“Great Chinese Place” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: On west side of 5th Avenue half a block north of State Street. Parking on west end of State Street just around the corner from the restaurant.
“Great Chinese Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

While on our way to Montana we stopped in here to grab some dinner. We thought it was going to be an average Chinese buffet but we were very wrong. We got the "Dinner C" with crab rangoons, egg drop soup, beef lo mein and chicken with spicy garlic sauce. All of it was fantastic. In fact we were in agreement that the egg drop soup was the best we've ever had. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone stopping in Bell Forche.

Stacey R, Public Relations Manager at China Garden, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you so much for stopping in! All our food is made fresh, to order and the family prides itself on providing their customers with good service and wonderful food. We hope you will return to try out other menu offerings also! Best wishes in your travels.

“Terrific Food - Terrific Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We were not expecting to find such a great Chinese restaurant in rural South Dakota. This is a charming little place, well decorated in the downtown area of Belle Fourche. Our appetizers included Crab Rangoon (unusual shape but great taste) and Pork Potstickers. Both were great. Our entrees included beef fried rice for our children, General Tso's Chicken (which was perhaps the best my wife had ever had according to her) and the Kung Pao Trio. All were freshly prepared, served hot, and with great service. The Chinese doughnuts were delicious and substantial for desert. In short, this restaurant was an absolute delight. The people of Belle Fourche are lucky to have such a high quality Asian restaurant in their community. We would HIGHLY recommend it!

Stacey R, General Manager at China Garden, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
As you noted, the crab rangoons ARE a different shape because they are all made right there in the kitchen of New China Garden! We are so glad that your whole family enjoyed their meals here. Ken is truly a great chef and the rest of the family all work to the success of this establishment. Helen loves meeting people and people have come from all over world to Belle Fourche. We appreciate your kind words of our restaurant and hope you will be back!
Belle Fourche, South Dakota
“Great food! A little pricier than expected...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I took a spontaneous road trip and found ourselves in Belle Fourche, SD. We found this restaurant on Tripadvisor and after reading the rave reviews gave it a try. We ordered delivery to our hotel room and were more than pleased with the friendly service, timely delivery and really good food. We ordered 2 combination platters and an order of fried crab rangoon. The menu here on Tripadvisor lists those at $6.50 each for the platters and $3.50 for the rangoon = $16.50. Our order came to $30 and some odd change. No complaints at all for the quality of the food or service just think the menu could be updated to reflect current pricing :)

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stacey R, Public Relations Manager at China Garden, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
My sincerest apologies for the pricing error! The menu listed is the lunch combination and we will certainly update as soon as possible! I am so glad you enjoyed your meal and the convenience of having it delivered to your hotel. We hope you will come again!
Vista, Ca
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We went here based on the glowing reviews. Sure it was a decent chinese restaurant but really nothing special to write home about. Maybe for the locals it very good but for anyone who has eaten chinese food in a large city like San Francisco or LA it was just average. We didn't get a chance to try any other restaurant in this pretty quiet town so while it might be the best in town there might not be all that much competition.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stacey R, Public Relations Manager at China Garden, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for your review PopTopBob. As with any cuisine, there are so many ways of making dishes and even in China, different provinces use different levels and types of seasoning. We are glad you enjoyed your meal. We do have some regulars that just ask for Ken to make them something "spicy" or "super spicy" and Ken will whip up something unique.
Oregon
“What a Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I have had business recently in South Dakota that has required me to stay in Belle Fourche on two occasions. The first trip to Belle Fourche last year my client, who is local, insisted that we eat here. You can imagine I was slightly skeptical and expected at best, bland standard Chinese Food that one can find in most small towns across America. What a surprise. This is as good as any Chinese food I have had elsewhere (and I lived/worked in San Francisco for three years, so I think I am a fair judge).

The menu offers a wide variety of options and the food is freshly prepared to order, (so expect a bit slower service than you would at a typical "steam table" restaurant, but so worth the wait.) I was here again in the past week and found that it was still every bit as good. I was able to meet the owner, Helen, and have a nice chat with her. Very classy yet humble lady. I can highly recommend the orange beef. Keep in mind, that the food starts out at a basic level of heat, but can be easily spiced up on request. I am looking forward to my next trip to Belle Fourche so I can again eat at the China Garden!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stacey R, Public Relations Manager at China Garden, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Your review speaks volumes! Many people are accustomed to "steam table" Chinese food and are pleasantly surprised to receive freshly made to order food here. As you experienced, Ken and Helen will "heat it" to your taste preference! We look forward to a return visit!