“Safe choice for family” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Safe choice for family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Food and service are good. the restaurant gets a little hot, but you are at the beach - drink a margarita.

Visited June 2012

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, United States
“Possibly worst Mexican food I have ever had?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went here with my wife and the restaurant it self looks charming on the inside but that's about where it stopped. The person that sat us, brought menus, took order, brought food etc. were all different people. I really had no clue who our waitress actually was. Not that it mattered because drinks were never refilled.

I ordered enchiladas a la crema and my wife ordered flautas. Her flautas tasted like frozen out of the box taquitos and I have no clue what the "crema" was on mine. Tasted like ranch and feta??? Probably the worst food I have had at a Mexican restaurant.

We were so unhappy with the food I actually voiced my opinion about it which I have never done at a restaurant before. Neither one of us ate more than 3 bites and they ended up taking one of the meals off of the bill.

Ended up going down the street to Sonic and then home =\

I have not yet found any really good mexican places since moving here no matter what the reviews.....but none I would rate "terrible" except this one.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I'm from Oklahoma n come to south Carolina a few times a year.... My family knows their Latino food and when we come to Myrtle beach i look for a not too fancy but really authentic place where the menu has a variety. I would have to say that La Playa restaurant and cantina is more than your small town Mexican restaurant! It has food from various places for example Jamaica or from Argentina, not just Mexico. Now that's a restaurant!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Now that is Mexican & Latin too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

What a surprise. Was not expecting as much from the looks of it... but then don't judge a book by its cover. The mix of authentic Mexican dishes done just right and also a pickings from other Latin favorites (Venezuela, El Salvador, Cuba, etc.). Took the kids and they agreed, probably the best of the Mex restaurants w/in a 50 mile radius. Colorful interior and not as wild noisy as some others.

I had the Lamb Borrego Parilla which had an awesome sauce and enough for left overs for lunch the next day. My wife had the pork carnitas again enough for 2 people.

Salsa, always the acid test for a good or not so good Mex Rest... was pretty darn good. Lots of chunky stuff, cilantro and loads of flavor.

Yup, we will be back, can't wait!

Our waitress was very attentive and explained the menu items in the most pleasant manner.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Great Food, Even Better Margaritas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have been to the restaurant numerous times. As always the food was excellent, the staff attentive, and the margaritas delicious. We have a condo in True Blue and have seen restaurants come and go but La Playa has been here for 6 years and there's a reason for that...it's great. We have a friend in Rochester, NY that manages a Mexican restaurant and he recently visited La Playa. He said he doesn't know how they can serve the good food and drinks for such low prices and enjoyed his lunch very much.

The menu is large and diverse with not only Mexican choices but also Latin and Caribbean selections as well! What I like the best is the selections of Margaritas, from their house margarita to the ultimate and many in between. You can get them by the glass or even better by the pitcher. Mmmm Great!

The staff is attentive and accommodating. They great everyone happily with a smile and "Hola" and regulars with a a big hug! I will continue to frequent this restaurant everytime I am at our condo In Pawleys Island. Thanks Lisa, Karen, Edgar (the Mexican Magician), and Candy a server for making my visits very pleasurable!

• Visited May 2012