“Great Southern Barbeque” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Winter Park, Colorado
“Great Southern Barbeque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I am from North Carolina, where Southern barbeque is an art form. This place was outstanding. You can tell that the meat has been smoked for a very long time, and the seasonings are perfect. Southern barbeque is vinegar-based, and these folks did it just right. My plate came with fries, hush puppies and slaw. I loved the slaw, too; it was the perfect complement to the port. The hush puppies were fresh out of the fryer and were simple, unadorned hush puppies--just like they should be. The waitresses were young, happy and accommodating. For $8 I got twice the amount of food I could eat. It's some of the best barbeque I have ever had.

Visited October 2012

Apex, North Carolina
“Amazing Q.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

When Nick and I took exit 78 to Bailey’s, we stopped in to get some gas and I noticed Southern BBQ located behind the gas station. I was starving and asked Nick if that was ok with him and he said sure. So we filled up and then went inside to fill up our tummies.

This is a BBQ joint, so that is pretty much what is on the menu..smoked meat. Nick and I decide to get 2 plates and split them. So he gets a full rib plate and I get a pulled pork plate. I get beans and fries with mine while Nick gets potato salad and onion rings. Nick gets bread his order and I get hushpuppies. I also get a side of BBQ slaw (or red slaw as we call it here since it is made with BBQ instead of mayo). Then we just split everything in half except I let Nick have all the potato salad himself.

While NC is known for its BBQ, SC isn’t. Oftentimes SC BBQ is a mustard base. While I like mustard, it just doesn’t belong in BBQ. But I luck up and despite the fact the restaurant is in SC, they serve Eastern style NC BBQ. Eastern style (or Lexington style BBQ) is a vinegar based BBQ that has a spicy kick to it. And BBQ here is slowed cooked for hours.

It doesn’t take long before our BBQ arrives. We split everything up and divide it. The Q here is sooooo good. The ribs are fall over the bone tender. The pork is to die for. Everything is amazing. The hushpuppies and onion rings aren’t greasy tasting. This is about as perfect as you can get.

They have both a kids and seniors menu. Vegas/vegetarians are pretty much left out unless you want a side salad. They do have a nice dessert menu, but we were too stuffed to think about it. They also have large carry out orders for family dinner night or your next big event.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, nice restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed over at the Holiday Inn Express across the street, so tried this restaurant. It was good BBQ and the hush puppies were awesome. I had the BBQ plate with BBQ cole slaw and potato salad. My husband had the ribs, BBQ cole slaw and beans. The rib sauce was good as we prefer the tomato based BBQ sauce to the vinegar based ones. There was nothing wrong with our food, but it just wasn't spectacular. The waitresses were friendly and efficient. The prices are very reasonable..lots of food for the price. I would eat here again, but wouldn't make a special trip to do so.

“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Great hole in the wall BBQ place. Love their smoked turkey. Good sweet tea and friendly staff. Quick and easy meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Yummy BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Fantastic ribs and pulled pork. They have two styles of bbq sauce...one a vinegar base and the other a tomato base. The thicker, tomato base one is fabulous! The potato salad, baked beans, and hushpuppies are fantastic! Not to crazy about the other sides and they really don't have much more for choices. Would love to see fried okra and mac-n-cheese offered! Maybe one day. :)