“Best in the Area!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 17 Restaurants in Port Royal
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Description: Smokin' Planks in a small, family-run restaurant featuring classic barbeque fare, with a smokey twist. All of our meat is smoked instead of baked or grilled, to make sure it is both flavorful and juicy. We also have your favorite classic BBQ sides are served up with our own house recipes. Pet-friendly outdoor seating is available, and families are always welcome!Catering, take-out, and parties available!
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
“Best in the Area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had recently moved to Port Royal when I discovered this hidden gem! I live in the old town neighborhood, and walk my dogs everywhere! I walked by Smokin Planks once and decided to stop by, with one condition... I wanted to be able to dine with my pups. I spoke with the owner and to my surprise I learned that it was VERY dog friendly . I was expecting to sit in the front porch with my dogs tied to a post , but when I arrived I was told that there was a whole fenced in area for the pups to run around in. I ordered my food , and as I waited Brooke brought over a water bowl and dog treats for my doggies. This is a HUGE plus for anyone like me that is attached at the hip to their dogs. I ordered pork nachos and they were amazing! Also great prize. Since my first visit I've ate there at least once a week, and I have tried many things on the menu. My favorite would have to be the wedge fries and the pulled pork sandwhich!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Bones in food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

we found bones in the pulled chicken, it was a little dry too. Nothing to great about the place. The pulled pork had grissel in it, it's like they just threw everything together without really caring for the food. I was disappointed say the least.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
smokinplanks, Owner at Smokin' Planks, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your bad experience again. When it was first brought to our attention 6 months ago on facebook and in person, we immediately remedied the problems that you uncovered. Since we do care, we have since removed pulled chicken from the menu due to the small bones that can sometimes be in the meat. Also, at that time we were using traditional Southern whole hog BBQ for our pulled pork. Now, we use Boston butts exclusively to ensure that the meat is of uniform quality. We hope that you will stop in again and see the quality that makes us special.
Beaufort, SC
“Got to have the BRISKET!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went to a wedding in Houston back in November, had incredible brisket at one place in Houston and forgettable brisket at the other... BUT, not only was the brisket tonight INCREDIBLE, but I loved ALL FOUR of the SAUCES!! And I had barbeque elsewhere in Beaufort for lunch today...that was forgettable. Go to Smokin' Planks, you will love it!! I'm going back tomorrow for the ribs!!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not great, overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

A $22 meat platter should not be over cooked. Several pieces of just bones. It felt like we paid to eat leftovers- reheated food.

Spent $100 for a family of 6. Roasted turkey was pretty good. Pork bbq was not impressive. Found hair in two dishes. Tea was good.

Very nice people.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Not up to snuff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I just left this place and the ribs were bland burned and a bit flavorless the macaroni and cheese lack flavor as if it had been reheated. The chicken and barbecue both had no flavor the chicken needed to be dressed in a sauce in order to be eaten. I was very disappointed in the quality of the food and we found hair in two separate dishes.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere