“excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Walterboro
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our stay at sleep inn was excellent. Lobby was very nice and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very clean and smelled fresh. Breakfast was more than what we expected compare to price paid. We will always stay here when we are passing through here. We will highly recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Savannah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is one of the nicest hotel we have stayed at. Hotel is very nice, clean and comfortable. Staff is Friendly. Few restaurants near by. We will recommend this hotel because of its location and cleanliness.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stopped at sleep inn on our way to Florida. It's very nice and clean. Rooms are very clean and we enjoyed the flat screen tv. Staff is very friendly. Breakfast was nice. Location is very excellent as it is close to i95 so its easy in and out. We will definitely stay on our way back and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

After having a couple of so-so experiences at the Walterboro Microtel one exit south, I decided to try this newer motel at the exit closer to "downtown," near a Walmart, some fast foods, and Duke's BBQ, which was closed on Mondays last time I drove through here. So I timed my trip to be here on a Tuesday night, and found that Duke's is now CLOSED ON TUESDAYS TOO. I think I'm done with Walterboro.

The Sleep Inn evening clerks were friendly enough, but didn't seem terribly competent. I had to press for information about breakfast, and had to return to the front desk for info on wi-fi (password). As it turned out, the wi-fi NEVER WORKED. The flatscreen TV is bolted fast to the wall, and completely unpositionable. The bathroom has a sliding door, so at least door-knee clearance is not an issue.

The room was fairly comfortable, but it appeared that renovations were taking place elsewhere in the motel, and an area near the lobby looked like they had recently had a flood. Mops and buckets and wall repairs were in evidence. A wall sconce in my room had a burned out light bulb, and a nail was protruding from the carpet tack strip outside the bathroom (see photos). Good thing I noticed it- a nasty cut could result with bare feet.

The motel is walking distance from a gas station and a mini-DQ. There are a couple of fast-foods up the road a piece, but not a pleasant walk, especially in cold/hot weather. Upon returning to the Sleep Inn, I noticed a couple of nefarious characters lurking just outside the front entrance, and got worried about my car, which was loaded with A-V gear. Fortunately, they eventually went away, and the gear was there in the morning.

Breakfast was somewhat below average, with less than the usual pickings. I brought my own coffee (Melitta), however theirs was not too bad. But when I lifted the lid on the steam table of sausage, it smelled positively like SEWAGE. Very off-putting, to say the least.

For $70, this place is no bargain; it should be half that price. I'd stay away from the breakfast entirely. After stopping in Walterboro for a third time in six years, and experiencing very blah accommodations every time, and having Duke's closed no matter when I stop here, I think I'm done with Walterboro. You get much more choice and value in the Florence area.

Room Tip: Stay in the Florence area instead.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cartersville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Got a good room and rate! Night staff is great. Day staff is another story...they closed the breakfast down early and when questioned as to why, she replied "dey ain't enuff people stayin heah today, so we's shut it down early". When I checked out, she didn't bother to ask me how my stay was, apparently she was uninterested...one other thing, this practice of the housekeepers banging on the door before 10:00a.m. has got to stop. If I wanted to be treated that way, I'd stay at Motel6. (Looks like the inmates are running the asylum)
'

Room Tip: Stay on the side away from the highway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Parkersburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

CHOICE HOTELS should take this one off their list. It appeared they were doing renovations. There was a smeared place on the wall in the lobby. The room numbers were taped onto the wall with duct tape. I was going to phone the lobby about the bathroom floor being dirty, and noticed that although we were in room 112, the phone said it was for room 115. The room only had a coffee maker. No microwave nor a refrigerator. There was a flat screen TV on the wall.

The floor in the bathroom was so filthy my shoes stuck to it. I wouldn't think of taking a shower in that bathroom. Just washed as best I could at the sink. I went out & told the girl at the desk about it. She shrugged her shoulders & said that it must be what they cleaned the floor with. The nex morning at breakfast I spoke with another guest. He said the floor in his bathroom was sticky too. Their continental breakfast was fair. Belgan waffles, cold cereal, juice, etc. No hot buscits & gravy.

Their outside lighting was very poor. Difficult to locate the hotel after dark as it is about half a block off the main road.

Room Tip: Some of your previous reviews were helpful in that they advised to ask for a room away from the high...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We thought our room smelled very fresh and clean. Although not overly large it had everything we wanted, The only drawback was the over pass so near the hotel, meant we could hear the traffic but being from the country we were not used to traffic noise!
The breakfast was free but very limited as to what you could have and the seating was very cramped.
The value was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a non noisy room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!