“Not as good as it could be.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in West Columbia
Kansas City, Missouri
“Not as good as it could be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have been staying at Holiday Inns for our vacation in South Carolina. Before this one, we stayed at the one in Mt. Pleasant, which was a very good experience. Then we came to this one.
Given the impressive lobby, and the friendly staff, we expected a lot. Yes, the hotel rooms were clean, but since they didn't have a junior suite like the one we had in Mt. Pleasant, the room was smaller, and so was the bathroom. Still, it wasn't bad. The hotel even has a sports restaurant attached to it.
One of the htings we base our choice on when looking for a place to stay is the offer of a free breakfast, and our AAA tour book said it provided one. The hotel doesn't have it's own breakfast room, instead you have to eat in the sports restaurant. When I went in the next morning to eat, I was asked if I had a voucher, which I did not. I told the hostess I was a guest at the hotel, but she told me I would have to order off the regular menu.
I went back to my room to pick up the tour book and verify that we were to get a free breakfast. It said we were, so with thebook in hand I went to the front desk and showed it to them. They seemed puzzled by it, even wanting to check that the book was a recent one. Then they gave me the voucher I probably should have gotten when I checked in and they saw I had made the reservation through AAA. And event though I had to order from a special menu for voucher pruchases, I will admit the breakfast I had was very good and filling.
My wife took this time at the hotel to do some much needed laundry. The washer is a front loader like she has at home, and when she opened the door to load it, she found there was mold on the gaskets. She always keeps the door on her washer open so mold doesn't collect, but there was no sign on the hotel washer telling users to leave the door open. Also, I would think housekeeping could check on a regular basis for mold.
I should also mention the swiimming pool. We didn't use it, but it's so small a family of four would half fill it up. And there is an apparently abandoned motel next door to this property, and it's really rundown, which makes for a nice view from your window.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for continuous visits with Holiday Inn. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I understand that you were looking forward to a complimentary breakfast based on information listed in the AAA Tour Book. However, I would like to inform you that this information is false and has since been corrected, as we do not know how this information was falsely included in the book initially. Moreover, I am sorry that you were not able to do your laundry. Our staff has taken this into consideration and will make every effort to ensure that machines meet all guests’ expectations. Thank you again for your business and comments and we look forward to making your next experience a great one.

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We came to Columbia for a concert at Williams Brice Stadium. The Holiday Inn West Columbia was easy to find and easy to get to being just off the interstate. The front desk staff was terrific! The check in process went quickly and smoothly. The room itself was clean and spacious. In fact, my husband said it was the nicest room he had ever stayed in! The breakfast vouchers were great and the selection was enough for all choices. We will definitely be staying here the next time we visit Columbia!

• Stayed May 2013
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Arrived at 10:00PM at hotel for overnight stay and business meeting with breakfast off site in the morning where I was to be picked up at the hotel at 8:00AM. Room nice and clean. Got up at 7:00 AM to get ready. Went into bath to turn on shower...shower did not work...handle would spin in my hand and was clearly broken. I fiddled with it for a bit to see if I could make it work. Nothing. So, with no time to change rooms, I had to wash my hair in the sink and used a wash cloth to clean myself as best I could. Got dressed and went down to front desk to drop key and check out. Told person at front desk what happened and he said that he was sorry and to have a nice day...hun? After pressing him he offered a comp $8.00 breakfast...hun? I left and won't go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Gordon M,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for the bathroom conditions that did not meet your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our amenities continually. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast SERVICE is horrible, extremely lazy service and removing the buffett was a huge mistake. BUT your night staff is wonderful. Taylor is very personable, great server and always has a smile on her face. Nick too, he's a great head bartender, remembers the regulars and makes us feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Booked a room for me and my husband "to get away". I reserved a room type with " 2 Queen Beds, NON SMOKING". We checked in and the young woman at the front was very pleasant. We went to the room, and I started to unpack my toiletries, and noticed that the restroom had a really strong musty smell, I called the front desk, and the same young lady was very professional, and switched rooms. I had to walk back up to my room, due to the Elevator not working??? We moved from room 527 to room 521. I unpacked, and went to stretch out on the bed, and noticed that my feet came to the end of the bed?? I am 5'4" tall, and sleep on a Queen bed at home, at this point my Husband who is 6'1" is stretched out, and his feet are hanging over...He is looking at me like I've gone loco?? I kept insisting that these were not "Queen Size" beds. We went to grab some dinner, and when I came back to the hotel, a gentleman by the name of "Jeff", was at the front desk. I proceeded to ask him if we were put in a room with 2 double beds by mistake, at which point he clarified that we had two Queen beds. I explained to Jeff that I had a Queen bed at home, and my cat sleeps at the foot of the bed, and I had plenty of room. He went into an explanation of it being a "Special" Mattress, and that it was considered a "Queen Size". I was really blindsided by this explanation due to the fact I have stayed at lots of hotels in my travels that had Queen beds, and never had this come up? That got me started...LOL I looked up the size of twin, full (double), Queen, and King size. And the standard size for a Queen Bed is 60 x 80, a full bed is 53 x 74. So now how do I measure? I took an 8.5 x 11 paper, and laid them lengthwise which had 6 full sheets, and 1/2 a sheet. ( 6 x 11=66 plus an extra 6 inches) =73" Length, and the width took just at 5 sheets
( 5 x 11)=55" Width. This measurement IS NOT A QUEEN...We were put in a room with 2 Full Beds. Of course after having to change rooms once already, I didn't want to be a pain in the BEHIND, and complain AGAIN...so we dealt with it....Until the next day...LOL, then my Husband got curious...(he said he was defending my honor, LOL). We bought a tape measure, and sure enough, it was a Full Size mattress. We had been at the Zoo all day, and I decided to take a Hot bath...all went well until I tried to let out the water? Wanted to use the shower to wash my hair? The water took 10 minutes to drain...At this point my Hubby gave me a sleeping pill...Ha Ha and I went to sleep on my "Full Sized Mattress". My husband did talk to another gentleman in the morning at check out, and he decided that he would write the corporate office to find out about the Mattress Size?
MOST OF THE STAFF WERE FRIENDLY. I was expecting to have a fridge, and microwave in the room, (disappointing), and the coffee maker was a joke...LOL When I did get coffee in the lobby mine was lukewarm. NO Continental Breakfast....
I WOULD LOOK FOR ANOTHER HOTEL WITH BETTER AMENITIES....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I apologize about your inconveniences with your stay. I would especially like to apologize about the elevator not working. As soon as I was informed about the elevator I called our service technician and I am happy to say that the elevator was up and running by the time you awoke the following morning. I would also like to apologize about the shower not draining well. We have a very tightly regimented preventative maintenance program that ensures that everything is working properly. Thank you for letting us know that your drain was not working up to your expectations. This issue has already been resolved.

I would also like to apologize about any bed size confusion. I can assure you that there are absolutely no full size beds on our property. We only have queen size beds and king size beds. As is a Holiday Inn standard we only have Serta beds. Here is the sizing chart that shows the sizes: http://www.serta.com/files/Serta_Size_chart.pdf. I would be happy to address this concern further if you wish.

I also understand your disappointment with the lack of microwaves and fridges in the standard rooms. We do provide these added amenities in our suites. Please allow me to explain about not having a continental breakfast. A continental breakfast is one of the few amenities available in a limited service Holiday Inn Express. The benefit to a full service hotel's breakfast, such as our own, is in our preparation and options that you receive. We have a full breakfast menu where we can order a personalized dish in the wonderful atmosphere of the Sporting News Grill or choose to relax comfortably and have the breakfast be delivered to you in the comfort of your room.

Thank you again for your review, and hopefully I have addressed all of your concerns. We hope to serve you again.
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This Hol Inn was chosen for the location as it is 1 hour drive exactly to the Masters Golf Tournament. Much better value for this week than in Augusta itself. Drive is direct on the interstate with no problem. Good services and Sports Bar. All staff were very friendly and welcoming. There are also good restaurants to the east and not far from the historic downtown.
Very good lobby coffee!

Room Tip: Like a room overlooking the parking lot - like to keep a watch on the car.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn & Suites in West Columbia, SC this weekend to attend a showing of Les Miserables at the downtown venue, the Koger Center. We booked on hotwire.com and received a very reasonable rate. The hotel was easily located using GPS, and parking was a snap. The lobby was inviting, and while the hotel was busy due to several downtown happenings, the check in process was quick and painless. I want to especially commend the front desk staff ( I wish I had gotten his name!) because he was personable, and informative. Without me even asking, he printed directions to the Koger Center and went over with me the pros and cons of taking a taxi downtown vs. driving there ourselves.

We found our room easily, and it was a good size and clean. The furnishings were nice, and the pillows were plentiful. They even gave you several types to choose from, from hard to soft, each being labeled as to their level of firmness. The beds, too, were comfortable. No complaints.
The front desk again came through for us when we called to request a taxi. They had one waiting on us at the time we requested and this made our quick trip downtown uneventful. The cab ride was about 10 minutes and cost $15.
We ate at a restaurant called Ristorante Divino in the Vista district. The food and service was great. The atmosphere was a little stuffy, but we were overall pleased with our choice.

The ONLY complaint I have about our night at the Holiday Inn in West Columbia concerns the restaurant. I do realize it's separate from the hotel, but it is offered as the only option for the hotel guests so I feel it's fair to include our experience here in our review. For one thing, one of the reasons we picked a 3 star hotel over a four star on trip advisor is it listed free breakfast as an amenity. So, we were suprised that the hot buffet was not part of our hotel price. No worries though, it was a hot buffet, not a continental, right? Well, thats up for debate. The price of the breakfast buffet at the sidelines buffet was $9.50. It was not worth that. When we got there at 9:15, the only appetizing thing on the buffet were the eggs. They looked fluffy and edible. The sausage looked greasy, the biscuits were empty, as was the bacon. The grits had a film over them. The service was lacking. We were not greeted, we were not given menus until we asked, and then we had to ask for the bacon and biscuits to be refilled twice before it happened. We inquired about the price and were told that it was $9.50 UNLESS you had a voucher. I immediately went to the front desk and the lady was VERY friendly. She patiently listened to my complaints and seemed genuinely dismayed. Quickly she rectified the situation by giving me 4 complimentary vouchers.
Once the biscuits and bacon were refilled we were happy with that part of the breakfast. Maybe it was just the other food wasn't fresh and that was why it wasn't appetizing. I was happy that the staff was quick to rectify the situation. I would however not chose to eat at sidlelines grill again, even if it was free. Just not great.

In closing, I will say this was a good, affordable option when needing something close to downtown Columbia. It's a short car-ride away. It's also conveniently located, right off the interstate.

Room Tip: Breakfast is not free unless you have a voucher.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport? Share your experiences!