“A Wonderful Family Experience In a Gorgeous Location” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Phoenix, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
“A Wonderful Family Experience In a Gorgeous Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I, my 8 year old son, and 16 year old nephew all greatly enjoyed the 2 hour horseback riding experience with Barbara Jean and her team.

She met us at her 4-wheel drive required driveway with a gigantic smile, and warm welcome. We instantly felt happy to be with her. The adventure began with a short bumpy ride up to her ranch which the boys thought was awesome! Once there, we were given a short horse control, and geology lesson. We were properly matched with a horse to our level of experience, and off we went. Barbara Jean kept the horse of my 8 year old (who was riding for the first time) at a close rein to her horse so she could be sure he felt secure and enjoyed himself. He did! The path we were taken on was not a boring flat trail. It was uphill, downhill, and flat. It also included photo opportunities, and some mini history lessons along the way as well. I loved the way she inserted the kids as characters within her historical stories. The experience was perfect for us, and one we will always remember with a smile. I couldn't help but hug Barbara Jean at it's end. If you have kids, and want to do something special with them go see Barbara Jean.

Visited June 2011

Virginia
“Fantastic, Friendly and Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

My brother and I had an absolute blast with our guides. They were hysterical, full of local knowledge and just plain fun to hang around with. The scenery was great and we loved te horses and other animals around the fields. Don't miss out. You'll love it.

Denver, Colorado
“Great! Great! Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We had a wondeful time and our guide know the area very well. We all had our own horses and did some very unique riding. It was my daughters first time riding and she has been talking about the ride for the past three week. I would reccomend Blacktail as one of the best rides I've done in my life.

Chris - Colorado

London
“Great Horseback Tour Near Deadwood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We would highly recommend this horseback tour of the Black Hills, 5min from Deadwood. Barbara Jean was very friendly and welcoming, and also has a great understanding of the history and geology of the Black Hills. The horses were v placid which was great for the two of us, although she said she caters to advanced riders also. The tour took about 2 hours and was great fun.