“Palmetto Oyster House rocks!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 113 Restaurants in Sumter
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: A new casual restaurant that just opened 15 August 2011. We thought the crab balls and crab cake truly outstanding! 803-607-9498
Sumter, South Carolina
“Palmetto Oyster House rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I went to the Po' House for our anniversary. The place was very crowded and we had to wait by the bar. One of the bartenders was a guy named Drew and he was incredibly attentive to us, even recommending appetizers and serving them. When we got to our table, the atmosphere was enjoyable without being overdone and the food was spectacular! The ONLY drawback to the restaurant was the double entendre on the shirts of some of the waitresses and staff.

• Visited January 2012

Sumter, South Carolina
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We went just last night for the first time. Tried on several other occasions but the wait was beyond our patience level. 30 minute wait last night. I am pleased to say the wait was much less than that. The staff was very friendly. The menu was limited. We thought we were given the lunch menu. The decor is so fun it keeps you occupied when the table conversations lull. Most foods are fried and for a Oyster bar you would think there would be several Oyster dishes. Not so. I believe Sumter SC folks may love the level of seafood for this community but by no meals was a great meal for us 1st timers. We were hoping for better but we have lived close to the Virginia Coast, Florida Gulf area and Alaska so we may have been spoiled to what great seafood is. I do want to note that the waitress took our Credit Card to pay the bill and was gone a solid 15 minutes leaving us a little concerned. So much so we thought maybe we should cancel our card and request new rather than wait any longer. When you are holding a CCard keep in mind you are trusting they only swipe for the services rendered I am sure it was nothing but not great to leave us wondering what was up. We have heard great reviews from others so we gave it a try and maybe you will enjoy the FRIED food but if you are looking for Oysters or steamed dishes you may want to pass. Call ahead for wait list we called and said reservation and was turned away it is the same to me but not to the restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I had heard of PO House from my mother who lives and Sumter and so when my husband and I headed into town for her birthday, we decided on dinner there. Must say it was fantastic. No the waiter did not go above and beyond but he kept our drinks full and the dinner was excellent. the Alligator Cheesecake has huge bites of alligator sausage. The crab dip was fantastic and the spicy crab balls are scrumptious. For my dinner I had the fried shrimp with crab chips and the shrimp was perfect. Large, perfectly battered with a delicious fresh flavor. I would DEFINITELY recommend this place to my friends in town.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Summerfield, Florida
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We went to this restaurant because the restaurant we had come to visit was closed. We chose it because of the reviews on this site. The decor was correct; looking a lot like some wharf side oyster house on the coast. They had two daily specials; flounder and shrimp. I had the fried fish with boiled red potatoes and green beans and my wife had the fried shrimp with boiled red potatoes and corn on the cob. My fish was so grease soaked that I could only pick at it for pieces to eat and the green beans were so over cooked that they were inedible. My wife’s shrimp had obviously come frozen out a bag into the deep fryer and were unattractive and tasteless. Her corn was inedible. The red potatoes were quite good. I would never eat here again; it was the worst meal I have had in years.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Scott E, Owner at Palmetto Oyster House, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
I am truly sorry to hear that your experience was as bad as you say it was. Palmetto Oyster House prides itself on great service and great food in a fun atmosphere. We are truly greatful that we are one of the busiest restaurants in Sumter and after a year in business if your experience were the norm that just wouldn't be the case. I personally address any and every question or complaint that happens in the Po House and I wish I had had a chance to speak with you. I would have made every effort to correct the issues you had. I hope that you will come again and ask for me...Thank you Scott Estep
Sumter
“A Great Place to Go !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We truely enjoyed our first visit to the Palmetto Oyster House !! Great food, Wonderful Service, and a vast drink selection. The atmosphere was terriffic !! We wil absolutely visit this establishment again !!

• Visited March 2012