“If it wasn't for the staff, I would have been verry unhappy” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Orangeburg
South Florida
“If it wasn't for the staff, I would have been verry unhappy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stopped on the road. It was the first hotel off the exit of I-26. I know they are mid-low end but I was tired and lazy. The woman at the front desk was so friendly and pleasant I figured I would take a chance even though the rates were a bit high for this type of place.

The room was terrible. smelled of mildew from the tiny bathroom whose door wouldn't close right (pocket door only made it 3/4 way in). The carpet was buckled so badly in so many places you couldn't use the roller suitcase without lifting. The room was jammed tight with 2 full size beds (no way queens would have fit). I wanted to walk out and go to another hotel, but I was too tired.

The a/c continuously came on and off fairly loudly and woke me up every few minutes all night long. The bed was well worn and was probably comfortable when it was new, but now had the feel of bumps scattered throughout.

The morning breakfast with waffles, cereal and the usual etc. was actually pretty good and was managed by 3 staff members who kept the place tidy and neat while helping everyone who even looked slightly in need. Again the staff saved the day.

As we checked out the desk person again was friendly and even passed on a nice verbal message from the night desk. I wanted to complain, but the people were so friendly I just didn't want to make a scene.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel unless you are desperate or broke.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Middlebury, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was our first stop at a Sleep Inn and will certainly be our last. Not wanting to spend $100+ at the Hampton Inn (our first stop) we decided to try the Sleep Inn. After all how bad can a chain hotel be for one night? Well, we found out. With taxes and fees our bill was $87 and for that we got a very noisy room with people coming and going all night, a tiny, less than clean bathroom, a sleeping room that needed a thorough cleaning and sheets that fit. I think they put a double sheet on a queen bed. Merciful dawn meant we could have some breakfast and leave, but wrong again. THE WORST BREAKFAST I've ever seen. Virtually nothing was edible except for some very low grade cold cereal and I wasn't about to risk the milk. Coffee was awful and when I asked for a simple piece of bread to toast, I was snappily told there was no bread.
I have no idea how Sleep Inn can allow such a place to exist and the price was outrageous. The following night we spent at a Comfort Inn in Winchester, VA that was superior and at a lesser price!

Room Tip: avoid the place at all costs, I wish we did.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Orangeburg hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I needed a hotel for the night so we called this hotel and spoke to mandy, the general manager. She immediately reserved us a room and even gave us a discount(which was much needed at the time). She was extremely accommodating to us, always checking on us to see if we were enjoying things. She was very concerned with our well being and genuinely sincere our entire stay. I would definitely stay here again especially if it means coming in during the night shift and dealing with the extremely kind and accommodating night staff. Thank you also to the front desk representative that was working that night with mandy. Our family really appreciates your attentive hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
St. Helena Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is great. We stayed here because our religious group heal a convention not far from it. Upon entrance to the hotel at about 12pm, the trash can outside the entrance was over flowing, and trash was on the ground. I entered the lobby to check in and there was no one to greet guests! I stood there about 5-6 minutes before a man came from the back to check me in! We had 2 rooms and both rooms were below standard! My mothers room was EXTRA dusty, there was rust along the rim of her toilet, hair on the seat of the toilet, and on the floor! My room was the same!!! I was afraid to look at the sheets but after inspection I founf them to be clean. When we checked out the next day, while inspecting my moms room to make sure she had all her stuff, I found a items from previous guests in the drawer! WTH!! The breakfast was OK but the lady attendant needs a serious attitude adjustment! This lady was NOT friendly to guests at all! Seriously Sleep Inn, we pay for quality service, if your workers can't give that, maybe you should give the job to some needy person with a heart, cause that lady definitely does not represent a company that wants it's customers to return!!

• Stayed April 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a decent looking hotel. As for the staff some were friendly and some not so friendly. The desk clerks were great. In the morning the breakfast was sufficient. The only problem was the lady taking care of it. Several guest tried to have a conversation with her and she was short and basically didn't want to be bothered. Another thing , I noticed was there was a large group of people there on Sunday morning trying to check out. The housekeeping staff had three ladies and three carts waiting for the elevator while guest were trying to check out. I thought that was tacky. Why not let you're guest leave and then take over the elevator. I was wondering if the area was safe because everything in the room was chained down. I guess you can't be too careful. One more thing, the rooms need a good dusting. There were spiderwebs and lot of dust. I had to be honest of my review of what I found. Would I stay here again, probably yes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Upon arrival, I experienced a couple minor issues with my room and it was a bit less than expected from other Sleep Inn hotels I have stayed. The front desk gentlemen was friendly and helpful and the front desk manager, Mandy, became involved and was eager to please. I was immediately offered another room and explanation on issues I experienced. She went out of her way in customer service. There was a little glitch in bill when leaving, but that was also given front desk staff and management's personal attention and resolved by the time arrived home. Rooms at this hotel and any Sleep Inn are smaller and geared to business travelers, but have everything expected in any other hotel including microwave and fridge. This hotel filled my needs after a long day of driving. It is also a great location for ease in getting on and off the highway. Hopefully, corporate is listening, if poor conditions experienced by others are beyond management control and puts the staff up against a wall. I do agree that breakfast area was way too dark.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have never been on Tripadvisor before but saw a sign on the door of Sleep Inn and thought I would take a look. I can't believe the bad reviews. The staff was so very friendly from the check in to breakfast. The entry way is beautiful and they said it had just been remodeled. The rooms look a little older but were VERY clean. Compared to other hotels in the area, the price and value were well worth it. We stayed for 2 nights visiting family in the area and have found a home when we're here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!