“$25 for an unfinished, unprogressing memorial” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Monuments/ Statues, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation is to protect and preserve the culture, tradition and living heritage of the North American Indians. The Foundation demonstrates its commitment to this endeavor by continuing the progress on the world's largest sculptural undertaking by carving a memorial of Lakota leader Crazy Horse; by providing educational and cultural programming; by acting as a repository for American Indian artifacts, arts and crafts through the INDIAN MUSEUM OF NORTH AMERICA(R) and the NATIVE AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL & CULTURAL CENTER(R); and by establishing and operating the INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA(R) and, when practical, a medical training center for American Indians.
Des Moines, IA
“$25 for an unfinished, unprogressing memorial”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

For two adults and an 8 year old....$25! And they haven't made any progress for years.

Rushmore was done in 14.

All of the Indian artifacts and education may be interesting, but not that much more interesting than all of the other free or inexpensive museums in the area.

Hate to say it, but this thing is ridiculously overpriced. Take a look from the road, then turnaround and leave. Go to your local museum to learn about the American Indian.

• Polish first
Braintree, MA
“tourist trap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

In June, 2007 my husband, myself and 2 friends went to South Dakota and part of touring was a visit to Crazy Horse Monument. Let me start by saying the entrance fee per vehicle was $25.00. We did not even question the fee because we have travelled extensively thoughout the U.S. and if you want to see things you pay the price. That was fine until we got in, parked the car, went to get the bus to get closer to the Monument and were told due to thunderstorms in the area we would not be allowed to take the bus at this time [which by the way cost another $4.00 per person] and until the storm passed we should go into the Museum - watch the movie and look around. By the way, the lady in the booth collecting the money for the bus was totally rude to our party which at that point we were disgusted. We should have left at that moment. However, we did, in fact, check out the Musuem [which was mostly a gift shop]. We decided that we would not give another $4.00 per person to nothing but a tourist trap. Save your money and visit somewhere else. See it from the entrance!!!

Vista, CA
“Pay attention: this may be a scam.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

If you pay close attention to the film shown in the theatre at the Crazy Horse Memorial, you'll notice that no progress has been made since the initial face was carved. Also, no mention of how the entrance fees gets used is mentioned or made available. Does 50%, 75%, or 90% of the fees goes towards the completion of the monument ,or does it go to support the sculpture's many surviving kids? Proceeds don't seem to go toward the Indian exhibits or the hall, all of which seems poorly lit and left to decay. After walking around and seeing the vendors, the stores, and the exhibits, I asked myself what the point of the whole memorial was? It certainly didn't illuminate the white man's history with the Indians or the Indians themselves. I just got this gnawing feeling that nothing was being done to the monument and that money was lining someone's pocket. There should be a webcam with pictures archived to show that real progress is being made. Until then, I think this place is a scam. You're honestly better seeing it from the road.

Ames, Iowa
4 attraction reviews
“The Crazy Horse Volksmarch - once in a lifetime views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Last time I went to Crazy Horse, I only viewed it from the visitor center. I didn't realize how much I missed. Once in the park, you can pay $4 extra to take a bus to the base of the mountain, which will give you a better view. You can also donate a pretty penny to ride to the top. OR, if you don't have hundreds of dollars to spare, you can visit Crazy Horse in early June and participate in the annual Volksmarch like we did. The Volksmarch is an event put on every year by the American Volksport Association and attracts thousands of people. The event is a 10k (6.2 mile) walk through the woods, up the mountain, to right below Crazy Horse's head on his outstretched arm. The course is somewhat hilly and rocky, but nothing very technical and no rock climbing. The path is not suited for strollers. However, I did see a couple strollers at the top. Maybe they bypassed the hike through the woods.

Along the hike, there are a few checkpoints, portable toilets, and concession stands run by Scouts and other groups. The hike ends at the visitor center.

We took my 3.5 year old and carried my 5 month old in a backpack carrier and we certainly weren't the only ones with young kids. My 3.5 year old walked for most of the way up to the face, which was probably 3/4 of the walk. Be sure to take some water or money to buy water. Kids will probably also want a snack. It took us about 4-5 hours to complete the hike, but we could have done it in an hour less without having to accomodate little legs.

Along the way, we were treated to sneak peaks of the carving, each time a little closer. In the end, the view up close was amazing. You can see detail that just isn't visible from afar.

Back at the visitor center, there is a museum and a video about the carving. I've heard both were very good, but due to tired kids, I was unable to experience either.

Daphne, Alabama
84 attraction reviews
“Don't bother”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Don't bother to pay to get in unless you're really interested in more details. If you just want to see the work in progress(it won't be finished for a loooong time) drive past the entrance and look back or approach from the south. You can see it just fine!