“always clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Northern Lights Inn

Northern Lights Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Britton
Northern Lights Inn
205 Vander Horck, PO BOX 362, Britton, SD 57430   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Britton
SD
“always clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stay at this hotel every time I visit family in Britton, and the rooms are always clean. I did not give it a 5 star review, for a small reason - when I ask for no room service it would be nice to get no room service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My experience is consistent with everyone else. I had a horrific experience here in 2011 and was excited to see the Holiday Inn had bought "them out;" making the assumption that I would get consistent good service from other Holiday Inns and as noted in their commercials. I was sad to here the afraid staff that are nice, almost reluctantly refer me to the "manager." I don't have to say much more...just read the rest of the posts. She is by far the rudest, most unprofessional person and basically incompetent in the service industry. I'm not sure if the owner is a relative, mistress or if the Holiday Inn actually has some oversight, but they would be doing the entire Britton community a service by getting rid of her!!! Maybe a good firing and personal reflection will teach her to actually listen and learn to care.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently, and was a little bit leery, because of the poor trip advisor reviews. However, the stay was worse than I expected. Although the front desk and cleaning ladies were both incredibly nice, I was completely put off by their mandatory cleaning policy & lack of green initiative.

I would like to start off by saying that I am a seasoned traveler, having stayed at avariety of hotels (from small motel-like hotels to 5-star resorts). I have stayed all over the world, and I would say that this is the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Having traveled all day before arriving, I thought that I could spend the next morning and early afternoon lounging and resting. There were no "do not disturb" signs, so naturally, the girls woke me up to clean my room. When I tried to decline, they said it was against policy not to clean the room. I logically explained that I just got in the night before, and I was still using the bed that they insisted on stripping and remaking.

It is incredibly awkward and irritating to stand by while someone cleans your room while you are in it. I also felt that it was ridiculous that they insisted on completely stripping my bed and putting on fresh sheets (since I planned on crawling back in). They also threw away my bar of soap and gave me a new one. How wasteful. The girls seemed apologetic, and told me that if I had any concerns, I could speak with the manager, who was sitting at the front desk. And I did, much to my own dismay.

I was appalled at the manager. Not only did she continuously interrupt me while I tried to plead my case that this was not stellar customer service. She also said that most hotels are uneducated and the green initiative is leading to infestations. Basically implying that by not cleaning my bed, I would lead to an outbreak of some sort. (It's not like I'm carrying around anthrax or some other agent of biological terror in my back pocket). Pretty offensive, really. Not to mention that she basically appeared to question my intelligence by disputing my desire to use bedding for 2 days in a row. When I told her that this is why she has negative reviews on trip advisor, and why she has unsatisfied guests, she actually said "we've been open for 8 years, I could care less about 4 bad reviews on trip advisor." That is disheartening to me that she couldn't care less about my experience. I was a paying guest. And caring about the perception and comfort of your guests should be your #1 initiative. Needless to say, I will probably never be back.

Additionally:
--I had to request an iron and ironing board from the front desk (a normal amenity in most hotel rooms). And there was mildewy water that someone else had previously left in the thing that left my clothes smelling funny.
--Breakfast is definitely adequate. Toast and cold cereal. My only recommendation to owners would be a waffle maker. They are inexpensive and would add much satisfaction to the breakfast options.
--Housekeeping should be an optional feature that is always offered, but something that someone can refuse if it is an inconvenience.

I will say, the room itself was nice and appropriately priced. The front desk attendants and housekeepers were very friendly. I just wish the manager got off her high horse and listened for a change. I'm sure this review will make no difference to her, but hopefully others will be aware of what they are getting into before they arrive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a clean hotel with friendly, helpfull staff. the internet speed was good and the comfort of the room was good. The reason for 4 instead of 5 on the rating is my request for no housekeeping service was ignored 3 days in a row.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

i drive truck for a living and stay at many hotels throughout my travels. Not once has someone gone out of their way to find me a room to stay, However the young girl working the desk at the hotel asked where i was headed,looked the route up on map quest then proceeded to call the nearest hotel to ensure i would have a room waiting for me when i arrived.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Indio, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We found our stay at the Northern Lights Inn one of the best experiences our on trip. The staff was helpful and polite. Traveling with teenagers, we were all treated with respect by the staff and the manager. The room was comfortable and properly maintained. The grounds were clean, and the breakfast area met all of our needs. I would stay here again, and I would recommend it to others!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The manager has to be the rudest person I have come across working behind a counter in some time. Expect everything in your room to be moved and reorganized as room service is mandatory even though it is not posted. They will even go through your stuff or you! We checked out 3 days early as we found it to be a nightmare and relocated to Aberdeen.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Northern Lights Inn? Share your experiences!