“Nice holiday at Surfside” 4 of 5 stars

Surfside Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 South Ocean Boulevard, Surfside Beach, SC 29575   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
London, Canada
“Nice holiday at Surfside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just returned from Surfside resort July16 .Stayed from July 11-15 and had a wonderful time .Check in was very quick and room was as expected.Hotel was clean and when the morning comes and the room staff come there seems to be 8 or 10 per floor and spend a lot of time .Smells clean when done.Every floor has at least one ice machine and pop cooler and snack machine.Front desk staff are very friendly and helpfull.we were there for my neices wedding so there was about 32 of us staying there including the kids ,and as far as i know every one was happy with hotel.It has a nice pool and hot tub althougth the pool is quite small but nice all the same.Excellent location and acess to the beach is threw the parking garge and is about 50 feet away.Cannot get any closer than that and beach is keep very clean.I would stay there again in a heatbeat.

Room Tip: all rooms overlook the ocean but i like the higher ones better
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We are so glad that your group had a good time at the hotel. We really appreciate your comments on the review concerning staff's friendliness and service. We look forward to hosting your next Surfside Beach visit, but you don't have to wait for a wedding to do it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Room was old and nasty. The sand on the bathroom floor was never clean even after room service cleaned room. Pool was small and gross looking. I wouldn't even sit beside it. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. We value your comments as they help us to continue to improve. We hish your would have brought any issues to our attention while you were here so we could have assisted you with them. Please feel free to contact us to discuss this further.
Fort Edward, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at The Surfside Beach Resort. I chose that hotel mainly because of the proximity to restaurants, bars, the ocean... I had read many of the reviews so I felt comfortable with my expectations.

The staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating. We didn't have any special needs or requests so I cannot report about how attentive they were.

Our room was clean and had everything we needed. Although there was a coffee maker, we chose to get the coffee in the lobby each morning. Our room had an ocean view with a balcony. Ours overlooked the pool and parking lot, as well as the ocean and the bar across the street. It was fun to sit and watch the world go by. The air conditioner worked great, keeping our room cool under the most hot and humid weather.

The elevators are extremely slow and often stinky. The stairwells, however, were very clean.

The pool area was small, but very clean. It was heavily used during our stay by many guests. I loved that they left the pool open until 11pm. Many hotel pools close earlier. I do think that on especially busy days they might have an employee monitor the pool area. There was a group of shady characters in the pool area with a full cooler of beer. (Full disclosure: I brought a beer or two down to the pool area, but kept it discrete). There were quite a few children/families also in the small pool area. These 4-5 men were sitting in the hot tub having a grand time. So much so that one man had to be assisted to a car because he was so drunk he couldn't walk. (I watched the whole thing from the balcony. It was sad and entertaining at the same time). Some of the other men who were with him got in a truck in Scotty's Beach Bar parking lot and left. I can't help but think that none of them were guests at the hotel. Although I'm sure it's difficult for a hotel to staff a pool every day, I would have felt more comfortable had I thought that someone was monitoring the shenanigans.

Scotty's Beach Bar is right next door. It had potential to be a great place, but I just didn't get a great feel for it. Trucks/motorcycles came and went throughout our stay. They would stop, run in and leave minutes later. It just felt odd. We went over for an early evening beverage on Saturday night and just didn't love the place. I wanted to love it, but it just has a shifty feel. Not everyone felt that way, though as the place was booming on Friday and Sunday afternoons.

We were pleasantly surprised by the diner next door to the restaurant. We had a delicious breakfast there. Also right next door is a place for great ice cream, and a little gift shop. (We didn't discover the gift shop until the last day).

So all in all it was a good trip. I realized that Myrtle Beach has the same type of creeps as my hometown... maybe a few more. That discovery made me a little sad. I do, however recommend the Surfside Beach Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We really appreciate your recent review of the hotel. We strive to maintain the level of cleanliness and service you commented about. We will follow up on your suggestions and hope to host your next visit to Surfside Beach.
Lithonia, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I usually don’t write reviews because I realize how detrimental they can be for a business. In a recovering economy all business’ deserve a chance to thrive and I don’t wish to play a part in any company’s demise. Nonetheless, it’s equally important for business to do their best with the products, accommodations, or services they provide. So, this time, I could not resist helping the next person to prevent making a decision which could possibly destroy their vacation. I love to travel, I love to use Trip advisor, and I trust the opinions of other travelers. This is a place where I’ve grown to expect honest reviews and I’ve never been misled until now. After this experience, I will forever be skeptical about reviews. I'm writing this review because I need people to understand what they are getting themselves into before they go. With that said, 4 stars to me means a more luxurious experience- even at the beach. For the first time, I cannot help wondering what other reviewers are comparing this hotel to, when they give a 4 star rating. This hotel is not 4 stars, not even close, and should not be advertised as such. Actually, it should be against the LAW for the owners to call it a resort. It is NOT a resort, and the claim to be anything other than a motel is extremely misleading. In addition, they have the audacity to charge a resort fee, which is comical. I would say this hotel is tolerable at most and that is stretching it. The staff was great! Very friendly! If I were rating them, it would be 5 stars. However, they don’t make up for the hotel. Just imagine, an very old, dusty, damp and moldy space, that someone tried to refurbish. But they didn’t do a good job, nothing more than slapping new stuff on top of the old. After a while the old stuff starts to uncover. This is Surfside Beach Resort at its best. It’s even more crazy that this hotel sits in the middle of a very nice beach house community, with a nice pier, several shops and restaurants! If I owned a house there, I would start a petition for the hotel to be torn down and rebuilt. I mean, it just seems that this hotel has to bring down property value. For the 3 days my family and I stayed here, I found myself rushing our vacation, just so we could get home, because I was so uncomfortable. Even the kids were disappointed. The pool is more like a large Jacuzzi because not only is it small in comparison to most pools, so there is no swimming room, it was always warm and dirty. I would not go back even if somebody gave me a room here, as a gift. Needless to say, I would not recommend it. Instead, rent one of the beach houses in the area.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. We appreciate your comments as they help us to continue to improve our product and service. We are especially glad that our associates provided outstanding service for you.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a large family who do vacations together we are nervous when picking out a house, area that will accommodate the needs of all. Five adults, 7 kids, 3yrs to 18, We couldn't have asked for a more suited house. We used Old Colony Realty, House was large, private pool, next to so many nice resturants and shops. We choose to rent a golf cart, was best thing we could do, with teenagers that get bored quickly we set up times for them all to take turns. There was enough shops for the kids, bars with patio setting for the adults, and a great porch for Grandma to just people watch. Neal and Pam's was the most friendly bunch of people, the food was great and the nightly entertainment was awesome. We will be back! And going up to Myrtle , Broadway on the Beach , putt putt was only minutes up the road. Fantastic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your recent comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your time in Surfside Beach.
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Wow, was worried when I found out that we were staying in Surfside Beach, but will be back. Very nice stay, the hotel was nice and the staff wonderful. Very clean, great view, staff was smiling and very helpful. Coming from a tourist town to visit another, sometimes you get nervous, but was truley enjoyable. Will be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We really appreciate your recent review of the hotel. We are so glad you have found out the secret of Surfside Beach, the quiet, uncrowded, family friendly alternative to the busier parts of our area. Located in the center of Surfside, we are close to all both here and in Myrtle Beach, just minutes away. We look forward to your next visit.
Sc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed recently at the Surfside Beach Resort after attempting to obtain reservations at hotels closer to Georgetown, SC during the weekend after the 4th of July. The area and beach are ideal for families, reunions, and couples for a few days vacation. There are plenty of local restaurants and t-shirt stores that are appealing to your curiosity. The beach and adjacent pier complete what a beachside resort should be. There is also plenty of parking and the front desk personnel were amiable and competent toward customer service.

The downside: small pool area; the rooms are average at best. The interior is dated and our room appeared dim, faded and small. The bathroom sink is actually outside the bathroom/shower area. The shelf above the bar to hang your clothes was dusty and obviously had not been wiped down for several days/weeks (?). The bed mattresses are fairly comfortable but if you are use to both high quality fiber and thread count sheets, you are out of luck here. It's just the basics.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. It is the comments of our valued gusts like you that help us to continue to improve our product and service. We will continue to review these with all of our departmental associates.

Been to Surfside Beach Resort? Share your experiences!