“Down to earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pawleys Island
Sea View Inn
Save Saved
You added Sea View Inn to your Saves list
414 Myrtle Ave., Pawleys Island, SC 29585   |
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Down to earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a great place to kick back, make some great friends and completely relax. Out of this world food, right on the ocean. Creature comforts rest in your own thoughts and reflections. Great for walking the beach, shelling, sitting inside the inn, on the large porch filled with comfortable rocking chairs, reading a book, chatting with other guests or taking in some of the fantastic nearby shopping. There is local color as well as upscale in the shops, and Charleston is a mere 90-minute drive away.

Room Tip: There is one cottage with air conditioning but it is behind the main inn so no view of the ocean but...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
BRISTOW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I took a week to drive up the coast from Georgia's Golden Isles to Wilmington, North, Carolina. We were looking for that ideal place, a beach-side retreat away from traffic and commercialism. We drove out to Pawleys Island at suppertime and chanced upon the Sea View Inn, only finding it as we drove along the narrow road behind beach houses because of the several cars parked outside. When we walked up the steps, we felt like we were stepping back to an earlier era. We found simplicity and beauty in a classic southern beach inn. Meals were for boarding and pre-scheduled guests; nevertheless, the staff took us under their wing and allowed us to join in the evening meal, a generous low-country boil of shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes. The sea breeze swept up the beach to the porch with its rocking chairs and into the common room and dining room...there is nothing formal about this inn, it's bare feet and sand and lovely weathered pastel wood. The Sea View Inn is on our A list for a future stay. The inn is perfect; we found nothing else like it on our trip. Room rates include three meals a day and are discounted for week stays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I still enjoy my visits very much, but it is a little sad that very young children are now allowed to visit in the off season. Also the owners have forgotten how important it is to the guests to have them make an effort on a regular basis to meet and greet and interact with the guests. You can now stay an entire week and never see them. Everything else still makes this a great vacation destination and I would recommend it for those who really want to get away. Just check the weather reports first. There is no heat (other than space heaters) or AC, which adds to the charm for some.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Back again and loved it just as much. Food is great; people are interesting; scenery is lovely; room is quaint and traditional; the staff makes you feel like it is your own place. The only complaint is that we always gain weight when we go there!

Room Tip: We love the beach front - get a great breeze off the water.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

First of all, you have to know what you're getting yourself into. If you need to plug into something - TV, laptop, Wii - then this is not the place for you. If you want those little luxuries, like 500 thread count sheets, fancy soaps and shampoos, marble counters, and well... a private shower, then this is not the place for you. However, if you like to see, hear, feel and smell the ocean, enjoy laying in a hammock on a wide porch reading a book or even snoozing, and eating some good southern cooking, then this is definitely the place for you. I will admit that not getting wi-fi and a private shower almost turned me off from trying this place, but trusting my fellow reviewers on Trip Advisor always helps me find hidden gems and this is a hidden gem. We decided to visit Charleston for a long weekend and spend one night here, and we were so glad we did. We got an ocean side room with the windows wide open letting in the ocean breezes, and instantly felt relaxed. Know that the rooms do not have locks - you don't need them, and like I said, there is no TV, no wi-fi, and only a private half-bath in each room. There are shared indoor showers and a couple of private outdoor showers that you can use. There is a wide porch with a row of rocking chairs and a hammock facing the ocean. You can rock, read, talk to your fellow travelers and hear great stories about how their families have been coming, during the same week for many, many years. Now, the food, you get 3 meals and most everything was good. There is nothing low-carb or low-fat about it however. Breakfast was pretty basic stuff, but we had an amazing seafood quiche and this orange cake with cream cheese frosting for lunch that my boyfriend and I agreed was the best dessert we had on our trip and we spent the next 2 days and nights in Charleston going to SNOB, Husk and other fantastic restaurants. Homemade biscuits, cornbread, grits and collards. Yum! Highly recommended if you want to relax, unplug and let someone else do the cooking for you.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

It has been several years since I have been to the Seaview Inn. And I miss it! When I first met my husband, he took me to Pawley's Island for the first time (1985). You talk about love -LUV! With him and the island. We married, moved to Atlanta and I was a busy Realtor with two small children and an invalid mom. By the time we revisited Pawley's (almost annually) I would be half dead and wound up like a rubber band. After 24 hours at the Seaview I felt like I might live. The stress would melt away as we approached Pawley's Island--I could literally feel it! No phones (heaven for a Realtor who is like a fireman--always on call), no TV (that includes ballgames, the news and all the mayhem brain overload junk), or neighbors. When you stay at the Seaview, you can talk to people in the wonderful living area (and I have met some colorful characters who are regular guests) or be left alone to read or dream. I actually heard that one family's patriarch died on the front porch rocking in a chair. What a way to go!! The southern food suits me fine and at least it is not out of a box. Those sweet ladies that prepare it would not dream of that! It is a magical place with breezes and sunsets that will take your breath away. Now I live in Myrtle Beach, S. C. I intentionally chose a doctor that I see once a month in Pawley's Island which forces me to visit regularly. I don't live far enough away to spend the night but , who knows, I might just check in anyway for a weekend. There is no way to explain the Seaview. Some people will never understand its appeal. Good. Maybe they won't come back and overcrowd the place. There are no unhappy people there and therefore this is no place for them anyway. People who really "get it" will never forget summers spent there. Almost undescribable. To lie in those beds with the breeze waving over you as you nap is as near heaven as you can get.

Room Tip: Oceanside rooms are my favorite but depend on the view off the ocean (Fall is the best) or choose a...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Shabby Chic, if you are into it, you will love it. VERY RELAXING. Unplug from the rat race. There is electricity though. Focus is on the ocean and the food which is provided, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wonderful portions with great desserts. EXCELLENT. No airconditioning in the inn but the breezes and the sound of the surf 24/7 are worth the trade off. Beautiful experience, lots of original art and books to enjoy. Definitely making this an annual event.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sea View Inn? Share your experiences!