“Good quiet stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Brookings
Wichita, Kansas
“Good quiet stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Stayed one night before a visit to SDSU. We arrived too late for the pool. The water slide is only open certain days/hours so make sure you inquire about that before booking the hotel for that reason. The internet worked well but when I tried to do my VPN to get to my work e-mail, it would not work. The rooms were clean and quiet. My sons enjoyed breakfast, especially the pancake machine and the cinnamon rolls. We would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2015

We stayed here multiple times per year for four years. The rooms were always clean and fresh and the staff helpful. The morning breakfast was very good as well with many nutritious choices to start your day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

Positives - The bed is pretty comfortable and the location right off the interstate is convenient.
Negatives - slow internet even when I'm 1 of very few guests here. No fridge or microwave in the king suite. Breakfast has had 1 or 2 pieces of old fruit every morning. Fitness center is terrible. 2 treadmills, 1 eliptical and 1 stationary bike. All old and barely functioning. No weights or mats. This is probably a nice hotel for a family weekend stay due to the water slide.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, March 19, 2015
Dear Allison C,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you found our location convenient and the beds comfortable. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. We have taken note of your comments regarding the internet service and the fitness center. Please be assured that we will address these to the management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Thank you again for your time and for staying with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2015

When we checked in we were very worried because there was a VERY LARGE group of young wrestlers staying at the hotel. Our room was on the first floor and near the pool and conference room so we knew we were going to hear the kids for hours. We talked to the friendly staff at the front desk and the guaranteed us that there wouldn't be any issues. They were 100% right. We left for dinner and came back to find a silent hotel. The room and common areas were clean and they allowed our dog to stay which is top priority. Plus the hotel was very easy to get to off the interstate.

Room Tip: Not the first floor by the pool.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2015

This is your typical Holiday Inn Express. I was surprised by the price, but it was similar to the other hotels in the area. The staff were friendly. The fitness area could use some new equipment. All in all a good experience.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
GMLegacyMGMT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, January 25, 2015
Thank you for the comments regarding your most recent stay at the Holiday Express Hotel & Suites in Brookings, South Dakota. We take pride in providing a clean, comfortable room for our guests with friendly service from our staff.

As the hotel will be going through a renovation in the near future, all our fitness center equipment will be updated.
Midwestern
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2014

I normally stay at Hilton properties. I booked this hotel for a hockey tournament. The rate was $150 per night. The rooms, lobby and pool area were very clean and nice. The pool area was nice with a big slide. No alcohol allowed in the pool area. The service was sub-par. We checked in on a Friday night and had to call the operator from the business area phone to get someone to come to the front desk as instructed by their sign. The hotel provided a sheet of "rules" for the hockey folks although we didn't get one. The rules were no sticks in the hotel and no running in the hallways, etc. I am fine with those rules, but on Saturday another hockey team arrived and brought in sticks and balls and played in the hallways loudly during the day. The people at the front desk saw the kids bringing in the sticks, but did nothing. Breakfast was from 7 to 10 am. We arrived at 9:50 and they already started taking down the hot breakfast. Another family in our group arrived 15 minutes before me and they quit stocking the breakfast and were out of several items. At checkout, we weren't asked how the stay went. Service was pretty poor.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
GMLegacyMGMT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, December 11, 2014
Thank you for being our guest at our Brookings, SD Holiday Inn Express & Suites. I apologize for the poor service you received. This is not typical of our property, and please be assured this will be addressed with our employees. We expect our employees to provide exemplary service to our guests, and we fell short. Also, the hockey rules should have been the same for everyone. I apologize that wasn’t the case. This too will be addressed. The breakfast should be out until 10 am exactly. I will inform the breakfast host to leave breakfast out until the stated time. I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

I usually stay at Hilton brand hotels, but the local Hampton Inn in Brookings was already booked full when I attempted to make my reservation - so I went to my #2 choice. I called the Holiday Inn Express, and the desk associate exhausted all options in an effort to get me a room - and that she did, which was terrific and greatly appreciated. I stayed two nights this past weekend while visiting my son at SDSU for Dad's Weekend. This is a nice property - neat, clean, just a bit dated but not old or tired. Friendly, helpful staff. Located on the eastern-most side of town at the intersection of Hwy 14 and I-29. I ended up staying in the handicap-accessible room (#107) - spacious, comfortable, very nice. The bed and pillows were among the most comfortable I have ever enjoyed in a hotel. Great shower water pressured and temperature. Good climate control. My only issues were (1) noise travels in this property - I could hear people (kids) in the hall and above me running and jumping, and (2) there were some flushing problems with the toilet, but I called the front desk and they promptly dispatched maintenance. Holiday Inn has done a great deal to overhaul and improve themselves and their properties over the last decade. If you haven't checked them out in a while, I recommend that you do. They honor AAA membership with discounts and also have their own branded loyalty rewards program to earn free night stays.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Erin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express in Brookings, SD. We are very proud of our hotel and staff and strive to make our guest’s stay a pleasant one. We are glad to hear that maintenance took care of the toilet issue promptly and that you seemed to enjoy your stay otherwise.

We hope we will be your choice for accommodations when you are in the Brookings area again!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Brookings? Share your experiences!