free play, that went fast along with a extra 15 of my own money. My father inlaw won 100.00 to take home. Brookings was only a 15 minute drive and well worth the davings of staying here. This hotel is a winner, although pool is small and hot tub also. We plan on staying here from now on when we visit brookings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed here recently while working in the area. I was a bit apprehensive after reading about smokey-smelling rooms. I'm happy to say that my first floor room (near the bend, around the corner from the ice machine) was fine. I didn't notice any sort of smoke smell at all.

The free wii-fi worked well, and the bed was comfortable. I didn't notice any noise from the hallway. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful.

The only thing I think the (regular) room lacked was a fridge/microwave. I know that the suites have them, but I really missed having them in my regular room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
King George, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed at the Royal River Casino & Hotel while attending a High School graduation in the area. We only spent one night, but thought the stay overall was pretty good. We travel world-wide, Japan, Bahrain, Europe, etc. for business and have seen and stayed in all kinds of hotels ... this one rates as a good, clean, but average hotel. Nothing to write home about, but we were comfortable, and honestly, I think the Casino side of the business would rather you be in the restaurant or on the gaming floor rather than closed up in your room.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, attendants in the casino were very quick to clean up around machines after someone left the machine, plenty of staff around when you needed to find someone. We very much enjoyed the casino side of the property.
At breakfast at the restaurant, very good, either off the menu or the Sunday brunch.

Overall, I'd have to give the hotel an average, the Casino, although smaller than what we're accustomed to in Atlantic City and Las Vegas I'd rate as Very Good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, SD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

When we checked into the motel, the friendly professional desk attendant advised us that if we got new player cards, she could give us a huge discount on our room. We took her advise and saved about $40. And thank you to her. We had tickets to see Williams & Ree (a favorite) and they were spectacular. When we returned to our room after dinner (buffet not so great) I asked the new attendant if we could have a roll of toilet paper as we had not been provided an extra in the room. He tossed the roll at me and stated that if we needed more, we had personal problems. I was so astounded at his rudeness I avoided the desk until we checked out the next day. The whole motel smelled of nasty smoke even though there are now smoking areas. They merge into the other areas though, and it's like one big smell. Some of the employees are so nice and accommodating I feel unfair in condemming the entire motel, but the differences in service are astounding.

Room Tip: The rooms are mostly suites and very nice, although a little worn. But the smell of smoke is prevale...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal River Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!