“Mixed bag...” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Columbia, SC
“Mixed bag...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have eaten here several times - some menu items are great - in particular, the fried shrimp tastes fresh and local. Some other menu items are OK...the lobster tail special was a TINY piece of meat!

One 'issue' I have is that the fried shrimp comes with rice and the vegatable of the day...if you want fries, they were going to charge $2 more! In the end they didn't but that just didn't make sense to me! Some sides cost more...I get that but fries!!!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Try the Shrimp and Lobster dinner specials!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant after an entire morning and afternoon on the beach at Pawleys Island. The kids were hungry and they were pleased with their shrimp meals which were fresh, plump and tasty. Given it was late afternoon, we requested if they would be able to serve us the shrimp special (available Monday evenings) early, and they were happy to accommodate us. Their crab cake sandwich was scrumptious and came with really tasty coleslaw that was refreshing after being out in the sun. We returned another evening for their lobster special (available Tuesday/Wednesday), and we were not disappointed!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great for lunch, dinner...not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Grew up eating shrimp salad and crab cakes from here (the best I have ever had) and some of their great sandwiches for lunch. However, there dinner service leaves much to be desired. Last year I took my girlfriend's family there for dinner and was embarrassed by the quality of the food. Last night, my girlfriend and I tried it again. They had a prime rib special for $9.95; I should have known better. The prime rib was actually a lackluster ribeye steak that was grossly undercooked (rare instead of medium). First time in my life I ever sent anything back. Steamed vegetables tasted like they were frozen. The rice was inedible. Stick to lunch, or find a chef that at least knows the difference between prime rib and a ribeye.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Georgetown, South Carolina
“Great lunch on the run.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I are on vacation, and were on our way back to Myrtle Beach, South Cariolina when we started looking for a place to eat a light lunch at Pawleys Island.

We saw the Island Cafe and decided to stop for a sandwich. The restaurant has a lot of character with hand painted beach murals on the walls and a lot of island flavor. Looking around is a cheerful experience.

Our waitress, Andrea, was very friendly and fast at coming over to take our order. We decided to order a club sandwich named the "Clubby Checker" to split. When the sandwich (Roast beef, turkey, Swiss, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, bacon and three pieces of bread........with chips) was delivered to our table it was HUGE!! The roast and turkey were thinly sliced and tender, and stacked high with the cheese and veggies. The sandwich was well made and wonderful. It reminded me of the sandwiches I used to get at lunch counters as a child....before fast food became popular. My only regret was that even though I only had half the sandwich, it was more than I could eat.

All in all, a really good sandwich, and an enjoyable lunch! Well Done! If we pass this way again, we will be back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sanford, North Carolina
“Return often for Ceasar/fried oyster salad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We look forward to returning to this very casual spot while visiting friends nearby. Our favorite is the fried oysters served over a Ceasar salad (dressing on the side, please). A variety of seating choices are available including on the patio or in the full-service bar area. This was probably our tenth visit. The food and service are consistently above average as are their prices; a common trait of Pawleys Island restaurants. There were five in our party. Two opted for the Ceasar/oyster salad, two an oyster po' boy sandwich with crispy ff potatoes, and one had a Reuben. Everyone was pleased. Beverage glasses were refilled without asking. I can personally recommend the sweet tea. This place is usually busy but there is plenty of seating and ample parking in the rear.

• Visited February 2013