“Go and have a great meal” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Saint George
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood, Bar, Sandwiches
“Go and have a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were on our way home from a stay in Florida and stayed overnight in St George.

Looking online we found a few selections for dinner and decided on Shugs.

This is a small family run business and we enjoyed our Prime Rib dinner.

My wife said it was the best prime rib she ever had....except for mine...we were a long way from
home and I was driving :-)

Give this place a try if you are in this area great food.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Excellent place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Enjoyed another excellent meal here at Shrugs. I highly recommend the fried shrimp dinner. Cooked to perfection. Try Shrugs and enjoy some excellent cooking.

“Great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had the fried shrimp platter with red rice and corn on the cob. The large portion of jumbo shrimp was cooked to perfection! Great meal!!! Also the jazz band playing Saturday nights made for a most enjoyable evening. I highly recommend Shug's for a most satisfying dining experience.

Saint George, South Carolina
“Outstanding fish filets!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Shugs is a wonderful hidden gem tucked away in Saint George, SC, about a mile off off of I-95. The fried fish is my favorite. It is melt-in-your-mouth delicious, cooked just right with a light breading and no hint of the greasiness that can accompany fried foods. The chef and owner is a graduate of Johnson & Wales College of Culinary Arts, and boy does it show!

The cornbread and hush puppies are unusual in that they are a little sweet and moist like cake. I almost never like the cornbread or hush puppies I get in restaurants, but I go out of my way for the Shugs take on these! I consider them to be my dessert.

The Shrimp 'n Grits dish is amazing here. The grits have a light honey-glaze on them that is unique to Shugs and is sinfully delicious, almost like candy. I know it sounds a little strange to have a flavor like that with shrimp and grits, but it really works together well.

Shugs is well worth driving just a little ways from the I-95 exit to get to (a mile at most), rather than stopping right at the interstate for boring fast food. Right now they are only open for supper Thurs. - Sat., but they are open for lunch every day.

They are not exclusively a seafood place, but seafood is the only meat that I eat most of the time, so I can't speak to dishes with other meats in them. The shrimp & grits dish has some sausage in it, but I just leave most of it on the plate. I can't quite bring myself to leave all of it though because it's good too.

They bring you a LOT of food too. Service is very friendly and quick. Prices are very reasonable. Shugs is the very embodiment of the best of southern hospitality. If you have the chance to eat here, don't pass it up!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harleyville, South Carolina
“Great food - Great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I live near St. George and have eaten at Shug's several times - Had my first Shimp & Grits and it was wonderful! The service is top-notch - and Shug always comes by to make sure everything is perfect.

• Visited September 2013