“I go out of my way to stay there!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Orangeburg
Miami Beach
“I go out of my way to stay there!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I travel up and down I-95 several times a year and always plan on spending the night in this hotel which is actually out of my way a bit. That's how pleased I am with it. I have never had the experiences that other reviews relate. The room has always been cleaned, as well as the common areas, It is conveniently next to a Cracker Barrel, and the parking lot is safe. What more to ask from a hotel on the road? In fact, I'm staying there again, soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Something about the name of this place just rocks. Country Inn & Suites. Why wouldn't you want to stay here? It's like you just expect to be all warm and cozy and wake up to biscuits and gravy. Though they have the relatively typical lobby of your chain hotels, it's not bad. Even the front desk staff are really friendly, and we managed to score the last room in the inn. Not saying I'm like the coming of baby Jesus or anything. Just saying.

Unfortunately, when we actually arrived in that room, it appears that getting the last room isn't all it's cracked up to be. Namely, the prior tenants decided to leave us some presents.

Let me also add that while the rest of our crew is picky, I'm not. We stayed in a hostel in Bonaire that had louvers in the window that were open to the street. No chicken wire or anything. You could reach out and slap someone if you so chose. Not that I did.

Water from the shower would come out of a pipe in the wall when you turned the single handle (no hot or cold, just "on"). No head on the shower. Just a pipe.

The light in that room was on a timer so you couldn't even enjoy that shower for more than a minute or so. The twin beds were less comfortable than the same on a cruise ship when you pushed them together (I don't think you were supposed to do that). I didn't mind this place.

But the Country Inn & Suites in Orangeburg, SC? I was the one who chose to leave. The carpet was dirty. There were strange marks on the wall. Some sort of candy bar - and I'm being generous in assuming it was a candy bar - was left on the top cushion of the sofa. The only good news was that the friendly front-desk staff didn't charge us for the five-minute stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Orangeburg hotels

kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

We stopped at this hotel on our way to Florida. The lobby was very attractive and homey. That is where the positive aspects of this hotel ended. The staff at the front desk was very unfriendly and when we got checked into our rooms, we unfolded the pullout sofa and there were little black hairs all over the sheets. We went over to the bed and checked the sheets. There were also hairs all over the bed sheets. We called the desk and someone came in and changed our sheets. My children were very upset about having to stay there, however, since I had made the reservation through an internet site on my credit card, I did not feel that leaving was an option. There was also thick dust on the furniture. I did not feel that this hotel had a very good standard of cleanliness and I will definately never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
NEPA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

When we arrived, I was concerned about the hotel's pet policy and the desk clerk assured me that the rooms with pets were on the first floor and that all the rooms were thoroughly cleaned. Our room was not on the first floor, but I could hear dogs barking and cats meowing in the halls on our floor. A woman with three unleashed dogs entered the elevator with my family. Our room had a strong smell of deodorizer (flea powder.) I have stayed at many Country Inns and Suites before and I was very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

My family and I stopped in for a night on our trip to Florida. The lobby of the hotel was a warm attractive site. Front desk confirmed our on-line reservation and placed us on second floor. Walking up the staircase to the second floor we could hear a dog barking and jumping at the door. We found our room at the end of the second floor hall. On entering the room we found the room was not clean. We were met with a dirty carpet (not sure what was lying on the carpet) and a wet wash cloth on the floor. We turned around abruptly and headed back to the front desk. We were told they had a full hotel the night before and some of the rooms were not cleaned but they did not know this room was dirty. We were given a keycard for a room on the third floor. Again, we met 2 more dogs in the hallway on that floor. We went down to try the pool. The pool was indoor and was clean but quite cool. Sat in the hot tub to ease a troubled back after a 12 hour drive but noticed the walls of the hot tub were covered in algae. It too needed to be cleaned and not because they had a full house the night before! Our room was quiet for the night, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was very clean. Breakfast the next morning was also very good. The hotel looks and smells new, but management needs to be more responsible to keep the hotel new and not another dirty dive.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Nikro2003
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We had reservations for lodging at another location, but saw Country Inn and Suites next door. Since I had always stayed with this chain when I travelled for work, we decided to stay here instead. Glad we did! We were provided a suite since travelling with 2 children. It was great to have an extra room where the kids could watch TV and play and we didn’t feel cooped up. Since my husband was there for business the kids and I were here all day alone, but found plenty to do. The indoor pool was clean and room was "roomy" enough to play and the restaurants next door were nice. I do wish the location was better since we were without wheels, but it worked out. The breakfast was very well presented and put together and the area very clean and the staff helpful to me while I was trying to satisfy two children with their meal.
The price was average, but acceptable for the suite and accommodations.
On another note, but not anything to do with the hotel, this area does not offer a lot for a family with young children. So, plan accordingly if you will be looking for something for the family to do, especially during the work week.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Richardson, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

It is difficult to read or write a review when there are issues that are situational, meaning things that no other client may encounter. I will list the pros and then deal with the problems we encountered.

We stayed at the hotel on Friday, July 18, 2008. We rented a 1 bedroom suite with two queen beds. The rate we were to receive from the company web site was $103.46 + tax.

We did accidentally request a smoking room when booking on the web site. We hate the smell of smoke and are usually very careful when booking. Fortunately the room did not seem to smell of smoke, probably because it is still so new.

The facility is very nice for this class of hotel. You could tell it is fairly new. The lobby and rooms are very nicely decorated. We rented a two room suite that had two queen beds in the bedroom and a pull out sofa in the front room. Both rooms were equipped with flat screen TV’s. The front room did have a small hotel fridge, microwave, and a two cup ‘pod’ coffee pot. The room was similar to an Embassy Suites room with the exception of no table or sink in the living room.

We did not use the indoor pool but it appeared to be decent size and in good shape. The exercise facility appeared limited to treadmills and exercise bikes.

The hotel is fairly easy access from the highway. A Cracker Barrel is right next door, and we did notice a few other restaurants nearby.

The hotel provides a free breakfast, and I will say this one was a bit nicer than the usual. There were the normal pastries and cereals, and a waffle iron for making waffles, but they also had biscuits and gravy and microwaveable breakfast sandwiches. The staff appeared diligent in keeping the breakfast stocked.

Now the negative: When we made our reservation we specifically requested to be in a quieter part of the hotel because we were there with our two daughters. After getting settled into our room we found that there was a large family reunion occupying numerous rooms at the hotel, and our room was right in the middle of them. The halls were full of noisy groups of people yelling, running up and down the halls, slamming doors, etc, and it was continuous. The people were all ages, kids, teens, adults. At 10:00 p.m. I called the front desk to ask that they address the issue. It did not improve and in fact got louder. After another hour of noise including people trying to come into our room I called again. The lone front desk staff person did come to the floor but there was no improvement. At 12:30 a.m. I went to the front desk and asked to be moved to another room or facility. They were unable to do anything because they said the hotel was full, but said they would “comp” my room for the night. The desk person did call the main noise room and asked them to settle down. The noise did subside somewhat around 3:00 a.m. At 7:00 a.m. the front desk called our room, waking everyone up, to tell us they had adjusted our rate to $79. I was too tired to argue at that point. Shortly after that the noise in the hall started, so we got up.

After breakfast I went to the front desk to discuss how “comp” means $79, and the general manager quickly agreed to remove all charges. I have since communicated with the general manager and the corporate office and everyone was very apologetic.

I am giving the hotel such a bad overall review because this was one of the worst nights I have ever spent in any hotel. The facility appeared to have no procedures in place to deal with a rowdy crowd, and probably did not want to ask them to leave because they were occupying so many rooms. I did consider calling the police due to some of the drunken people wandering the halls and the hotels inability to control the situation.

• Liked — Nice facility
  • Disliked — Unable to control noisy crowd
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Country Inn & Suites Orangeburg? Share your experiences!