“Comfortable Overnight” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Brookings
Torrey, Utah
“Comfortable Overnight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

For a simple overnight while passing through Brookings, this worked out great! We were impressed with the young new manager - Erin. We learned that she is a recent hospitality grad from SDSU and has worked at different hotels for the past few years. This is her first job as manager and with her can-do attitude, we think it reflects with all the staff. The room was clean & comfortable and the breakfast satisfying. We were delighted with our stay at this friendly location!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
100 Mile House, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Just a great room, we were given the last room with two queens, hotel was quiet, beds comfortable, breakfast good; If in Brookings we would stay here again. walmart just across highway, applebees right next door.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The sheets on the bed were terrible and our room never got cleaned. The air conditioning in the room was subpar too. The sheets by far were the worst thing and that should be the best. They kept coming off the corners during the night on the king bed. I believe this was primarily due to the sheets being cheap and would stick to your clothes so therefore it would pull the sheets.
One other very important note, the waterslide at the hotel has a height minimum that is strictly enforced. 48" and there is a life guide on duty that checks all the kids.
Overall the hotel is nice. The rooms are huge which is nice when you are traveling with kids.

• Stayed July 2012
Left of Center
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed a few nights in Brookings & this hotel didn't disappoint. Clean, friendly staff, nice room, and the pool w/ slide was added bonus for a restless child after a long drive. It is close to interstate, but didn't hear any noise. There's an Applebees within walking distance and plenty of other GREAT local restaurants (the Pheasant, for example) that are a short drive and should be supported.

Humboldt, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked this motel as part of a mini vacation for my little family. I choose this one over others in the area because of the water slide. I paid more for this room than i could have paid at a different motel. Looks like fun right? yeah it is for those people that allowed on it! you have to be 48" tall to ride on it and parents aren't even allowed to take their shorter kids on this slide. Wish they would have posted this on the website! They have "lifeguards" in the pool area...reading books and texting...nice. My kids were very sad that they had to stare at a water-slide they couldn't go down. Ruined our stay! Oh P.S. left my number for the manager so I could express my concerns. No call back, figures.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel if you have kids under 48"!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear crystal t,

Thank you for writing us a review. I appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I'd like to get additional detail about your experience so I have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brandon, South Dakota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I made reservation 5/21 for 2 rooms the weekend of the Brookings Arts Festival July 14th and 15th. Luckily I wanted to find out if either room had a mini fridge and called on July 12th. Thank goodness I did because they switched reservation systems and had lost our reservations! Luckily they did find rooms for us but not near each other. The room my parents stayed in was a queen bed with a pull out couch. The pull out couch had popcorn under the cushions and down the sides. The air conditioner did not work well and after a poor night of sleeping we requested a new room for them the next morning. They did move them to a room but it was on the 2nd floor. My parents are older and the stairs were difficult. We had a room poolside which had 2 full size beds. On the ceiling where you go out to the pool there was mold on the ceiling. There was very little insulation in the door or window and you could hear every little sound all night. We will not stay at this hotel again. I would rather drive 60 miles back to Sioux Falls each night than go through this again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Sheryl A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here as an overnight stop on a multiweek "Laura Ingalls Wilder" vacation. This hotel was the nicest of all that we had stayed at on our trip. The hotel looked new and was very clean and bright. The room was large which was perfect for our large family. The staff was one of the friendliest that we had encountered on our trip doing everything they could to welcome us, serve us, etc. while we were there. For example, while getting quarters to use the laundry facilities, I thanked the gentleman who helped me and he said, "Thank you for choosing to stay with us."

The pool are is small, but really it's size is comparable to most hotels we stayed at on our trip, but the bonus was the water slide (the original reason why I booked this hotel) and kiddie pool. We are usually very nervous with our youngest daughter in the pool area, but this hotel had a pool just right for her and she loved it. Our daughters enjoyed the slide as well. It was perfect for our 7 year old who had never ridden a big water slide so it was just right to help get her initiated! I wouldn't stay at this hotel just to ride on the slide, but it was a nice treat.

Breakfast was the best we've had on our trip as well. The fresh pancakes were a nice change after many places offering the standard belgium waffles. They had omelets which were very good and crispy bacon which I didn't think was possible to offer in quantities required for a "free" hotel breakfast.

We would without a doubt stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Brookings? Share your experiences!