“I ONLY STAY AT SURFSIDE BEACH RESORT!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Rates from $49
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Pinewood,SC
“I ONLY STAY AT SURFSIDE BEACH RESORT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Once again, I had the time of my life at Surfside! I booked in advance from BILL at Surfside. When I got to the hotel, I finally met Bill and we just laughed! I love Betty from housekeeping also! My birthday was July 30 and I saw sharks on from the pier.....right before I went parasailing!!! Love SURFSIDE BEACH RESORT and I tell everyone where I stay at the beach! I have been coming ONLY here for about 8 yrs now... ALWAYS stay on the 7th floor with the balcony view to see the sunrise! The staff is always helpful and so very humorous!!! I LOVED MY VISIT THIS YEAR THE BEST OF ALL 8 YEARS! THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
SBRManager, Public Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the Surfside Beach Resort. We know you have many options to choose from along the Grand Strand. It is great to hear that you had such a good time and the staff thanks you for your words of praise for them. They work very hard to make every stay as pleasurable as possible. We look forward to your next visit and we hope you will continue to tell all of your friends about our great little place in the sun!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

After 5 years I finally made it back to Surfside. I was very disappointed in the so called renovations the ads say recently renovated but indeed renovations were going on during our stay, wet paint and workers everywhere... The hotel is very loud all the time, my "special gift" for booking a package was a dollar store sand toy kit... I must mention, the youngest child in my group was 18. The special gift should be age appropriate or don't advertise a gift. The elevators were horribly slow and really only one available for guests. The second elevator is utilized during the day by a back door for the staff. The newly remodeled rooms were smelly and the bedding was very uncomfortable. It took 4 phone calls and over an hour to FINALLY get an iron and an ironing board which had to be located. Then, as I was leaving and checking out the family next to me informed me that the desk clerks told them about a coupon that they rushed to get and used in order to get their room 100.00 a night cheaper than what I paid. Why wasn't I told about the coupon upon check in as well?????

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your recent stay at the Surfside Beach Resort. We reopened the resort in mid May and we have been working on punch list items throughout the summer, as is done with any construction project, to make sure everything is just right throughout the facility. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have several packages available to our guests as well as several coupon specials. The package you chose was a value added package and coupons can not be used to discount them when booking. We will certainly consider offering "age appropriate" gifts in the future as you are right, not everyone that books our "Beachcomber" package wants to play in the sand on the beach. We appreciate your comments and we will use them to improve our services to our guests.
Odessa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Needed a place to stay near Coastal Carolina University for my daughter's orientation. Decided to stay at the beach as Myrtle Beach is just 10 miles from the school. Being a lifelong resident of Florida, I've never had the need to go to the beaches of South Carolina.
After a bit of research, I found that Surfside Beach is south of Myrtle and certainly low key in comparison, which I prefer. Booked the hotel online and when I checked in I was greeted with wonderful southern hospitality. The room was clean and the furnishings were nice. The pool area is well maintained and the lounge chairs were very comfortable. Other than the elevators being a bit slow, our stay was enjoyable and we will stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We are happy you chose the Surfside Beach Resort for your recent stay at the beach. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you visit your daughter at Coastal Carolina. Our staff will be here to serve you with smiling faces and southern graces.
elkcorn,ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

loved the view from the hotel...it was clean and the staff was great...had no problem with anything....and the best part about was you could walk straight to the beach from the parking garage....Loved it....If i ever go back i would reserve the same hotel resor!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Surfside Beach Resort. Please tell all of your friends about us and plan another visit with us very soon.
Anderson, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

This was my first stay this year at the hotel after the renovations. My husband and I have stayed many times in the past. I was very dissappointed with my stay. First our reservations had been cancelled. We then had to take a room with queen beds. The restaurant is now closed. That was one of the amenities that I enjoyed was the room service. There is not even a contienental breakfast offered. For the price you could stay at the Holiday Inn and have a free breakfast. I expected the rooms to look much better than they did. We had 1 out of 4 lights that worked in room. I found the bedding to be very cheap and rough. I don't think that I will be staying at this "Resort" again. It is not worth the money that it cost.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay at the Surfside Beach Resort. I am also disappointed that you did not find us up to your standard. The property reopened in May after several months of construction and we have almost completed the project. Our restaurant is being renovated and is scheduled to open in the spring. We all miss the restaurant and are really looking forward to it's reopening. I have spoken to the housekeeping staff about the lights you found not working in your room and they are stepping up their efforts to make sure that all of the bulbs in the rooms are working properly before they leave the room. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our bedding is brand new and is top of the line by a major bedding manufacturer. I have had no complaints about the quality of sleep our guests have been receiving. I hope you received a good night's sleep as well. We are working every day to improve our facility and the service to our guests. Your comments help us to improve our service and we appreciate them very much. You are a valued guest and we look forward to having you back again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011 via mobile

Do not stay in room 818. It is very loud from mechanical equipment operating the slow elevators. It is next to the beach but you might as well pitch a tent and camp out on the beach.

• Stayed July 2011
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Surfside Beach Resort for your recent visit to the Grand Strand area. We are located right on the beach and we have just recently reopened the resort with newly renovated rooms and common areas. We are very proud of the new surroundings and we are working very hard to maintain the property to assure the new look will last for years to come. I am sorry the room had a noise problem because it was located in the center of the building near the elevator mechanical room. Had I known you were being disturbed I would have been glad to try to move you to a room that would not have had the noise issue. We are always here to serve our guests and to help make their stay enjoyable . I hope you will stay with us again very soon and please don't hesitate to ask us for assistance if you have any problems with your stay.
Winchester, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

First the good: This hotel is located as close to the beach as you can get, right along side a row of beach houses stretching out in either direction. Also, the are hiring good people. The staff was courteous and helpful all around.
There are nice places to eat near the hotel, nothing fancy, but nice seaside vacation-spot fare.
Now for the bad: Our room was more like a supply closet with two queen beds. There was a narrow walkway between the beds and tv console that made moving about the room problematic for more than one person at a time. At the end of the room, there was a large open space that was either meant for a sofa and coffee table or just the result of poor planning. Ventilation was poor and there was no vent fan at all in the bathroom, so the room would get steamed up after every shower.
The two small elevators were slow and overworked. My family once had to wait 10 - 15 minutes to catch an elevator with enough room to get on. (2 adults, 1 child and a baby in a stroller)
Housekeeping would come at varying times from day-to-day, so it was hard to guess when to be out of the room. 2 times we were given 1 less set of towels than people in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to leave comments about the Surfside Beach Resort. I have passed your kind words on to the staff and they are glad you were pleased with their service. As you probably know we have just recently reopened from our remodeling the entire resort. The type of room you stayed in is an extended room to designed to accommodate a sleeper sofa. Unfortunately our new sleepers were back ordered and all of them have not yet arrived. We will be putting them in the rooms as soon as they arrive.

Our rooms have been refitted with queen sized mattresses replacing the double beds we previously had in the rooms. This has cut down a little on the floor space between the bedding and the TV armoires. We felt the space sacrificed was worth it to provide the larger bedding. I am sorry this caused you any inconvenience.

Our bathrooms are vented by fans mounted on the roof of the building so it is hard to tell that they are operating. Steam will still sometimes build up in the bathrooms with the vents operating. I have notified engineering of a possible problem with the fan to assure it is working properly. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Our elevators are slow during the summer months as are the elevators in every resort along the beach at this time of year. Too many people and not enough elevators is a problem suffered by everyone. We have been waiting to improve the elevators until the renovations here in the resort were completed. As the construction is nearing an end we will be now begin concentrating on making the necessary improvements to the elevators.

Thank you for choosing the Surfside Beach Resort for you accommodation needs. We know you have many options. We look forward to your next stay with us and as always we will continue to provide the service you deserve while you are here.

Been to Surfside Beach Resort? Share your experiences!