“Our Favorite Oceanfront Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Surfside Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 South Ocean Boulevard, Surfside Beach, SC 29575   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Cincinnati
“Our Favorite Oceanfront Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was our fifth year at Surfside Beach Resort. We stayed a week this year, 9/3-10, and couldn't have been any more pleased. When we saw Ruby, it was like "old home week"! She, as well as other staff are very helpful and courteous. Our room with balcony was very clean and comfortable. Housekeeper, Nedra, was wonderful and very thorough every day she did our room. If health permits, we will be back for a sixth year next year!

Room Tip: Higher floor on Pier Side Rooms are our favorite.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We really appreciate both your staying with us again and your review of the hotel. All of our associates take pride in providing the helpful and courteous service and clean comfortable rooms you comment on. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Greenville, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The front desk staff was terrific. Lobby was modern and very clean. Room was a let-down. One table had visible crumbs and sticky trails of what looked like strawberry jelly. The base of another table lamp had clumps of eyelashes on it and about 1/16" of dirt all over. Hair on tub walls. Bathroom floor obviously only mopped directly in front of toilet & bathtub. Tissue box on side of sink base was covered in hundreds of fingerprints and the the first 20 tissues were actually torn cleanly in half vertically and stuffed into the box. Carpet was freshly vaccummed, but hopelessly sticky with a season's worth of dirt. Cigarette butts on balcony floor. Very low wattage in all working lights. Both bulbs burned out in fixture on wall between beds. Redeeming points given for nice clean sheets & towels.

I'd have gone right back down to the lobby & told the desk staff, but I knew they were 100% booked and as I had checked in on Sat after 6 PM I also knew housekeeping was likely gone for the day. I also knew all other hotels in the area were booked. Since it was only one night (Sept 14), I just dealt with it.

I'm sure this room was very clean at the beginning of the season and housekeeping was getting tired. But it would be nice if somebody paid attention to the horizontal surfaces at least a little throughout the year.

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as you can get and as close to east end/ocean as possible. North side is more...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. It is the comments of valued guests like you that allows us to continue to improve our service and product. We wish you had contacted our front desk. Although we were full for the night, it was well after midnight before the last few rooms checked in and we could have moved you to another room. Also, we did have housekeeping available until 10pm. If you would, please contact us directly at the hotel (843-238-4444 or info@surfsidebeachresort.com). Again, thanks for both staying with us and your comments.
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We've been to Surfside before, and booked this hotel on a Travelzoo special simply because the price was so good for an oceanfront property. I'm so glad we did.
We arrived early, and while our room wasn't ready--we enjoyed the pool and the gorgeous coastal weather. The staff seemed very nice, and the maids always went out of their way to greet us and our kids everyday.
The best thing about this hotel is its fabulous location. It's really right in a great part of Surfside, and you can't beat being truly oceanfront! There's also restaurants within walking distance on the street and on the pier!
Our room had a nice little balcony and we enjoyed sitting out there with our cocktails from Scotty's bar while soaking up our great oceanview.
The beds were not really great, but our room was fine for our family of four. And the fridge and microwave came in handy too!
We plan to make Surfside our annual family vacation and would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We appreciate both your staying with us at the hotel and your comments. Our associates enjoy greeting guests with smiles and providing customer pleasing service. Location, location, location, the hotel's location provides the best of all that Surfside Beach has to offer as well at Myrtle Beach attractions being only minutes away.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel was clean and comfortable. View from the pier side balcony was amazing, a little small but was big enough for two people to sit on each end. Ruby at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and will be returning.

Room Tip: Stayed on 8th floor. Great View on the pier side
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Phil V, Front Office Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks so much for staying with us. Providing a clean, comfortable, well maintained property is 1st priority for our associates. We look forward to your next visit to the hotel.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

HORRIBLE!!! Ee stayed here just to be close to the pier for the fireworks. When we made reservations we wanted out room to be pier side. Got to the hotel snd checked in and walked to our room. We was on the opposite side than we requested. When I went to grab the room phone to call thd front desk the phone was broke could not call out at all. So I used my personal phone no big deal. The front desk manager wouldnt not attempt to get us the room we requested nor did he offer to get us a new phone for the room. I later went down to complain to him face to face and had to tell him how to do his job. The next day we needed new towels. The maid service was awful. I always keep a room clean when I stay so all the maids have to do is put new sheets on and grab thr piled up towels and out new towels in the room. The maids made me bring them my towels in the hallway. They wouldnt enter our room. Our beds were not changed until after our second night. Granted im ok with staying at a hotel and not getting clean sheets every night but not at the beach where you carry a lot of sand back to your room. Our carpet was full of sand also. We finally complained and got the room cleaned to later find a pile of dog poop in the floor (some maid service). Remind you this hotel is a no pet policy. Wheb I complained to the night auditor he got an attitude with me and basically told me I was wrong and there was no way it was dog poop. Well the security guy he sent to get it agreed with me that it was just that. I did not get what I paid for. With it being holiday I paid average of $250 a night with hotels.com. After I complained to the assistant hotel manager she compensated me for my troubles and gave me a free 3 night stay. I doubt I will use it bc as far as im concerned this hotel isnt work staying in for free either. Btw the pictures on their website compared to the room I was in are a lie. The dressers were broke and didnt run on the tracks right. We had a hole that had been kicked in the wall. The furniture looked like it had came from a second hand store. For the price I paid that shouldnt have been the case. Save your money and get the condos located just next to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. It is the comments of valued guests like you that helps us to continue to improve our service and product. In the future, you may want to consider booking directly with a property to assure accurate information concerning requests is given and, in most cases, to receive the best rates.
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Nice, Clean, Quiet, Big room, Helpful service, Great location near several restaurants and a bar, Not an overly touristy feel to it like that beach a little up to the north, What more could you ask for? Would recommend to friends and family and hope to return someday soon

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad we were able to be a part of making your Surfside Beach visit more enjoyable. The staff takes pride in providing a clean, well maintained hotel and friendly, professional service for our guests. We look forward to hosting your next none "touristy" visit to Surfside.
Chesapeakes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I really enjoyed my five day stay while I was there , even though it rained most of the time, but it was so relaxing. I enjoyed it so much I invested into a timeshare. Thank you Plantation Resorts. Will I be back again, of course very soon. There are a lot of places to visit nearby. I like the location because its not so congested. Traveling back and forth is not too bad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on your Surfside Beach visit. It is certainly much less congested and more laid back than Myrtle Beach while being just minutes away from everything MB has to offer.

Been to Surfside Beach Resort? Share your experiences!