“Pay for the trolley tour to really enjoy this place” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Charleston Tea Plantation is the home of American Classic Tea, tea grown in America. It is located on picturesque Wadmalaw Island in the heart of South Carolina's Lowcountry. Its grounds include 127 acres of Camellia Sinensis tea plants, a working Tea Factory and a charming Plantation Gift Shoppe. Also available to guests is an adventurous and educational Trolley Tour that explores the scenic grounds that produce American Classic Tea. Complimentary tea is served to visitors throughout the day
Maryland
15 attraction reviews
“Pay for the trolley tour to really enjoy this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

A day trip to Wadmalaw Island is worth drive - and this is a must-do. There's a short video factory tour and free samplings of tea in their large gift shops. But to get the most out of your visit - pay for the trolley tour. Our guide was fabulous - it's a combination of the guide talking and a recording. This is the only commercial tea plantation in the US - and they do a great job of explaining it's history and how tea is produced. And don't be afraid to ask the guide more questions - he had alot more knowledge than was planned to be shared on the tour.

There are bus trips that stop here - and they can make it seem really busy. I'd suggest giving them time to be "ahead of you" as you do the video tour or trying the teas to make it feel more pleasant and less crowded.

I paired this visit with a trip to Irvin House Vineyards/Firefly Distillery - and it was a very pleasant day on Wadmalaw Island. If doing this as a family trip - I'd recommend bringing a picnic with you and toys to entertain the kids - don't expect to buy the food at the tourist spots.

Ripon, Wisconsin
“Worth a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Very unique. The only fee ($10) was for the trolly tour and this tour was decent. The factory tour was free and hosted completely by videos. Free tea tasting but the purchasing of the packaged tea was pricey--foreign grown tea is cheaper because this plantation is the 'only game in town' (the only commercial tea plantation in North America). The staff was very friendly and helpful. You will learn a lot about the tea business that very few others will know.

Bowling Green, Kentucky
55 attraction reviews
“A unique bussiness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was a neat activity, the tour of the farm and the factory was very enlightening. Free complimentry tea is offered of different varieties. I thought the cost was a little high, but thoroughly enjoyed the tour. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Seattle, Washington
16 attraction reviews
“Mediocre and Not What I Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We visited in the peak of summer in Charleston as what can be more refreshing in the south than tea? I guess maybe I set my expectations too high because the main thing I was disappointed in was the house of the Tea Plantation. I was expecting something more.

The tour, if you could call it that, was bad enough that my wife and I walked out in the middle. It was merely a set of videos and the production floor looked more a prop than anything where product is processed. Kinda hokey, I wanted to see something real. I guess that big ol green tractor is pretty cool though!

The most fun we had was fun we made ourselves by walking around the paths in the tea and found a gazebo.

Also note that it was a bit of a drive out to this attraction from where we were in Charleston so I would take that into consideration when deciding if you go.

Visited July 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
40 attraction reviews
“Nice little side trip away from the bustle of Charleston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Being tea drinkers my wife and I felt obligated to see the only tea plantation in the USA. This time of year is probably not the best as the factory is quiet till May. The video tour was intersting but brief. It was fun sampling the different teas. We decided not to do the trolley as we just missed one tour and the weather was cold and rainy.

Visited March 2014