“Some good, some bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 22 hotels in Deadwood
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Some good, some bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This property has some very good points. They include a very nice staff and a fabulous location, right in the middle of everyting in Deadwood. Now to the bad. Although we were on a bus tour, we managed to upgrade to a suite, partially in order to get the TV out of the bedroom. Guess where the TV is? In the bed area instead of the nice, but small sitting area. The staff agreed with me that this is not a good arrangement. The property has 78 units on four floors - serviced by one very slow elevator. Try this when a bus load checks in. I don't think this property could be opened in very many places in the country. The windows looked out...into the back part of the hall, not outside. The stairs were at the opposite end of the hall. What happens in case of a fire? Think about it. Then there is the breakfast area. The pictures really do not do it justice. It is small and very cramped. If somebody is making toast, the entire end of the breakfast bar is blocked. The variety was, however, quite good with scrambled eggs, hot biscuits, hot sweet rolls, hot ham and sausage gravy along with the usual cereals, etc. The pancake machine (see my pictures) was useless, however. Even when it 'worked', which it did not very often the three mornings I was there, it put out burnt crumbs in large quantities and often a torn up something came out instead of a pancake. Get rid of that thing and install a couple of do-it-yourself waffle makers. The room was very clean and spacious, with not a hint of smoke.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baldwinsville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Deadwood so you can park the car and walk almost everywhere. The rooms were clean and well appointed. I didn't like the fact that our window faced the lobby - but we didn't spend that much time in the room anyway so no big deal (there wasn't any noise coming from the lobby). The breakfast was fine - we like to "grab-and-go". The pool wasn't anything special but it was fine - we were the only people taking a swim before dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful finding restaurants, etc. I would definitely come back here.

Room Tip: Specifiy if you want a room with an outside window.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Middletown, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I called to confirm my reservation they informed me they had two reservations for me and it was too late to cancel one that I would be charged for two I stated I had NOT booked two rooms it was just my husband and I he said there was nothing he could do... called the hotel the manager said she had one reservation for me no apologies nothing

At the hotel they put us in a handicap room the door we did not request one! the was open when we arrived the heat was on 80 the toliet seat was loose told the front desk three days in a row never was fixed I told the manager she could have cared less about any of it! I would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deadwood, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Myra B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am deeply sorry for the overall issues you had during your stay. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Deadwood, SD.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Everything in Deadwood is very cramped. The town is laid out in a long steep walled gulch (In fact the real name of the town is Deadwood Gulch). This Inn is no exception. It is a tidy, compact 4 stories with the lobby loading zone (20 minute parking!) on a narrow alley sized street. It is very new and quite handsome (a nice 4 story atrium) but there is only one very slow elevator. We never tried out the pool or spa pool because we forgot to bring our wet swim suits in from the car trunk and the car was four and one half blocks away in the municipal parking ramp - provided by Holiday Inn. The in-house casino was fun and competed well with the hundreds of others just outside the door. However, the free snacks and drinks during happy hour provided, by the Inn, were a dissappointment (five flavors of crackers and commercially packaged dip). The staff was pleasent, professional and compent. The room was beautiful and the bed was great. I did not like paying what we had to pay but it was pretty much the going rate for Deadwood. I would stay there again, but I would do something to avoid the walk ( I use a cane to get around) to the parking ramp.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deadwood, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear oyboy3,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay! I was sorry to hear some aspects did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apology on this issue. Deadwood can be very expensive, so I am sure your fellow traveler appreciate your tips.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent three days here. The location was perfect. The room was clean and comfortable. There is no safe or refrigerator in the room though.The breakfast was a typical breakfast for a hotel. There is a small casino attached to the hotel. There is a bar there with a very nice bartender, Tony. He was very nice and knowledgeable. It was fun place to stay. You could walk everywhere. Good restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the lobby. If you opened your drapes people acroos the way can see in. It was fi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Clearwater/Tampa Bay Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Last week we spent three nights here while visiting Deadwood. The location was perfect. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast in the lobby was pretty much the standard free breakfast that most hotels offer. There is a small casino attached to the hotel - like you find in much of Deadwood. There was a small bar that we enjoyed, and Tony the bartender was friendly and knowledgeable about the area and its history. This was a nice stay, and a good value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Malvern, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This place was clean, staff was knowledgable and friendly, beds were very comfy nice t.v. The rooms have windows that face the lobby and the windows go from floor to ceiling so if you want a nicer view request the side that faces main st. We had an inside room but didn't really matter to us. We stayed there for Sturgis and actually enjoyed deadwood more than Sturgis. Overall great stay just new York prices during rally week. They had a pool and hot tub which my brother and I used one night but it was nice. Also would highly recommend the deadwood social club for a nicer upscale dinner and mustang Sally's for a good quick burger.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Deadwood? Share your experiences!