“Staff is very rude and incompetent” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Port Royal Near Parris Island
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1660 Ribaut Road, Port Royal, SC 29935   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Port Royal
Avon Lake, Ohio
“Staff is very rude and incompetent”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

This hotel is pet friendly and very close to Parris Island. The set up is ideal for pets. But, the staff is extemely rude. We reserved two rooms and were unable to get them anywhere near each other. We arrieved at 5 AM and paid $50 for early check in. But, we had to get back up to go to desk at 11 AM to check out of and back into the same room. We had reservations for several days, but each day, my key no longer fit the door and we would have to go to the office and get it reprogrammed. Staff ws not helpful and extremely rude especially the manager.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

In the spirit of fairness, I will first begin with the one good thing about this hotel: it is located very close to the Parris Island base, just over the bridge. However, if you're willing to drive just a few minutes further there are much nicer, newer hotels with more dining options in Beaufort.

I chose this hotel solely because it allowed pets and was close to the Marine base since I was visiting my brothers stationed there. I booked directly through the Days Inn main site, which clearly states pets are allowed and doesn't state anything about special accomodations or any additional fees. When I was booking my room, there was no space for me to fill in that I had a pet. Since the site stated pets are fine and we saw an area for walking dogs/a poop scoop station when we arrived, I thought we were fine.

We were given a room a few doors down from the office and near the pool. The pool was in use by kids most of the time, so it was a little noisy but we were only using our room as a place to sleep. The hotel is very old and outdated: your typical cheap hotel room set up with a bed, tv, desk, and very small bathroom and separate vanity area. When we first arrived, I noticed a long black hair on the bathroom floor. There was also some black spots on the bathroom ceiling which looked like mold - not surprising since there was no fan. The ceiling and walls in the main room had several areas where it was peeling off. I was willing to overlook this because it was a cheap room, although still overpriced for what we got.

Several hours after we checked out, I received a call from the manager asking if we had a dog. I said yes, and he said we were supposed to pay an additional $15/day pet fee and that since they had put us in one of their "newer" rooms and they now had to have it cleaned, they were charging me $80. Mind you, the nightly rate for this rundown hotel was only $55. I was very upset because when I booked at the main Days Inn website, it clearly said pets were allowed and said NOTHING about an extra fee.

Nonetheless, I said I was willing to pay the pet fee even though I didn't know about it when I booked, but I questioned why they had to charge a cleaning fee. My dog did not do any damage whatsoever, and I surely hoped that simple vacuuming was part of their standard cleaning between customers. The manager said that they needed to steam clean the carpets and that normally they would charge me $200 for this. My husband's company actually does carpet cleanings, and for this small of a square footage area, that was outrageous. Plus steam cleaning would only be warranted if there was staining which there was not.

Here is where I made my mistake: apparently when I checked in, in fine print at the bottom of the receipt I signed, it mentions the pet fee. I feel this is underhanded and should be mentioned UPFRONT when you BOOK the room. The manager stated there is also a sign. After I had been on the road traveling for 5 hours, I did not look around the lobby extensively since I had booked in advance and just needed my room keys.

If my dog had caused any type of damage, I would have gladly paid fees for it but she just slept in this dumpy hotel room. Given that there was mold, peeling walls, and other people's hair in the hotel room when we arrived, I'm not sure the mere presence of a dog made the room that much dirtier requiring $80 in fines.

If I make a mistake, I am willing to admit it. But what bothered me the most was how rude this manager was when communicating with me. He kept interrupting me and talking over me while I politely questioned the fees. He went on to insinuate that we had been hiding the dog. This is ridiculous as we were right next to the office and walked her several times a day. The lady who checked me in even stood outside the lobby one day and watched me take the dog out. If it was that big of a deal, they should have addressed it then instead of after I was several hours away and THEN telling me about fees.

The manager apparently does not value customer satisfaction or care about repeat business and word of mouth. I guess they really need that extra $80. I will NEVER stay at this or any other Days Inn again. Marine families: Parris Island/Port Royal/Beaufort are all within minutes of each other and there is no traffic whatsoever, so don't let location alone influence you on this hotel. If you have any issues, management clearly doesn't care. I just can't believe that the manager called me to fine me after the fact, interrupted me and wouldn't let me complete my sentences, and implied that I was being deceitful. I don't mind paying what is legitimately owed, but please treat customers with some respect and courtesy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Port Royal hotels

Evans, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Rooms smelled badly, hotel staff was unfriendly and the decor was very outdated. Lobby restroom was dirty and smelled badly. Breakfast buffet was very meager. Left an expensive shirt realized it was missing called the same day we checked out and desk clerk said they would not know if the shirt was there until housekeeping came in the next day. Iwould not recommend this property and will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010 via mobile

Nothing fancy, but great bang for your buck for Marine ceremonies. Very close to P I.! Friendly's restaurant located across the parking lot. Very courteous staff. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010
GMDAYSINNBEAUFORT, General Manager at Days Inn Port Royal Near Parris Island, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Thank you for responding and your compliments. We were happy to have served you and your family. We hope to see you again.

Nayan Patel
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I had also read some lousy reviews about this hotel but I was surprised because I found it to be clean, pretty friendly, and offered a great breakfast - although the squeaky chairs in the breakfast room can be a bit nerve wracking. Rooms are quiet (although that air conditioning/heating unit can be pretty loud!), clean, and the staff seemed to be very friendly. I got there very late because I got lost. They helped me find them when I finally had to call for directions. They are also located right next to Friendly's Restaurant which has great food and lets the Marine grads eat free!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
GMDAYSINNBEAUFORT, Manager at Days Inn Port Royal Near Parris Island, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am always glad to know that each and every customer will return in the future; as I hope that you and your family will.

Operations Manager
Warren
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Trying to get a motel room in the area during a Corps graduation can be a challenge - not my first choice and expecting the worst.

Surprisingly, did not get the worst although I was looking for it, right down to a bed inspection and a rather critical eye.

But the place was PACKED, which meant the breakfast bar was cleaned out - totally - by 8AM with no attempt to refill, surprisingly. Lots of hungry Marine famillies! One incredibly unusual and annoying feature is the combination of metal-legged chairs and slate floor putting out an ungodly screech anytime anybody moves a chair in the dining area. Wow - right to the pain threshold!

The other annoyance was a non-functional printer at the "business" center desk, no ink, damaged device, nobody to help either. From the looks of the printer queue it hadn't worked in several days and mostly frustrating people trying to print boarding passes. Surprised that the desk didn't offer to help at all as most will.

Room a little worn but functional, nothing objectionable found, and trust me, I was half expecting it.... they did OK.

So it wasn't bad, really, just be aware if you're expecting more.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
I am sorry to see that was anything other than perfect. If you are ever in the area again please stop by and give us another chance for a perfect stay.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Fit the bill perfectly. I stayed on the second floor in a non-smoking room. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable. Good free breakfast in the lobby. A good moderately priced motel, perfect for my son's USMC graduation. Location was great, Parris Island literally down the road. We ate at Friendly's restaurant, a short walk across the parking lot. Mike and the rest of the front staff were friendly and courteous. I think the people who wrote bad reviews must have a chip on their shoulder, because I had a very good experience. Give your AAA or AARP membership for a discount.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful words of compliments. We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Sheila Castillo

Been to Days Inn Port Royal Near Parris Island? Share your experiences!