“Up or Down?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Santee
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
“Up or Down?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The stay began with some snafus, but with the help of Sandy at the front desk, disarray transformed into tranquility and a very good stay.

Issue number one was room entry. The green light illuminated but the door felt bolted. Turns out, with my first room, instead of doing what anyone would normally do - push the door handle down to open, this required pushing the hanlde up. This glitch is evidently known to exist for some rooms because I was quickly advised of the remedy. I'd strongly suggest that management remedy this inconvenience. But if they don't, some of you will save a trip back down to the lobby by simply pushing up, if down doesn't work.

Once I was able to enter, the conversation from the next room was very loud. As I was just getting over a cold, my tolerance for problems was low. I became the resident complainer to desk clerk Sandy who earned her stripes and kept her cool. I hope management appreciates her fine work.

She honored my request and found a replacement room. This time there were no issues with sound, which leads me to conclude that the noise problems were with isolated ultra noisy guests next to my initial room, rather than with the hotel itself.

Room number two was great, although after dinner at Clark's (walking distance, right across the street and very good) I couldn't re-enter the room. This time it wasn't a question of up or down. Rather, placing the room key in my wallet next to credit cards discombobulated the magnetic stripe. Once it was reprogrammed, a sound sleep on a very comfortable bed soon followed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

If you are looking for a pet friendly place when traveling from NJ or anywhere in the NE to Florida, this is a great location. This is our second stay at this hotel in the past four years and it is certainly a step above the Comfort Inn we stayed at in St. George, SC the other two years. The rooms are clean, but our room this time has a few minor issues....two drawer pulls are awol and the cross bar for the desk is hanging off...very strange...time on microwave also was not reset to EST and the flat screen tv picture quality is awful. Restaurant is nice and the food was great! Limited menu but cooked to order and my husband loved the open roast beef sandwich special. Staff in restaurant great...front desk needs improvement. Free wifi but signal strength running from fair to good. Kind of strange that the pet friendly rooms are located on fourth floor, but we were okay with this. It's pricier than area hotels-charging for extra people in a room which is outrageous-but we do recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Naples
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel heading to New York from Florida. We needed a pet friendly room traveling with a cat. When we exited the elevator on the pet friendly area, the a/c was not on. The temp that day happened to be 95'. Well the heat increased the smell of smoke, pet order and rug refreshener. The room was very stuffy, smell was horrible. Sleepless night. Complained to a not interested desk clerk. Called Holiday Inn, they assured us we would get credit to the night stay, still no credit. Terrible stay, would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Santee hotels

Lewes, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at the Santee Holiday Inn enroute to Disney World, liked it so much we stayed again on the trip back. The hotel is 6 hours from Disney World, making it a convenient respite. It's easy off and on.

The hotel looks new and was told that's the case. Everything is modern and up-to-date. Rooms are large with comfy beds. The restaurant is very nice and has good value deals for both dinner and breakfast. Most nights dinner comes with a salad bar and one free drink. I had fish and chips with salad bar and draft beer for $9.99, plus tax and tip. If you prefer eating out, there are a few nice restaurants nearby.

The hotel staff was particularly helpful and I really appreciated their service. I left a library book in the lobby and they figured out who left it by matching the library to me. Nice extra effort.

Room Tip: Stop by the NC welcome center and get a coupon.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011 via mobile

We arrived and saw that this holiday inn was in fact the nicest hotel off the ones off 95 in Santee. The hotel lobby and pool was clean. Staff was friendly. Our room was supposedly non smoking but did have a scent of a smoking room. There were some crumbs on the mattress underneath all the sheets. No bed bugs though! Free wifi was a plus! All in all this was a great hotel. No problems with the staff and a great pit stop during summer travels.

• Stayed July 2011
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

As a woman traveling alone with my dog, I wanted to stay in a hotel with interior corridors and one that of course accepted pets. My brother recommended stopping in Santee on my drive down to Florida from Pennsylvania. I made a reservation at the Holiday Inn as it fit both of these requirements. My room on the top floor was quiet, exceptionally clean, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The hotel is set away from I-95 and set back off the road, which added to a peaceful night sleep. The hotel has a restaurant, so no complimentary breakfast is included. Safety, cleaniness and a peaceful night sleep were my priorities; I was very satisfied with this hotel. It's a few extra bucks, but worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Powhatan, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We didn't have a reservation, but were able to find a room. Everything was clean. They have a cleaning crew that is doing things right. This is the standard that should be expected from all motels. This one of the best Holiday Inns we have stayed at. My wife examines the room, including the mattress, before we check in. Even the door frames had been dusted.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Santee? Share your experiences!