“Great hotel at a great price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Canistota
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great hotel at a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel has everything; from the friendly couple that runs the hotel, the clean comfortable rooms, close to local restaurants, great price...You just can't find hotels like this anymore. I would highly recommend it if you are traveling through. Nothing like it within 100 miles!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

A spotless and very friendly little motel in a great small town. Friendly owner, great bedding and solid pillows. I even forgot my reading glasses and had a message on my voice mail within twenty minutes of leaving the place. Luckily we were eating breakfast in town so I was able to go back and they were perched on the front desk waiting for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

In regards to the reviewer that gave this motel a terrible rating, I would have treated you the same way. If you let your children go through cabinets and leave doors open, I wouldn't be friendly either. Anyway! We arrived very late and were treated with excellent service. We didn't have a reservation, but the super friendly gentleman at the front desk helped us find a room. To our surprise it was very clean and had brand new furnishings. The next morning we were treated to made-to-order French Toast! The lady in the kitchen was very nice and accommodating! If you ever accidentally pass up the Sioux Falls exit at 11pm and end up here, I highly recommend this motel!

• Stayed August 2011
mothersd, Manager at BEST WESTERN U-Bar Motel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
We are just now in a position to respond to reviews and I would like to thank you personally for the kind things you said about our property. We are a small property and each of your words were very much appreciated. Thank you again -- and come again. Judy Hale, Owner/Mgr.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I always try to get beyond big cities and look on the outskirts for something that's both a lot quieter and more affordable. I stayed at a Best Western in Vega, TX, and it was a good example of a franchise NOT holding up to Best Western standards by ANY means, not even close...

When I pulled up to the U-Bar Best Western in Canistota, SD (pop around 600!) my stay in Vega TX flashed through my head -- this IS an older motel, but that's it; the moment I went into the office and spoke with Jim and his lovely wife, I knew if the rooms looked anything like how they kept their office, I knew I'd be really glad to stay there. I told Jim about my experience in Texas, and he quickly smiled and insisted I see a room. It doesn't take an experienced detective to quickly discern these folks take incredible pride in their establishment. The rooms were not only recently remodeled, but they were neat as a pin and as clean as clean gets.

I'd been so incredibly beat up trying to take my time driving across the country, and running into very lackluster, overpriced dumpy motels; many with great staff, but let's face it, there are places you wouldn't want any of your belongings to fall onto the floor -- they're that bad. I'm in my 6th week of 'motel life' and I can honestly say that this great little treasure was SO nice I decided to stay on for nearly a week! There's not a whole lot to do in town, but who can complain when it's so quiet it's almost noisy! The overall speed limit's 15mph in the little town, and maybe a car would pass by an hour. I spent a lot of time sitting under a tree out front, using their WiFi and just being lazy.

The ONLY PROBLEM while staying there, was the usual rude people passing by who needed a motel to stay in. I must've watched 50 people pull up, take a second look, and probably wonder if it was worth going into the office or not. One by one, once they went in and booked a room and saw it, they were pretty darn happy -- or should've been. I'd heard from the owner that one person complained about the speed of the WiFi system, so I ran multiple tests using a laptop, iPad and iPhone, and I pulled better speeds that I've pulled in friend's homes -- certainly exceeding the speed test I pulled in many, many other motels. The general public as a whole will find fault more often than not with anything they can. I overheard one woman complaining about the 'hole' of a town the motel's in, asking why a motel like that's located where it is! She should've been glad to have found such a place, yet she chose to insult the proprietors about the town that's their HOME for God's sake!

If cleanliness, neatness and first class treatment is how you rate a motel, you'll easily give this FIVE STARS. Jim and his wife put on the BW requisite continental breakfast, yet they do it their way -- which is far above and beyond the Best Western "call". Pancakes, waffles or biscuits and gravy are a rotating addition, and they really go all out with many things I'm sure aren't required by the Best Western folks; hard boiled eggs, varieties of breads, cakes and pastries, all sorts of really great stuff. I more than appreciated it every morning, yet sadly had to sit and watch people let their teenage children eat like pigs, and once they'd finish their feeding frenzies, they'd just get up and walk away from a Godawful mess -- the owners of this motel put up with such an incredible amount of really spoiled and inconsiderate people, yet they live for the really nice and appreciative folks who stay there. I could never do their jobs, but they do with experience and PASSION.

Keeping an older motel is a tough undertaking, period. Yet the owners have gone to the Nth degree making sure the entire place is always up to their own personal standards -- and they maintain some pretty high standards!. I know, I've stayed in many thousands of motels, both in the US and abroad. I also worked in Quality Assurance Engineering, so I 'see' more than most do.

DO NOT MISS AN OPPORTUNITY TO STAY IN THIS WONDERFUL LITTLE OASIS -- YOU'LL BE VERY GLAD YOU DID.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
mothersd, Owner at BEST WESTERN U-Bar Motel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for all your kind statements. We just now are able to reply to responses made on Trip Adviser it's so nice to hear your kind words. Thank you again -- and come again!! Judy Hale
midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Saw their ad online prior to my trek to central Nebraska on July 9, 2010. Impressed enought to also stay with them on my return to the Twin Cities. This motel lives up to the standards of 'Best Western' and then some. Well worth the 12 mile round-trip off of I 90. I was travelling alone, and as a senior, was able to capture their surprising total nightly rate of less than $55 with my AAA card (incls taxes). Rooms were new and had quality as did the bath. Complimentary breakfast in the a.m. made the savings very significant over the 'big major inns' on I 90 closer to S.F. Friendly staff to help 'seal the deal.'

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Wadsworth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed here on the way to the Badlands, left my bike right outside the door, no worries! I live in a small city, and this place is even more quite at night. I wish more motels would go back to the single floor open the door to your car arrangement, the staff went wat out of thier way to help in any situation! Rooms were like a country home! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
stevensville, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Let's see. As other reviewer said, hard to find, in the midst of construction area (not their fault, but didn't help, either). From the outside, looked like a reconditioned seedy hotel. They gave our reservation to another person -- really. They attached our paperwork to someone else's info -- they hadn't bothered to check the names! The checkin man was a nice guy, but really! He then fuddled around and gave us another room. This room was infested with mosquitoes -- babies and adults on the walls and ceilings, in the sink, in the tub. Open the door, more fly in. Going on a mosquito killing spree at 10pm is not my idea of fun!
Next morning woman is in charge of breakfast buffet. We arrive about 15-20 before man told us it was going to end, and woman gives us death stare. Says there may not be much food left. Gets pissy when my 5 year old leaves the door to the outside open (I would, too, if I had mosquitoes like that, but heck, put a door closer on it rather than being rude to clients). There's 1 box of Froot Loops, and I have 3 kids who want it. I ask her if she has anymore. She says she'll look (tho she's obviously not happy about it), then says, nope, no more. Kids unhappy. Parents start eating. Adventurous 5 year old opens cabinet under the serving counter, and lo and behold, lots of boxes of Froot Loops. He's happy, we're happy, until woman overhears, and comes to door and gives us her best Catholic School Nun look and a really rude "EXCUSE ME!" And then tells us and the kids to stay out of the cabinets. WHAT? She lies to us about whether or not she has Froot Loops (WHAT???!!!), then has the stones to look at us like we're hooligans or something!! Is there a Froot Loop quota I don't know about? Are they on recall and in limited supply? Were my kids less entitled than the next kids to come down the pike?!! INSANE! Even without the mosquitoes and the reservation mixup, she would have left a nasty taste in our mouths for this hotel. I was shocked it was a Best Western hotel (with a AAA star rating or some such nonsense!); I thought I could count on a basic minimum of service and rooms if their name was attached, but certainly not at this property.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN U-Bar Motel? Share your experiences!