“Great eating experience” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great eating experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Crabby Mike's is one of those resturants that surprizes you: the touristee exterior hides a well run resturant offering a very good buffet for a reasonable price. My wife is a crab leg fan and Crabby Mike's has some of the tastiest and best prepared crab clusters on the beach. I stick with the other items and was amazed at how tasty the shrimp and grits were. Of course, so was the BBQ (vinegar and pepper-very spicey and very good) and the fried fish. The interior is cute-again, a little touristee, but it gives you something to look at while your spousal unit is on her seventh helping of crab! The other fun thing to look at are the other diners but that is a story for another day.

Somehow, despite being busy, the buffet stayed full and fresh (the salad bar portion was very fresh with a good cesar salad dressing), the tables were quckly bussed, and the floors kept clean. Our server, Jon, was great-prompt, attentive, but not hovering! Passed my server test-kept my tea glass filled!!!

Some of you may ask how a $26 buffet can be reasonable-look at the variety of the buffet, the way it is kept freshened (no cold mashed potatoe's here), the quality of the food, the preparation of the food (tasty not "generic"), and the cleanliness of the buffet area. Also, coupons are gnerally available to knock a few bucks off.

Finally, an area few comment upon-the bathrooms were clean and did not have an instituional "bathroom odor." You didn't feel like you needed a bath when you left the bathroom!!

We hit Crabby Mikes whenever we are at Myrtle Beach and have no hesitancy in recommending it...just don't eat a big lunch then plan on coming here for supper!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
scbeachboy, Owner at Crabby Mike's Calabash Seafood, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hi Robert!
Thank you so much for your very thorough yet practical evaluation of my restaurant. I am certainly glad you enjoyed everything so much and I really appreciate you noticing all the many details that we concentrate on on a daily basis. The restaurant runs well because I have the best crew, from the managers down, on the Beach! They are very motivated and strive daily to ensure our guests have the best food with the best service in the cleanest atmosphere possible. I am glad we met your expectations. Thank you again for taking the time to post your thoughtful review. I hope to have you in for dinner again in the very near future.
Take care,
Mike

Surfside Beach, South Carolina
“Just an average buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Took my family plus four others and none of us were impressed. The food was plentiful with a huge variety of everything but it just lacked flavor. It seems to be a very popular place as it was packed to capacity but for $20+ per person it just didn't seem to be a very good value to me. If your seeking a buffet this might be the place for you. I personally will not go back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hi!
I am sorry you found our food to lack flavor. We have an Executive Chef that prepares everything from scratch on a daily basis. We do add seasoning to all of our food. I am sorry it wasn't to your liking. The large majority of our reviews are"Excellent". I hope you will read some of the other reviews and come give us another try. I really think you will enjoy it. Thanks for giving us a review.
Take care,
Mike
Lexington, Kentucky
“Had to go here twice in the week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Best place ever! The activities outside during our wait were super entertaining. There was a DJ and hula hooping. The food was wonderful. I loved everything in the buffet! Everything was fast. We stayed for a week and had to go here twice because it was so good. And I'm lovin that car with a crab on it in the parking lot! Great place!

scbeachboy, Owner at Crabby Mike's Calabash Seafood, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed your time here at Crabby Mike's! We strive to make the outside entertainment enjoyable. We know the wait can be long sometimes so we are pleased you were entertained!.. Thank you again and Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your next visit!
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“horrible service and food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

well that pretty much says it all. I work in the area and if people ask if it is a decent place to go, I steer them elsewhere. Horrible service, horrible food. Manager is a jerk if you report a problem.

Visited August 2012
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit here at Crabby Mike's. I would love to speak with you about your visit and see what we may do to resolve this matter. Thank you for taking the time to let me know and I look forward to talking with you.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Great Crab Legs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This all you can eat seafood buffet has the best crab legs.
I also like the fried seafood selections.
Grandkids loved the place.

Visited August 2012
Dear Fran,
Thank you so much for your kind words! So glad that you enjoyed your visit with us and please, bring your grandkids back again soon!