“If you're looking for a resort, this ain't it!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Avista Resort

You added Avista Resort to your Saves list
Avista Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 North Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Announcement
New Years Eve
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“If you're looking for a resort, this ain't it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

My family and I have been staying in Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach for the past 10 years or so. We generally try to stay in a different condo every year, and this year we selected Avista Resort. We are a family of four (mom, dad, and two adult children). We have stayed in Crescent Shores, Ashworth, Anderson Ocean Club, Mar Vista, etc. and we have high expectations for our vacation stays.

I originally selected this "resort" because it had a restaurant and bar (two, if you count the pool bar, as well as the 4th floor bar) and was close to Main Street in North Myrtle Beach. I've seen a lot of reviewers comment that the location of this condo-hotel is bad. This is not true. It is in the Ocean Drive section of North Myrtle Beach, and not too far of a drive to Barefoot Landing. If you want to travel into Myrtle Beach, stay there, because it's a pretty hefty drive in mid-summer traffic and certainly not worth the headache.

First, check-in was really no different from any other place we have stayed. During the summer, it's crazy, especially on the weekends. The staff was very friendly and the "valet" people didn't push us to unload and get out too much. Carts were fairly readily available, although the wait for elevators was a bit long. The one thing that I did not like was the staff immediately went on a timeshare spiel...not my thing. There were also people coming in and out for the timeshare speech throughout the first weekend we were there, which doesn't appeal to me given the price we paid for our three bedroom oceanfront condo.

The room...well...personally, not resort quality in my opinion. There was blue carpeting in the rooms (I mean, it's a beach place- sandy, hello!?!- so blue carpeting wasn't a great choice). There were stains on the carpeting, the stopper in the drain of the third bathroom wouldn't stay up (who wants to lift that out and see the mold/mildew??), two of the burners on the stove didn't work, there was a taco chip sitting on one of the windowsills from check-in to check-out (even though they cleaned every day), the springs were way off in one of the couches, the carpeting was cut and installed poorly, and the lock to the sliding glass door was broken. I can, however, say that as soon as we called the front desk about the broken lock on the door, within 5 minutes a worker was in the room to replace the lock. There was a washer/dryer combo in the room (we always use these to dry towels and wash clothes mid-week) that took 4 HOURS to wash and dry. Plus, the machine was confusing to work, and would lock and not open without a magic touch (no no no, not my precious clothes!!!). The views from all of the bedrooms (we had an end unit) were absolutely fabulous, and certainly one of the benefits of this place. In fact, I said throughout the week that this place certainly has potential, but not without a few updates and changes.

The pool/lazy river area was pretty nice. It was very expansive, and with proper upkeep, would make this a great place to stay. First, I know that times are rough, but the pool chairs need to be replaced. I found myself reserving a pool chair daily at about 8:30 AM so that I could get one that didn't need repairs (I know, it's not allowed, but what can I say!?). Additionally, the chairs were SOOOO close together and dangerously close to the pools!!!!!! The pools were cleaned daily, but generally not until after the pools were technically to be opened. If the pools are supposed to be open at 8, then the workers should be done cleaning by 8, in my opinion. The pools were very small, given the number of people that were staying at the condo-hotel.

The pool bar was a nice touch, but the drinks were expensive. I got some fruity tropical drink with a bit of Bacardi, and it cost $9.24...needless to say, that was my last pool bar drink!

The rooms were cleaned daily, and the housekeeping staff (whenever I happened to meet them in one of my many trips back to the room for a drinks/potty breaks) were always friendly.

The rooms themselves were fairly noisy. Every night, it sounded like there were little kids jumping around upstairs. Also, I'm not sure if it was the washer/dryer combos or the dishwashers, but something made random "waw waw waw" noises throughout the day and night. I actually began to think maybe the room was haunted, but I think it might have just been an overworked/outdated water system or something.

The parking deck was the worst out of any of the places I have stayed. It was downright dangerous!!! If you have a larger car, park on the higher floors, just expect it to take forever to get back down to the ground floor.

I'm sure I missed something, and if you made it this far through my review...great...I do feel that the Avista "Resort" has potential, but as is, it certainly isn't a resort. Last year, I stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club Resort and Spa in Myrtle Beach. THAT was a resort. I stayed in a three bedroom condo, with a nice kitchen, a working stove, a SEPARATE washer and dryer, granite countertops, double sinks in the master bedrooms, etc. and paid the EXACT SAME PRICE. While the price has raised in the past year at the Anderson, because of the addition of a pool bar, if I'm going to stay in a so-called resort, I'd rather it be the Anderson, or any other place in North Myrtle or Myrtle Beach. Not a bad stay, but not a great stay. If you have high expectations, as my family and I do, don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
terre haute, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

This was my first trip to the North Myrtle Beach area. The avista overall was a nice place to stay. Here are a few things I found that I liked and didnt like:

1. The parking garage is a pain. If you have a larger car, its going to be hard to find a parking spot. Use the mirrors. If someone hasnt had an accident yet, they will.
2. The hotel staff is awesome. Very friendly and helpful.
3. The place is very clean. Rooms are very clean and cleaned daily, always had plenty of towels for the week. The pool area is kept very clean and nice.
4. The wireless internet doesnt work very well.
5. The views from the rooms of the ocean are awesome. Cant be beat.
6. The Avista is not a resort. I have been to resorts and it doesnt compare to a resort. Its more of a upscale hotel/condo unit. Its a nice place but really in the wrong place if you want to walk to places. If you want to see things, you have to drive down south to Myrtle Beach to see alot.

Would I stay here again. Only if I was staying in North Myrtle Beach. If your staying in NMB, I would highly recommend the Avista. If you want to be closer to the night life and happenings, I would recommend staying further south.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed for 2nd time at the Avista. Great location for families. Beach front is wonderful, with nice sand, and watched by lifeguards. We decided not to rent a car this time, but instead took a taxi from the airport - pricey ($60 + tip). But as we stayed 11 nights, saved us $$ over watching a rental car sit in the garage day after day, as our focus was beach and more beach! Only complaint this time was understaffed housekeeping - our room was cleaned LATE afternoons, or completely missed one day... Avista needs to step it up a notch on maintaining proper levels of housekeeping staff. Otherwise, front desk staff was excellent, restaurant has good food, and pools, lazy rivers, beach, sand surf, all very very good - would definitely come back a 3 time...!!

raleigh, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Got a great price on Orbitz on a 1 bedroom room. Was perfect for our family of 4. Small kitchenette and washer/dryer combo was a nice surprise. Room was very clean. Staff seemed attentive and was very visible at the pool and luggage unloading area. This is a great part of North MB. We walked to dinner and ice cream one night. Definitely will be back!

North Huntingdon, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

This was my family's first stay at the Avista. We usually have stayed at Sea Watch in NMB. I must say our overall experience was very good. Our major likes: Oceanfront (steps to the beach), Pool area/Lazy River (great both inside and outside), Spacious bathroom, adequately sized bedrooms, adequately sized living room, small balcony. Our major dislikes: The kitchen area is Way to Small, almost NO counterspace to cook even a small meal. Check-in: We checked in on Saturday, 6/12/10. We rent through CondoLux, which was very crowded, then had to go through another check-in process through Avista to get the room key. Very limited parking to check in. Once you check in, you have 20 min. to get your valuables up to your room, then have to cross the street to park in their parking lot (hint: if you have a SUV, be prepared for the tight parking spaces) I have a full size Buick and found that parking on the upper floors were much easier to get in and out of. Also: we did not have luck with the free wifi. We found everytime we tried it get on whether daytime or evening it was so darn slow...
Other than the kitchen area/check in/slow wifi, we had no real major issues. There are so many condo choices in NMB, we decided to try Avista and were well pleased with our stay. We paid $740 USD for 1 week stay for a 1 BDRM OF room through CondoLux. We booked in January this year to get a $100 discount (which helps once you add in the sales tax).
Places we ate that we liked: Carolina Roadhouse, Bubba's Fish Shack in Surfside Beach & Sea Captain's House. All really, really good.
Places for groceries nearby: Kroger's, Bi-Lo (less than 5 min drive). WalMart (less than 10 min drive).
Water Temp at Ocean: A lovely 80 degrees!! Temp Outside: Mid 90s to low 80s last week.
This year's memorable highlight/lowlight of our trip: Having to get out of the ocean last Friday due to an alligator being spotted in the water!!! Yes, it's true..we actually saw it floating on thewater. YIKES!!!. No one harmed that we knew of. Thanks to the Lifeguards!! That was truly a first.
Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did! Absolutely love the NMB/MB area, plenty of southern charm and warm weather!!

San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Our oceanfront suite was amazing! The view was well worth the price. The resort was clean and well-maintained. I will definitely recommend Avista to friends and family, and we will stay here again when in the area.

Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This place was a very nice hotel to stay at. We had a one bedroom ocean front suite. The air conditioner was ICE COLD and it was over 100 degrees outside. The bedroom was missing a remote control and the front desk sent one up in seconds with no questions asked. The front loading washer/dryer combo was a nice addition. There was even a dishwasher. All in all, we loved the location, price (4 nights for $600), cleanliness, etc.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!