“Amazing building, sad lack of true historic renovation.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Deadwood
Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   709 Main Street, Deadwood, SD 57732   |
Ranked #22 of 22 hotels in Deadwood
Wyoming
“Amazing building, sad lack of true historic renovation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We love all the historic buildings in Deadwood, and the Franklin Hotel is no exception. Beautiful old building, full of quirky character. Unfortunately, I don't believe the Silverado Gaming complex is managing this old beauty the best they could. The downstairs has been renovated in big-budget, Reno / Vegas gaudy casino style, which is flashy and eye-catching, and has a certain beauty, but resulted in the loss of the hotel's original historic features (massive fireplace, parquet floors, period appropriate lighting fixtures, old elevator, assorted other original architectural features). As for the hotel rooms, they retain a lot of quirky, historic character, but you can definitely see that all the renovation funds went to the casino, not to the rooms. The carpeting is tired and dingy, the furnishings sparce, paint is peeling, et cetera... the rooms could really use a freshening. Still, we enjoyed the quirky old room we had for our three night stay, and I am not bothered by old rooms or old carpet, none of that adversely affected our stay -what affected our stay was the rock hard, uncomfortable bed, and the complete lack of any hot water in the mornings.
Usually, I rate all historic hotels very highly as I enjoy all the quirks that come with vintage lodgings, but the uncomfortable bed and luke-warm to cold water in the mornings set this review to average..
That being said, we stayed on weeknights in the off season, and the rate for our Historic room with a view of downtown Deadwood and a window that opened directly to the upper veranda was only $39.99 a night. The room was definitely worth that price, regardless of shortcomings.

Room Tip: If you choose a smoking room, be prepared for a serious cigarette odor. As a smoker who can't al...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
south dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The rooms are small but they were clean. We stayed end of Nov and didn't have to turn the heat on at all. All the staff was great, and its right on main street, this was big whoo hooo!!!!
It is old but that's why they call it "Historic." We had hot water every morning and also had good
water pressure for showering and what not. No complaints when our group got alittle loud either :) We will stay there again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

this is a very old hotel in the heart of Deadwood, South Dakota. the lobby and public area are nicely furnished with antiques and exude the charm of days gone by. the rooms are a little more rustic, and by that I mean bare. We were greeted with very basic twin beds and minimal decorations. functional, but not the most comfortable sleeping. still, I would go back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Willard, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

What a great way to experience the Old West! Staying here was truly a step back in time. Loved the history of the place. if you're after luxury or being pampered, this is not the place for you. We absolutely loved the nostalgia. Very nice, modern casino in the lobby area, but, the rest is very historical. One can almost feel the cowboys and gunslingers all around them when walking the halls. Also a pretty decent buffet in the gaming complex across the street.

Room Tip: street front historical room is great for viewing the action, plus the veranda is open afternoons fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kanab, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I came here as a side trip to play poker for one night and just see what it was all about. I was treated rudely and given funny looks from the very beginning. It's clear that people here working in all the casinos and shops hate tourists and even though it is equally clear that without tourists it would dry up and die. At the poker table I was subjected to open discrimination. I questioned the dealers incorrect dealing twice, but very nicely, and was told to leave and had security called. They said I was too drunk to play which apparently the local gaming commission is strict on this, but I had had three beers and was winning. It seems to me this is used as an excuse to get rid of people they don't like.

I expected my room at the Franklin to be old and quaint and I am usually not a picky hotel guest, but rooms with inadequate heating are not ok and I would be straight up embarrassed to run a hotel that has cold showers. I will not only never come to this casino/hotel again, but given my overall experience I will never return to Deadwood. I wrote this review to tell the truth about these clowns......Buyer BEWARE

Room Tip: Ask for a hot shower
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Booked the Franklin cottage for 3 nights for a group of 10 people. Well 8 people stayed 3 nights and 10 people for 2 nights. Anyway we thought it worked out very good for our group. The only thing we would change is put a full size bed in the bedroom that has a twin bed in & move the twin bed into the one room with the queen they both would fit. It's an old house but we thought it was great for our group. Some might think it's not a place they would stay too old & small I have heard from some people. It had good heat & comfortable beds. Can't think of anything to complain about. The casino is nice the bartenders all were nice & severed great drinks. The fronk desk people that we dealt with all were very good. Susan who I spoke with on the phone was very helpful unlike the gal that did my booking. I'm really glad I spoke to Susan otherwise I may have cancelled the booking. (Thanks Susan!)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mandan, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This experience would have ruined anyone's first time in deadwood. It was horrid, the room was about 100 degrees no air conditioner , opened window ....no screen... has multiple wasps in the room. I asked to get another they had vacancies but all the rooms are the same they wouldn't oblige. I am quite sure they knew I would feel the same about another room. It was extremely outdated which is ok but everything was in terrible shape, falling apart! There was no water pressure in the sink. And no hot water in the morning! There was mold in the bathroom and shower. Very small rooms as well! The lobby is very fancy and remodeled but the rooms you truly feel like you went into the twilight zone. I will never stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Silverado Franklin Historic Hotel & Gaming Complex? Share your experiences!