“Have never left a Hampton Inn” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Members Save
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in West Columbia
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Have never left a Hampton Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

After traveling several hours from south Florida my wife and I decided to stop in Columbia for the night. We looked ahead and found this Hampton Inn. It wasn't but just two days ago that I made a comment to my wife that I have never been disappointed in a Hampton Inn.
When we arrived we were greeted by a woman who was very nice, could not have asked for a better greeting. After getting our keys we began to walk down the hallway to the elevator and couldn't help but notice that the carpet in the hallways seemed as if they haven't been vacuumed in several days. There was dirt along the ceilings and about 60% of all the doors in the hallway were filthy.
When we arrived at our room there was a lamp shade that was desperately in need of being replaced, spots all over the end tables, hair in the bathtub, the tile leading into the room hadn't been swept. We thought about just staying and dealing with it for one night but after only five minutes decided that we were not going to spend the night and we went down to check out. I have never called customer service before on a hotel and haven't even thought of doing so with any Hilton hotel we have ever stayed in, needless to say I did just that. We checked into another Hampton just north of our previous location and couldn't be more pleased with not only the location compared to W. Columbia, but the hotel in general.
Again I appreciate the courtesy of the staff, but really would recommend working on the sterility, tidiness, and cleanness of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Athens, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Access to the elevators in the middle of the hotel via narrow hotel hallways. Narrow space on the third floor from the elevator to the guest rooms made it difficult to get your luggage in and out of the hotel. Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Chappells, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

this was a very comfortable and clean hotel. loved the room décor, and lobby area was very inviting. My husband was having heart surgery at the Lexington Medical Center, and my room provided me with the comfort I needed at such a time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Like most Hampton Inn's, the one in West Columbia is completely adequate. The hotel is a little older than some Hamptons, and is a trifle tired in some respects. The outside entrance key lock, for example, worked very poorly and the staff did not seem to be very interested. Neverthless, the room was clean, the breakfast was good, and the experience was entirely satisfactory.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We select this hotel because it is close to family we are visiting, and the staff and accommodations are outstanding and always make us feel welcome. The complimentary breakfast is also a big plus and the variety is more than anyone would need before starting their day. The manager even hugged us before leaving, and told us to make sure we returned for our next family visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Fayetteville, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

First off the iron was broken (had a hole chipped off the side of the plate) which burned my arm by letting scalding hot water spill on me when I started to iron my shirt. Also, the shower curtain rod was coming out of the wall and sagging. The shower curtain was ripped, allowing water to get on the floor. You could see the water damage starting above the tiles. The bed was comfortable and the room was pretty clean I guess. The furniture was nice. The continental breakfast wasn't great, but hey its continental. It just didn't seem up to the typical Hampton Inn standard. Also the manager asked me how my stay was and I told her about the iron. She said she would put Hilton Points back in my account and be sending something in the mail. Neither ever happened. I'm not very picky and just want a comfortable, clean bed and a working iron. This place was just a let down I guess.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the Interstate.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

For the most important part: My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the room temperature was good. The free breakfast was typical Hampton Inn fair - nothing overly exciting but good enough. The hotel is convenient to the airport and a highway exit.

The less important things: The elevator and hallways were not very clean, but not disgustingly dirty either. One elevator was under repair. The fitness center was a lot better than most hotels with dumbells, a Swiss Ball and room to do other things besides a stationary bike or treadmill. The staff I interacted with were not the most outwardly friendly people (as stated by another reviewer), but they were not rude or horrible.

I don't agree with a previous reviewer that called this hotel "The Worst Hampton Inn in the United States." I have certainly stayed in better and I have unfortunately stayed in much, much worse. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best, I'd probably rate this hotel a 7 or 8.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Airport? Share your experiences!