“The Crazy Horse Volksmarch - once in a lifetime views” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Monuments/ Statues
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: When finally completed, this monument depicting Chief Crazy Horse on his steed will be 641 feet long by 563 feet high, the largest sculpture in the world.
Ames, Iowa
4 attraction reviews
“The Crazy Horse Volksmarch - once in a lifetime views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Last time I went to Crazy Horse, I only viewed it from the visitor center. I didn't realize how much I missed. Once in the park, you can pay $4 extra to take a bus to the base of the mountain, which will give you a better view. You can also donate a pretty penny to ride to the top. OR, if you don't have hundreds of dollars to spare, you can visit Crazy Horse in early June and participate in the annual Volksmarch like we did. The Volksmarch is an event put on every year by the American Volksport Association and attracts thousands of people. The event is a 10k (6.2 mile) walk through the woods, up the mountain, to right below Crazy Horse's head on his outstretched arm. The course is somewhat hilly and rocky, but nothing very technical and no rock climbing. The path is not suited for strollers. However, I did see a couple strollers at the top. Maybe they bypassed the hike through the woods.

Along the hike, there are a few checkpoints, portable toilets, and concession stands run by Scouts and other groups. The hike ends at the visitor center.

We took my 3.5 year old and carried my 5 month old in a backpack carrier and we certainly weren't the only ones with young kids. My 3.5 year old walked for most of the way up to the face, which was probably 3/4 of the walk. Be sure to take some water or money to buy water. Kids will probably also want a snack. It took us about 4-5 hours to complete the hike, but we could have done it in an hour less without having to accomodate little legs.

Along the way, we were treated to sneak peaks of the carving, each time a little closer. In the end, the view up close was amazing. You can see detail that just isn't visible from afar.

Back at the visitor center, there is a museum and a video about the carving. I've heard both were very good, but due to tired kids, I was unable to experience either.

• Polish first
Daphne, Alabama
79 attraction reviews
“Don't bother”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Don't bother to pay to get in unless you're really interested in more details. If you just want to see the work in progress(it won't be finished for a loooong time) drive past the entrance and look back or approach from the south. You can see it just fine!

Carriere, Mississippi
39 attraction reviews
“The Collection of American Indian Artifacts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2006

I can see both sides of the Crazy horse contoversy but I'm firmly on the Thumbs up side...The onsight musuem houses one of the finest overveiws of American Indian tribes I have ever seen.

Custer,SD.
“Crazy Horse Memorial, a Travelers Trap, Hmm ??”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

To all that have seen the Crazy Horse Memorial, and those that plan to see it, and even those that havent, As A long time traveler to the Black Hills in South Dakota, I have spent a day on each trip to see the progress of the carving. To see this mounument as it is being done, is like wishing we could have seen the great pyrimids being built, I wounder how long that took? The man and his family have inlisted the rest of their natural lives to this project. And to see it through. How many projects have we dedicated our few hours to and they havent been finished as of yet?
Education, is the key word on this project and many others like it, Mt. Rushmore, Washington Monument, ect. To learn of the Native American ways and to see and hear how they lived, died and faught to keep their lands, is part of being an American, that we all should respect. After all , they were here before the white man.
I would think that a small fee, a few cans of food or 20.00 dollors, ( a cheep nite out on the town ), would be a great gift for the younger generations to be "Educated", of the American Indian.
For those of you that just want to see it from the road, then spend the few dollors it would take to enter Crazy Horse, and invest it in a trail ride to see the area as the Indians, and some of the fore fathers did, either way you should see the Monument from a different point a view, if not just for the freash air, then the feeling of being in the natural beauty.
To all others, If Crazy Horse was completed, would it be a place to see? or then, just another tourist trap,,

Yakima
“Waste of Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

It [--] beyond description. Growing up near an Indian reservation I have seen thousands of the "sacred ceremonial beads" available 3 for 1$. Well this was just like that but they have a massive stature with a ton of cracks, chips and fissures caused from too much blasting. I work in the stone industry and because of too much "Sacred Burial Grounds" pride, they refuse goverment or private donations, make up for the lack in experience and quality craftsmanship and just blast away with too much tnt for show. People when you use dynamite this close to the final product you will cause stress cracks.

Korczak was a man of quality and a classicaly trained mason who studied under Gutzon Borglum, his children are not. They pave the road to the statue with good intentions and lots of mistakes. If your into native american culture, see this if not steer north and run forrest run.

Imagine the glamor of a $5.00 casino with a pile of rocks behind it,.and I am giving it too much credit. $10.00 wasted... so visit rushmore 8$ and the rock from 3d encounters movie just north of there. On your way stop in and see anything other than crazy horse.