“A Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 126 Restaurants in West Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
“A Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Hash & rice was fantastic. Greens were tasty. Plenty of food for a great price! Not fancy, but oh so good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, SC
“WONDERFUL!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Today, I had the great pleasure of visiting True BBQ for the first time. Believe me, this will not be the last time I eat in that establishment. All other BBQ restaurants in the Columbia, SC area (which includes West Columbia) fail in comparison to True BBQ. I would like to add that it is locally owned. The food is cooked fresh on site. In fact, as I approached the building, a gentleman was in front with the smoker. The scent from the smoker just primes one for a good meal. I ordered the chicken breast, potato salad (made fresh on site), macaroni and cheese (just like my grandmother made) and baked beans. True BBQ offers 3 flavors of BBQ sauce - tomato base, mustard base and (red) malt vinegar base. The chicken breast was so flavorful with the smoked flavor, that I added no sauce. It was so tender and moist, the meat fell off the bone. What more can I say? I highly recommend this BBQ restaurant over all others in the area. I would also like to add that the restaurant is light and airy and extremely clean.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Superb pulled pork!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I stopped by recently based on other reviews and have to agree -- it is a hidden gem in 'Traingle City'. Run by two Brookland-Cayce Bearcats (my old high school)-- their food is great. It reminds me of a well-known BBQ place in Lockhart, TX that doesn't serve sauce. We got there near closing time on a Friday and it seemed to take a long time for our order to come up. Very friendly staff and when the plates arrived they were delicious. Every order -- whether pulled pork, ribs, chicken, turkey wings or pork chops comes with hash and rice that is very good. The options for your 2 sides should be able to please everyone. My wife tried the beans and collards (which she thought were overcooked although tasty) and I had corn and slaw. We'll probably try different sides next visit. Only the tomato based sauce was available -- the sauce didn't add anything since the meat was great without it. My wife was a bit concerned with the location after dark but it is right down from the Zesto and the grill/smoker is right out front. I would imagine that it can get crowded (limited seating and parking) earlier in the day. The dining area is definitely not anything special but the food makes it worth the visit.

Check out their website (which is slow to load): http://www.true-bbq.com/index.html

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, South Carolina
“Good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The BBQ is very good. The only draw back to me was you can't get BBQ sandwiches everthing is plates. The sides are greens, mac and cheese and some other items which were very good. The building is very small.

Visited January 2013
Mars Hill, North Carolina
“Great barbecue and sides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This place is exactly what a barbecue spot should be. We pulled into the parking lot and there was the set of grills, smoking and cooking up some great food. The interior is small, basic, but also clean and friendly. The ribs are cooked with a rub, and what a rub! and the sauce served on the side. ""hash" and rice" and beans were my sides - both really good. We will absolutely make a detour to spot by next time we are in the area.

• Visited December 2012