“Nice!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal River Casino & Hotel

Royal River Casino & Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flandreau
Royal River Casino & Hotel
You added Royal River Casino & Hotel to your Saves list
607 South Veterans Street, Flandreau, SD 57028   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flandreau
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed here recently while working in the area. I was a bit apprehensive after reading about smokey-smelling rooms. I'm happy to say that my first floor room (near the bend, around the corner from the ice machine) was fine. I didn't notice any sort of smoke smell at all.

The free wii-fi worked well, and the bed was comfortable. I didn't notice any noise from the hallway. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful.

The only thing I think the (regular) room lacked was a fridge/microwave. I know that the suites have them, but I really missed having them in my regular room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
King George, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed at the Royal River Casino & Hotel while attending a High School graduation in the area. We only spent one night, but thought the stay overall was pretty good. We travel world-wide, Japan, Bahrain, Europe, etc. for business and have seen and stayed in all kinds of hotels ... this one rates as a good, clean, but average hotel. Nothing to write home about, but we were comfortable, and honestly, I think the Casino side of the business would rather you be in the restaurant or on the gaming floor rather than closed up in your room.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, attendants in the casino were very quick to clean up around machines after someone left the machine, plenty of staff around when you needed to find someone. We very much enjoyed the casino side of the property.
At breakfast at the restaurant, very good, either off the menu or the Sunday brunch.

Overall, I'd have to give the hotel an average, the Casino, although smaller than what we're accustomed to in Atlantic City and Las Vegas I'd rate as Very Good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, SD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

When we checked into the motel, the friendly professional desk attendant advised us that if we got new player cards, she could give us a huge discount on our room. We took her advise and saved about $40. And thank you to her. We had tickets to see Williams & Ree (a favorite) and they were spectacular. When we returned to our room after dinner (buffet not so great) I asked the new attendant if we could have a roll of toilet paper as we had not been provided an extra in the room. He tossed the roll at me and stated that if we needed more, we had personal problems. I was so astounded at his rudeness I avoided the desk until we checked out the next day. The whole motel smelled of nasty smoke even though there are now smoking areas. They merge into the other areas though, and it's like one big smell. Some of the employees are so nice and accommodating I feel unfair in condemming the entire motel, but the differences in service are astounding.

Room Tip: The rooms are mostly suites and very nice, although a little worn. But the smell of smoke is prevale...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Flandreau hotels

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I want to give this place the benefit of the doubt because it is clean and it is out in the middle of an area that really does not have any other lodging. The lobby is surprisingly well decorated with a Western/Native American theme and this motif is followed throughout the entire property. The drawback I found is that the walls in the room where I stayed were paper thin. I could hear everything. As a light sleeper, that made it hard for me to get a good nights rest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I recently spent two nights at the River Royal Casino motel. I traveled to on Flandreau on business, rather than run. It is obvious that the objective of the motel is to get guest to spend time in the casino. My check-in went smoothly and the front desk personnel took time to suggest a local restaurant and provided me with directions to my business meeting.

The motel room is small and dark. The carpet is dark, the window is small and lighting is very poor; all resulting in a dreary room. The area for the computer is a small table with no chair. The room did have a recliner and another setting chair. I pulled one of the chairs up to the table in order to use my computer. I am not sure if there was Internet service because I use my own wireless card. The bathroom is small and obviously has not been redesigned since it was built. For example the shower rod is still straight, resulting in the shower curtain touching against you when taking a shower. The towel and wash clothe was thin and worn and only had two items in the room.

The mattress was old and lumpy with some of the springs poking up, especially on the edge of the mattress. Pillows were small and made of foam rubber. The second night the casino was having some type of give-away and the motel was packed. While it was not over whelming, smoke could be smelled in the room.

I checked out the restaurant, but decided against trying the food. One the second night I asked for a burger to go and was informed that they did not provide food to go. However, the restaurant is next to the casino and is very smoky and loud. After offering a large tip, one of the waitresses agreed to pack up a burger to take to my room.

While this motel may not compare well to a full service brand hotel, it may be much like most casino hotels. And, the closes hotel is about 45 miles north or south. So, if you have to be in Flandreau, this may be the best, or only, game in town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I had a 25th high school reunion to attend in Flandreau, my girlfriends and I decided to make it a girls weekend out and stay overnight at the casino. We requested a non-smoking room when we made the reservation. When we arrived and walked into the hotel lobby we could immediately smell smoke...we asked the girl at the desk to make sure we have a non-smoking room as far from the smoke smell as possible because we all have issues with smoke. We were given a room on the first floor at the end of the hall by the stairway. We got ready for our reunion and left shortly after checking in, we didn't return to the hotel until about 1:00am.

After getting into bed and chit chatting awhile we noticed the smoke smell was getting worse, even with the air conditioning on. We tried to sleep, but at 3:00am it was so bad we could hardly breathe. We opened the window and that didn't even help much. I called the front desk and told the man who answered that we were having a lot of trouble breathing in this room because of the smoke smell...he offered us another room but when I asked if he could guarantee it wouldn't have the smoke smell he said that he couldn't guarantee anything. So why would we pack up everything and move at 3:30am and get the same problem in a different room? Well, needless to say we didn't get any sleep that night. When we checked out the next morning I complained again and told the girl at the desk about our horrible experience, she got the manager who was about as helpful as a bag of rocks. All she could say to me was that the hotel shares the ventilation system with the casino so there was nothing that could be done about the smoke smell...nice. I told her that we should at least be reimbursed our room fee, but she wouldn't do that, talk about great customer service...what a joke!

So to anyone who thinks about staying here...BEWARE. If you want a non-smoking room you will not get what you requested and they will do nothing about it. Customer service here is terrible! Oh yeah...I came down with bronchitis the day after I stayed here, coincidence? Probably not.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

When I called to make reservations all they had left was a smoking room. (I am a nonsmoker and didn't want the odor of smoke in my room or on our clothing) We needed a room and we were lucky to get a room by the sound of things. I asked the lady when making the reservation, if a nonsmoking room was to open up before we got there if we would be able to switch rooms. Her response was "No...We have a wait list for nonsmoking rooms" It was just rather rude!!! Well i got up the morning of the travel and called to see if by chance there was a nonsmoking room that opened up. The lady that I got on the 2nd phone call was wonderful! I believe her name was Rose. I told her that we have a smoking room reserved and would like a nonsmoking room and with out hesitation she moved us to a nonsmoking room.

Maybe something to consider for future guests and my own reservations. Get a room on the 2nd floor towards the end of a hall. We had a room on the main floor. There was people walking back and forth all night long... The hallway doors do not go all the way to the floors there is about 1" gap from the bottom of the door to the carpet so you can hear EVERYTHING in the hallway!

Other than that it was a decent hotel... They have a swimming pool right on the main floor by the front desk and arcade for the children. And of course they have a casino for those who would like a little entertainment.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flandreau
Americas Best Value Inn - Pipestone
Days Inn Brookings
Days Inn Brookings
#8 of 8 in Brookings
3.0 of 5 stars 276 reviews

Been to Royal River Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!