“Incredible Gem of a place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
new york
“Incredible Gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was driving my brother back to New York after his wintering in Florida. We stopped here in Waltersboro, SC, and didn't expect to find anyting more than a Shoney's or a Cracker Barrel. I am so glad this place was recommended to us. We had a fantastic meal and a memorable evening. He had chicken parm and I had the veal dennis. Absolutely the best meal on the road in a long time. And the limoncello cake was so light and fluffy, I thought I died and went to heaven. Bravo to Carmine's.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tallahassee, Florida
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband enjoyed the spaghetti--better than a fancy Expensive Atlanta restaurant he ate in recently. I enjoyed shrimp over linguine with olive oil, garlic, wine, and parmesan. (Not on menu--but they offered to make it when I asked for scampi.) The waitress also sent us complimentary homemade limoncello after the meal. I loved it! Also the salads were quite good with a nice basalmic vinagrette.

Visited April 2013
cape coral
“A pleasant surprise in a little town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

After driving north on I-95 we stopped in Walterboro, SC for the night. The hotel had suggested this restaurant and we needed a place to wind down after a long and challenging trip on the "parking lot" that was I-95. The restaurant was located in what looked to be the center of town that appeared to be in the process of revitalization. The restaurant was cute, with about 20 tables and offered a full bar (which was fine by us after our long awful drive!) The waitress was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. We each ordered something different, but all meals came with salad and rolls. My father had Chicken Parmesan which is his staple dish and he enjoyed it immensely. I originally ordered Eggplant Parmesan, but they had sold the last portion, so I opted for Gnocchi with meat sauce. The portion was plentiful and it was delicious. My husband ordered a seafood dish and he too was very satisfied with both the portion size as well as taste. Overall, we were very pleased with our choice of restaurants and our dinners. When we are in the area again making the trek north, we will be sure to stop in again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“A Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stopped at Carmines while shopping at the row of antique stores in downtown Walterboro. We didn't expect to find such a treasure. We sat near the window where we had a great view of the waterfall across the street and watch other shoppers walk along the street. They're friendly, warm and greet you with fresh, warm bread. Their menu ranges from spaghetti to those harder to find dishes familiar to other areas of Italy. It's obvious they make their own bread and pasta. While there, we also heard friendly exchanges in Italian, which made it feel like we were in a cafe in Italy and not SC. Everything was fresh and delicious. I'll definitely be going back when I'm in Walterboro.

Visited January 2013
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Bit of an odd place.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were in Walterboro for the antiques and realized it was getting late for lunch. We had be referred to this place by the Visitor Center of I-95. It was an odd place inside. Dark and the ceiling fans were at full speed. It was very cold. I looked at the menu and nothing spoke to me but the others were hungry. The waitress was a hoot. Called everything "samiches". I had a prosciutto and mozzarella on a nice piece of bread/roll. Would have been nice to have some greens on it but they did supply some balsamic vinegar on the side. Probably would go elsewhere on another trip to this town.

Visited April 2013