“Construction and strange housekeeping hours soured our experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express - Sumter

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Sumter
Portland, OR
“Construction and strange housekeeping hours soured our experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family stayed here for a few days recently for a family event. We checked in around 4pm, got to our room and hadn't even put our bags down when a worked knocked on the door and asked if he could take the bathroom mirror and picture. He said they were working on upgrades and they were. But were a bit taken aback that the work wasn't done before we checked in. He came by about an hour later to install a new vanity mirror.

The next day we spent time away from the hotel and returned about 5pm. Housekeeping was just opening our door to clean as we rounded the corner for our room from the elevator. We had to go away for 20 minutes so that she could clean.

The room we had was OK. Some of the "new construction" they had recently done was pretty shotty work. Lots of caulking left over on the bathroom vanity.

Overall it was a place to sleep and the breakfasts were pretty good. But I have stayed in much better kept Holiday Inn Expresses before.

Room Tip: The pool was very cold. Little ones really didn't want to swim and it was indoor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear frostypauly,

As always we are glad to read feedback from one of our valued guests. I do apologize that your experience was not what you expected specifically with the housekeeping schedule. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've stayed here a few times for business and never have anything bad to say about the place. The staff is always awesome and the coffee and breakfast spread in the mornings is always hot and tasty. Very convenient location for working on shaw (15 mins from hotel to anywhere on base) and for the Sumter restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Check in was efficient, friendly and professional. The hotel was very clean including the hallways and my room (Room 108)...was a huge King suite. This Holiday Inn was very spacious.

Location was close to restaurants and shopping. The Breakfast area was large and food options included hot items. I was planning on staying at the Candlewood Suites next door but they were sold out and I was very happy it was for the Holiday Inn totally surpassed my expectations. Will stay at HI next time I come down to visit family in Sumter.

Stayed April 19th - April 21st, 2013, traveled for family visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am a big fan of HI Express properties, but I thought this one was on the low end. Staff was nice, it was really just the rooms and property itself I didn't care for. Location was fine (as good as it gets in Sumter) and right next to an Outback Steakhouse, which is good if you need to eat. The pool area (I did not use it) was pretty scary looking and the "gym" was just a treadmill and elliptical. Fine I guess if that is your thing, but there was no bike and no room for weights, stretches, or anything else. It's been a bit now since I was there, but I believe I didn't care for the bed either and if I recall, the curtains wouldn't shut entirely so I wound up not being able to sleep once the sun rose. Overall, I just did not care for this property (and found it to be priced a bit high), but I am not sure if there is much better in the town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear efm16,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the pool and fitness center. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am a priority club member who was traveling through sumter on my way to myrtle beach. I stopped to take a break from the long drive and to use the hotels wifi. Wow, how surprised I was at how nice "Josh" the front desk attendant was. He gave me the wifi password, walked me to the dining/lounge area and turned the lights on,gave me the remote to the tv, heck he even brought me a free bottle of water and offered a snack of my choice! That kind of hospitality you cant beat. I will stay at this hotel the next time I come through sumter. Thanks Josh!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We left the hotel just before 1 pm on Saturday afternoon. The cleaning cart was outside the room next door. When we came back to the hotel to change clothes about 5 pm we found that our room had never been cleaned nor did we have fresh towels. I called the front desk; they sent up towels, but no extra soap. I asked if room was going to be cleaned and was told it was too late in the day.
I complained again at checkout the next day and the clerk said he could not make adjustment to bill because of that. I was very disappointed in the attitude of front desk staff.

• Stayed February 2013
NEWPORT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

As many hotels seem to downsize the pool, let alone provide an indoor pool, it was very surprising to find accommodations with a pool worth of doing a few laps. As large as many outdoor varieties this pool was a refreshing amenity. The suite was well designed, very clean and fresh (no lingering odors). The viewing selection was heavy on sports and it seems Turner Classic Movies is being banned from most chain lineups - that's a shame as not everyone only cares for the whiz bang high tech violence or sports only options. A well equipped business center is provided and am ample varied breakfast available in a fairly large dining room. Many restaurants close and well situated in Sumter

Room Tip: Check in with enough time to enjoy the pool; a great way to relax.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Sumter? Share your experiences!