“very poor service and I didn't even stay!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Brookings
“very poor service and I didn't even stay!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

After leaving a few messages for a manager, none of which were ever returned, I called to reserve a block of rooms for my wedding next fall.

The lady who answered the phone proceeded to tell me that the weekend of my wedding is considered to be a special event weekend and she could do a block but would not be allowed to give me a discounted rate on the block. I told her that before I proceeded with the block of rooms, I had a couple questions as I'd read a less than favorable review online. Her response to me was "Then why did you bother calling here?" I was taken back. I explained to her that I knew someone who was also blocking rooms here and that the review might have been wrong or corrected. She then proceeded to tell me that if I read such a bad review, why would I call there? I told her I thought her comment and tone was very rude and she, again, came back with "what was rude about it?" I honestly couldn't believe that I had been spoken to like that! All I could simply say was "Goodbye" and hung up.

I wish I could say that I was having a "Bridezilla" moment that caused this but I wasn't. It was completely out of nowhere.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014 via mobile

We usually stay at the Hampton when in town, but thought we would try something different. This hotel is clean and for the most part quiet. Clean rooms and modern decor. Shower and toilet are in separate room from sink and mirror. So if you have someone sleeping in the room it is impossible to get ready to leave without waking them. Our room was not ready when we got there, so we had to go kill time waiting for it. Our only other issue was the closed whirl pool for cleaning. (It was a weekend) It was the main reason we decided to try this hotel. We even asked when we booked room if the pool and whirlpool were open and operational. They said yes, it is always open. Ok, I know sometimes things happen, but when I called the day before we checked in, just to make sure everything was set and arrival time, everything was fine. We also got many emails from them saying they were ready for our arrival in the weeks prior to check in date. And nothing saying pool or whirlpool out of order. So really disappointed, and next trip we may have to go back to Hampton or try Holiday Inn Express. The weekend we stayed, they had trouble keeping up with breakfast as people came to eat. Other than those issues, it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2014
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

I stayed here with friends for a football game in September, 2014. The hotel was updated sometime in the last few years, and it looks much better than it did before. Breakfast was good, and the rooms were comfortable. I have found a pretty consistent experience at most Fairfields, and this was no different.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Fairfield I, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Brookings, responded to this review, November 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairfield Inn & Suites Brookings. We are happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and hope to see you the next time you stay in Brookings!

Nicole Barkus
Sturgis, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Clean, nice hotel...friendly staff, located near I29, gas station and Applebee's near by. Kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub...breakfast is not the greatest...but that would be my only complaint. Easy access to SDSU campus and downtown Brookings

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

Hello fellow travelers, I wanted to drop a note about the great service we experienced at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Brookings, SD. We walked in to a wonderful greeting, one of my favorite things when I’m checking in to a hotel. I was greeted by Carla, and I have never walked into a hotel and had someone so genuinely happy that I was checking in. I’m from Boston, Mass., and she picked up on my accent right away and we made small talk about different parts of the country and the cultural differences. She’s checking me in and notices I’m a rewards member with Marriott, she thanked me for being a rewards member and it wasn’t that busy the evening I checked in, and she offered me an upgrade. What a beautiful room I was given, king size mattress, and if any of you know Marriott, you know their mattresses and sheets are very comfortable. Housekeeping is outstanding; the room was so clean and so fresh as well as the rest of the hotel. Breakfast is always a special treat at Fairfield’s, great selection of breakfast goodies and hot coffee around the clock. A late checkout was requested and was promptly ok’d, Easy checkout and Carla was working when I checked out, even though she was busy working at the front desk she still had time to visit and chat for a little bit before we got back on the road. Another hotel I’d recommend and stay at when passing through Brookings again. Thanks Carla, I’m so glad you were there.

Room Tip: Ask for Carla
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The staff was extremely efficient and the room was spotless and very comfortable. Also luxury shampoo and toiletries. Also the pool was open quite late which gave an opportunity to swim after being out for the evening.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Very clean and comfortable place. Love the beds!!!!! Very easy on the eyes they really take care of there property. I would highly recommend this hotel. Very close to a place to grab a bit to eat.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Fairfield Inn Brookings? Share your experiences!