“Most Comfortable Bed I Ever Slept In” 5 of 5 stars

Deadwood Dick's
51 Sherman Street, Deadwood, SD 57732   |
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Deadwood
St. Louis, Missouri USA
“Most Comfortable Bed I Ever Slept In”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We returned to Deadwood Dicks in June 2012 after our stay there last year. It was even better this year and we stayed a week. The best part about our stay was the bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on. We were able to get a very restful night's sleep and wake up fresh and ready for another adventure each day. The owner, Mary, is a most accommodating manager of this hotel and did everything she could to see we were very well taken care of. The room was fantastic - very large and we were able to store all our luggage (from a three week trip) so it was out of the way and we had plenty of room to move around. Deadwood Dick's is located on Sherman Street - two blocks away from the main street where all the casinos and shops are in Deadwood. The location provides a quiet place to check into at the end of the day for a good night's sleep. I especially love the nice, soft, fluffy towels in the bathroom. Deadwood Dick's is FIRST CLASS and one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. The nostalgic gated elevator gives this place added charm and adventure. We will come back again and again and again. Thank you, Mary, we had the time of our lives and we owe it all to you and your efforts to provide a comfortable hotel in a perfect location.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms offer super views of Deadwood - especially at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mary L, Manager at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We love our returning guests as much as they love Deadwood Dick's. Some people are just FUN! This couple is a good example. We are so happy you had a great stay with us again. All of our rooms have double pillow-top mattresses for your comfort. We hope to see you again next year. Thank You.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Waukon, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was so excited to stay at Deadwood Dick's. It sounded great and right downtown. We could park our vehicle and never have to move it. In January, I made reservations for three nights in June. When we arrived, I checked in and they could not find my reservation. They had already taken a night from my credit card to reserve the rooms. The reservation was finally found with the receipt from my credit card. She said somebody had forgotten to write it in the book so they had booked our rooms for somebody else. They had a room for us the first night but nothing for the second and third. She did call around and found us a room a mile out of Deadwood for the same price. We were put in the king room the first night and upgraded for free. They let us park there so we wouldn't have to pay for parking and said they would buy us lunch sometime during the weekend. At that point, I was just so disappointed that I didn't ever want to go in there again. This pretty much ruined my first day in Deadwood. I understand errors being made, but I feel they should have given us our room as we had made reservations so early and told the other people they didn't have rooms for them, or at least given us a break on the night that we did stay. That being said, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I'm sorry we had this bad experience as I think I would have thoroughly enjoyed staying there, but I can't imagine going back now as I couldn't even go into the antique shop and I love antique shops. A huge lesson learned - confirm your reservations!! I have already confirmed my reservations for the rest of the summer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Everything she wrote is true. We made a mistake and I sincerely apologize.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My initial thought as we were led through the maze of hallways, stairs and on to the rickety, cage elevator, then across the roof(!) to our room - was that my sister and mom, had they been with us, would have turned around by now - but then they wouldn't had made it to our delightful Room #413, which was charming with its brick walls and western decor. The staff was very friendly, the bed was extremely comfy and because I love history and the stories that this old place probably carries with it, I enjoyed our one night stay very much. Would probably stay here again because of the value, location, cleanliness and staff. Would try and take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible though.....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mary L, Manager at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the comments from our guests.
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed two nights here in room 305, their biggest room with 3 beds. The room was nice! It was actually 4 rooms....2 bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen (and bathroom). The hotel is older and very unique. If you have to have everything new and perfect, this is not the place for you! It has a lot of charm and huge windows! Of course being older, it also has some stains, and cracking and peeling. I don't mind this at all, as I still felt it was clean. We had no problem with parking, as the hotel has several free spaces around the side and in the back. Once you enter through the antique store and find someone, they will show you to your room and tell you any quirks you may need to know! THere is a cool old elevator to haul luggage up. We never had any problem with it! Also, one of the best things, is that they are very pet friendly! We had 3 little dogs and they had no issues with that, although be warned that there really is no where to let your dogs out to go to the bathroom...its mostly concrete! A few things to be careful about: The stairs are a little steep, and the heat was uneven...although this wasnt much of an issue, we used extra radiators in the room when it got too cold, and just opened a window when it was too hot. The biggest drawback was the hot water, or lack of.....there is a sign in the room that says let it run for a while and it will get hot. We let it run ALOT and it never got more than luke-warm...plus I hated wasting all that water. Still, I would stay again! THe location is fantastic and you can walk to everything downtown! The people that ran the hotel were friendly as well.

Room Tip: Room 305 is huge and has awesome windows
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mary L, Manager at Deadwood Dick's, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments. After your review, we investigated the lack of hot water in this unit and found the pipe had gravel blocking the flow of the hot water. We corrected it thanks to your review.
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I love staying at Deadwood Dicks. I love the history of Deadwood and the character of the old buildings. Deadwood Dicks however has a character of originality that beats the bigger Deadwood Hotels. The Suites are large, the rooms are quaint, and the views are fabulous. And above all the rooms are clean. It is hard to describe the feeling that comes over one at Deadwood Dicks. Its as if you are not of this time, rather then you are in another time. The atmosphere, the price, and the hospitality of Dave and Mary can not be beat.
I love Deadwood Dicks!!
Davina G

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
David City, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Birthday weekend and we head for Deadwood Dicks....A huge suite with 2 bedrooms and king and queen beds....Huge windows to see the activity out on Main street...and a delicious grilled steak supper at Deadwood Dicks Bar and Eattery.....( Thanks guys...ALL was wonderful!!!!)...AND a short block and a half to see 3 Dog Night in concert....Cost????...Less than a $100.00...Experience????...Priceless!!!!....Oh...did i mention the live music and beer before the concert?????Thank you all!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for what you need exactly and Mary will do her best to arrange it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Convenient location. on site parking (big deal in deadwood). this is a very old building and the rooms are unique. tall ceilings, huge windows. it's kind of charming with the old style elevator. but we found some negatives. the radiator makes lots of noise (and at 4 am it is disconcerting) and doesn't heat the room all that well. the hot water for showering is in short supply. way too many stairs to climb when someone doesnt shut the elevator door properly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Deadwood Dick's? Share your experiences!