“Beautiful Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Deadwood
Omaha, Nebraska
“Beautiful Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Excellent stay at Martin Mason 3/21/13!!! I stayed for one night with my husband and parents. We were all very happy with our stay. Booked this hotel because of tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed.

We traveled to Deadwood in the off-season, and upon arrival at the hotel, we were informed that we were the only guests booked for the night. We were offered an upgrade and toured many of the rooms to select which we wanted. All were absolutely beautiful! My husband and I were originally booked in Room 10, Tyrell, but stayed in Room 1. We toured room 10 and would have been happy with our original reservation, but were excited about the upgrade. Room 1 was beautifully decorated—tasteful restoration. All the rooms we saw were beautiful and we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

The beds were comfortable—really comfortable. Location is perfect, within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Staff is warm and welcoming. Great value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Small, quaint hotel with a very cool atmosphere. About a block or two from the main strip in Deadwood. I would recommend it to others for the overall feel and experience, although the clawfoot tub with no shower curtain in the corner of the room made bathing a little cumbersome ( I guess it added to the overall experience though).Overall we had a very pleasant stay, but one that initially seemed like it might not happen. WARNING: lengthy story on our initial reception below:

We booked the room with them about 2 weeks in advance, and referenced an internet discount coupon on Trip Advisor. After we arrived at the hotel, the employee at the desk started going on about how she thought it was a reserved holiday (President's Day weekend) and that our discount already plugged into the computer system wouldn't be accepted. We called twice after booking just to make sure the rate was good and that the discount was showing in the system. (Also keep in mind we are standing there at the desk, bags in hand, ready to go to our room we booked while she attempts to charge us more).

Luckily she finally gave us the room, after she couldn't get in touch with the owner. But seriously? You're going to try and charge us more while we're standing in front of you, tired and ready for the room we booked in advance, with the discount showing on the computer. . . customer service at a place like this should always be paramount in my opinion.

Room Tip: Pay attention to the bathroom setup of your room. I'm not sure if they're all as awkward as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Martin Mason is one of our favorites when we visit Deadwood. The management has been great when outside influences (black hills reservations) have caused a few problems. The staff has been very helpful and courteous. The rooms are a great change of pace from the norm. The beds are the best I have slept in away from home. In several stays with them I have yet to have an experience other than fantastic. I highly recommend this historic hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Ok so full disclosure, I have not stayed here yet, so take this review for what it's worth...a review on customer service over the phone.

I travel a lot...in fact as much as I possibly can. I do whatever I can to save, and when I am "home" we don't do much in our neck of the woods because I am always thinking about my next adventure...my next roadtrip masterpiece if you will.

While it's only January now, in planning our next trip (April-May) I came across the Martin Mason. Naturally of course, I was blown away by the reviews and the concept itself. Not originally planning on staying on Deadwood, most of trip had been flushed out, once I learned about the place I was really convinced adjustments needed to be made and I needed to work the M.M. into our trip and into our budget, which was a bit of a tall order in that I have already booked a few places that were more than we typically spend while traveling (look for those reviews in late May-we really picked some great digs for this next trip!!!). Anyway in dealing with so many people in the hospitality industry occasionally I am really impressed and I like to make that known. I do this because I want to share my knowledge with other travelers, but I also do it to try and offset the fact that it's human nature for us to complain more than praise. I think we have all done it. When someone does something nice for us, were thankful but forget quicker than when someone isn't nice or does something we perceive as "shady". A good example would be how I can still remember in Arkansas this terrible checkout situation at a chain hotel but can't for the life of me think of where I got amazing customer service that far back. Well this is something I won't forget, and I want to share this review now at a time it might be helpful to others planning there Spring and Summer visits to Deadwood and surrounds.

So getting back on track here, I saw a promotion that went through April of 2013 which discounted the rooms fairly significantly to where it would be in our budget to stay here on our upcoming trip. The only problem was, while we are in the area for 4 days (the last full day being May 1st-which is also my girlfriends 39th birthday) to take advantage of the deal in April I would have had to switch around reservations made for Custer and for Badlands NP. I would also have to do the trip in such a pattern that was inefficient given where we are coming from before we get in the area and where we are going next... I was reluctant to call because as a small business owner, I know everyone asks for exceptions and it can get out of hand sometimes. Sure enough, I called and got great customer service from the lady I spoke with, but I knew I needed to speak with someone else and that was fine. Because the person who answered (I forgot the nice ladies name-unfortunately it was VERY early in the day) was so nice, I wasn't discouraged and felt like my decision to try and ask for an exception was something I should follow up on. I agreed I would call back later (I didn't want to leave a message but instead call back later in the day). Sure enough, when I called later (again, nice and friendly service) I got to speak with Melanie as she was going to be the decision maker. I started to explain my situation and she was so warm, friendly and understanding I felt so great about this decision to stay here that I would somehow find the funds to stay here if I couldn't get the discount. Fortunately though, that wasn't necessary because she granted my exception and we are now booked. More importantly than the discount though was THE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! She was helpful in other aspects of the conversation discussing where to eat, etc. I was blown away!!!!!! When discussing the room she even said if on the day of check in they have availability they will try and offer me a free upgrade!!! While that would be nice, it's not something we need...we are just happy to be staying here and giving our business to place that really wants it and has, in my opinion, already earned it!!!

I am sorry that I had to take so many words to convey this, and I don't like writing reviews when I have yet to stay some place but I really think this situation warranted it. Now I hope and pray I have not encouraged people to ask this nice lady for special scenarios, but if you do need special care I am confident this hotel is much better than your standard run of the mill lodging... As for the stay, I will definitely be reporting back on that after we return in May.

Room Tip: Stay here, something tells me you will be glad you did.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you so very much for the wonderful review! It is always very rewarding to know that seasoned travelers understand our goal to provide special care to our guests. It means so much to us that you would take the time to share your thoughts with others. We will be here to make your stay comfortable in every way and we wish you safe travels until your arrival.
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the Martin Mason Hotel, and it hasn't changed our opinion. The furnishings and decor were charming, but the functionality was lacking. The bathroom sink, which is in the room itself, had separate hot and cold faucets (not just handles) that were on opposite sides of the sink so you could not get a warm water flow. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. The tub was quite large and comfortable to soak in, though the shower curtain rod was only a small circle of that so you had shower curtain sticking to you throughout your shower. The room was 50 degrees when we checked in, there were only two hangers in the wardrobe, and

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
It is unfortunate that you did not express your concerns while you were here as, when rooms are available, we have upgraded our guests. One of our beautiful suites was available over New Years Eve and since I was in the hotel during your stay, I would have made that decision. It is always best in small hotels to make an effort to communicate, as in our case, it is our goal to make every guest as comfortable as possible. I would have truly enjoyed helping to make your stay perfect.

To address your concerns: The shower/tub in room #11 is designed to actually leave the curtain toward the shower open so it doesn't need to touch you. The tub is so large that water does not splash out. We are sorry you didn't understand our efforts. We hope you enjoyed the bath salts and bubble bath we provide for the large tub as it is quite luxurious.

The sink in the room is designed to be ADA compliant. It is an original sink to the building.

My response below was from the review you wrote over a year ago and apparently applies to your current concerns:

"We realize that no hotel is right for every person, as everyone’s expectations are different. We pride ourselves on our great staff and we thank you for your comments

For clarification, our hotel was restored under National Historic Preservation Guidelines and we used the original bathroom fixtures in the restoration, as required. Our goal was to give our guests the experience of staying in a hotel of the 1893 period when water mixing valves were not available. Also, instead of installing noisy electric motors in each bathroom, we chose to vent all bathrooms through a rooftop unit so each bathroom has continuous and silent ventilation.

We are confident that we have the best and most historically accurate hotel in Deadwood and we welcome every comment of every guest. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts so we can improve, as it is always our goal to make our guests time with us, perfect in every way. "

Now that we have honored a non-refundable deposit for your rally reservation, which you canceled, we hope that you have a better stay the next time you come to Deadwood. It would be our suggestion that you try one of the large hotels without the historic character of the Martin & Mason, as they apparently will please your sensitive taste and satisfy your needs better.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Surprised my wife on her birthday with a trip to Deadwood. Getting there was half the fun and once we arrived at MM we felt like we had arrived in a simpler time. Everything was amazing--the room decor was like staying in a museum (in a good way), delicious snacks were available in the hallway, the friendly staff was more than accommodating, and the birthday champagne on ice in the room was a great touch. A perfect home base for checking out Deadwood and the surrounding areas!

• Stayed September 2012
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We are so happy when we read such wonderful reviews! We're glad you understand our idea of stepping back in time and that your time with us was "perfect". Please return to see us soon!
Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just had to stay here after watching the TV series “Deadwood” and loved the history of the place (as well as the town). Wanted to stay in Sanderson as it had a sitting area but it was already booked for our first night so we stayed in Lucy Ann (even the sheets were red) for that night thereby getting the opportunity to experience more of the hotel. Both rooms were at the far end of the corridor so quiet and both had huge walk in showers which is our preference. The ladies in the ‘cage’ where you check-in were very helpful and had a lot of local knowledge and were happy to make dinner reservations for us. We enjoyed the coffee and scones each morning (if you want a full breakfast there is always the Lee Street Station Cafe) as well as the biscuits and chocolates in the afternoon. There was complementary water and sodas in a fridge in the hall too. Whilst it did not detract from our stay I do feel that it is a shame that the entrance is through a casino. I know this is the same for most hotels in Deadwood and it is the proceeds which funds the restoration of the historical district - yet it still has a slightly sleazy feel. It would be so much more fun if it was a more old-style casino rather than rows of ‘slots’. In any event, we would absolutely stay here again as it made a welcome change from all the run-of-the-mill chain hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are very glad that your stay with us was "a unique experience" as that is our ultimate goal. We want every guest to remember the time they spent at the Martin & Mason and we hope that you have the chance to return sometime in the near future. In the meantime....happy travels and thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Been to Martin Mason Hotel? Share your experiences!