“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avista Resort

You added Avista Resort to your Saves list
Avista Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 North Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Offers & Announcements
$60 (USD)
Carlsbad, California
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have stayed at the Avista two times now and we are planning another trip in the fall. Everyone on staff is very friendly and our room was very clean. Love the pools, hot tubs, and lazy river. The restaurant is very good also.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear karmatkg,

Thank you so much for your continued support and patronage of the Avista and for taking the time to share your comments for guests looking for a great place to spend their vacation. We look forward to your return in the fall and the chance to continue wowing you and yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Versailles, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Wow! Super nice great location! Very clean and quiet! Friendliness of staff and quick response to any request for anything! Love this place! Highly recommended! It has a lot to offer! Rooms were superb! Beds were great! View just simply AMAZING!!!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in one bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom! They were all great! 3 bedroom corner suite...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Darlene L,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your recent stay at the Avista. We are very happy to see that you had an enjoyable and fantastic visit and look forward to hosting you and yours again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Avista Resort June 26-29 2014. We were in town for the NTBA youth basketball tournament. We played multiple basketball games daily. Well, on Thursday, June 26 after a day of travel (4 hours) and games we arriving back at the resort around 10:30 pm exhausted and wanted to get ready for bed. Unfortunately, the tub would not drain and we were unable to take showers. I called the from desk and the sent someone up. Needless to say, that someone wasn't anyone from maintenance, but a security guard who came in and said there wasn't anything he could do. He said it would have to wait until the next morning because they didn't have maintenance staff who worked the night shift. I thought that was strange given the size of the resort. I called the front desk back and they said I could go to another room and take a shower. After I objected she said she could move me to another room. I told her that was feasible because by this time it was after 11 pm, my child had already started to fall asleep and we had already unpacked our belongings and it would have been too much trouble trying to pack every thing up to move. I asked to speak to the manager, but was told he wasn't there. Now, this is another problem. What establishment doesn't have a manager onsite to address issues and make decisions.

The next morning before heading to breakfast (after 9 am) I went to the front desk to see the manager. At 9 am he isn't in the office yet. Still shower will not drain and we haven't had a shower just a small bird bath.. We head to breakfast and return. I stop at the desk to speak with the manager (Zach Frazier). I explained the situation and he says he will comp me 20% for a room that I paid $216 per night (3 night minimum stay) which came up to $42. I told him that wasn't comparable enough to my inconvenience. He proceeded to state they offered me to allow me to take a shower in another room and move me. He didn't show any empathy for me situation and was rude.

I asked to speak to someone over him. He gave me Jim Eggen's name, but said he would give me his cell number. I called Jim on Friday June 27 and left my cell number because I knew I wouldn't be in the room. Being on vacation and in the gym all day that was the best number to reach me. After not hearing from Jim all day Friday I called Zach Frazier back Saturday afternoon. Zach said Jim had called me and left a message and I told him I never received the message. Well late Saturday night when I returned to the room I see the light flashing on the room phone. Jim called twice. Why would he call me in the room. I gave him my cell number. Seems as though after not getting me after two tries in the room he would have taken the initiative to check their computer system for a better contact number.

Sunday, June 29 I go back to the front desk to see if I could get this situation taken care of before checking out. Again, Zach Frazier nor Jim Eggen are in the office. The front line staff said her supervisor would be in around 9 am. Once again, no decision makers on site. I return at the designated time and spoke to Angela Roberts. She said she couldn't override what Zach Frazier had offered. She said would send Jim Eggen an email in hopes of him contacting me.

July 1, I still have not heard back from Jim Eggen or anyone representing the Avista Resort. I will never stay there again. Also, parking is terrible, the elevators are slow, the beds are uncomfortable and the ice maker on the 11th floor didn't work for 2 days.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Reggie G,

I am terribly sorry to see that you did not have the stay you had expected and while we have a number of disagreements including fair compensation, I do want to assure you that we were very empathetic of your situation, and apologized profusely that when the incident happened we did not have maintenance staff on property to take care of the issue and that you had faced this inconvenience. We assured you the situation would be taken care of, which it was and also added monetary compensation to make up for the troubles. The staff member working, made every attempt that he had to make sure that you were happy, but you had declined electing to rather speak to a manager in the morning. I do hope that after the initial inconvenience you had a better stay and that your daughter had a great tournament. I also hope that you do come back in the future so that you can see the issue you had faced was not typical and certainly an anomaly.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The cons: This was a big family vacation for us with a party of 15. We booked our rooms in February requesting that our rooms be close together and on lower floors. Our rooms were as far away from each other as could possibly be and we were on the 14th and 15th floors. I understand that there are no guarantees with requests, but it was a major inconvenience to be so far apart. The railing on the balcony vibrated so loudly due to high winds that we had to rig up something to make the noise stop. You couldn't even sleep for the noise. The washer/dryer combo was awful.
The pros: Very clean rooms. Very kind and helpful staff. 3 BR corner room was perfect for two families of four. The view was unbelievable. Lots of fun activities for the kids. We would stay here again. Just wish we had been closer together.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Cougarmom16,

Thank you very much for staying with us and please accept our apology that we were unable to meet your request. I can assure you that we work very hard to do everything we can to make sure that our guest requests are met and typically do a fantastic job. When you are planning a return trip, please don't hesitate to let me know what your requests are. While I can't guarantee anything, I can track the reservation and do my best to ensure that you are receiving exactly what you are looking for.
Clayton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We booked a one bedroom suite thinking, incorrectly, that the beds were queen sized. The one bedroom had two double beds in the bedroom a double (short) wall bed and a pull out sofa. We expected the pull out bed to be uncomfy (aren't they all) so we planned for our youngest to sleep on it. Turns out my husband was too tall for any of the beds. He's 6'1 hardly NBA tall. To top that off the beds were so uncomfortable. No support on any but the wall bed. The others were riddled with springs poking us in the back and hips all night.
The pool area was dated and dirty and there was no readily available bathroom. The nearest bathroom to the pool was up the stairs or elevator to the lobby floor and in the opposite tower. Not great for families or those of us with weak bladders.
The elevators take forever in both hotel towers and the parking garage that is across the street. The hallways on the floors with rooms are not air conditioned neither are the elevators. Prepare yourself. No air circulation whatsoever. Not too terrible unless you're following somebody smelly into the elevator. Then it's pure torture.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Jujufield,

I am very sorry to see that you weren't satisfied with your recent stay with us. I am unsure if you booked your reservation through the internet or our reservations department but I apologize for any confusion with the bedding, unfortunately none of our units have queen beds in them. I am also sorry that you weren't able to find any of the beds comfortable, and would love to speak with you about which unit you were in so that we have the chance to check the beds and let the homeowner know if it is possible they need to be replaced. However in the future if you do return, please don't hesitate to let the front desk know if you are uncomfortable. We do have ways of making the beds a little softer or firmer depending on your preference.
I did also want to apologize about any inconveniences you faced in the hallways or in the pool area, all of our hallways are indoors and are air conditioned. Also we were unable to build restrooms on the ground floor when we were built, but there are restrooms a short distance from the pool area in the north beach access for your convenience. I hope that you do decide to stay with us again in the future and again am very sorry about the issues you had faced. Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time with questions or concerns.
King, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

This was one of the worst customer service experiences we have ever had. The entire staff was unorganized, confused, and had a ‘could care less’ attitude.
We had a reservation for a 2 bedroom condo. When we arrived on 6/23/2014, the front desk explained our room wasn’t available, so they upgraded us to a 3 bedroom, but only for 2 nights. Then they would move us to a 2 bedroom. For our inconvenience they gave us a $52.00 credit(?).
Tuesday we spent the day on the beach. Avista advertises that they have multiple indoor and outdoor ‘water features’, both indoors and outdoors. It seemed odd they DON’T HAVE ANY BATHROOMS ON THE POOL LEVEL. Kids running around playing in all these pools and their sign (they have lots and lots of signs) advise you to go upstairs to the small restroom by the lobby. Where are all of these kids really peeing? On the ground floor by the pools, particularly the indoor pools, they don’t smell very clean.
Housekeeping was a joke. Crumbs on the table and floor Tuesday, along with dead bugs in the corner and under furniture. After housekeeping ‘cleaned’ the room we called and asked for them to come again. They did, but still missed the crumbs on the table (and the dead bugs). Most staff I came across acknowledged me as a guest or smiled.
Based on our experience so far I wasn’t comfortable with them making the move for us on Wednesday, particularly because we had food in the refrigerator, so I called the front desk and asked if our new room was available. They said it wasn’t available yet, but reassured me everything would be fine. I told them I wanted to make the move myself and we would be ready no later than noon. My wife went down to the front desk around 10 AM and asked if we could stay in the room we were in since they didn’t have the other room ready for us. They told her no. During this time I came in from the balcony and a woman with a list in her hand had come into the room. She asked if we had been moved already(?!?). I said no, and we had told the front desk we would be ready no later than noon. She was very confused, and also couldn’t tell me what room we were moving to. This was at the same time my wife was at the front desk being told we had to move out of our room, but they couldn’t tell us where to. It quickly became clear they didn’t know who was in what room or when / where we were supposed to move. I believe their plan was to pack our things on carts and put them in a holding room until they figured out what room to move us into. I don’t think they had a plan (or cared less) about what was in our refrigerator.
Around 11 AM I called and asked for a manager, and was quickly transferred to a voice mail. I said in my voice mail that everyone seemed to be confused and unorganized, and I didn’t have any confidence that their staff could manage a move. I wasn’t going to go off and about wondering where my stuff went. I never received a call back.
Around 12 noon my wife went back down to the front desk and asked to speak with a manager. She reiterated we weren’t comfortable with them moving our things into la la land while we were out and about in Myrtle Beach. She said he was very condescending to her, and kept stepping closer to her while he explained that ‘these things take time’. Stepping closer, into someone’s ‘space’, is a BULLY TACTIC. He also told her that we were moving to another 3 bedroom, which made even less sense. Why did we have to move to a 3 bedroom if we were already in a 3 bedroom? He said because she had demanded another 3 bedroom earlier at the front desk. This was simply not the case and yet another example of how unorganized and confused they were.
We did finally get moved, to another 3 bedroom, and it was as nice as, if not nicer, than the first room. However, we lost over 3 hours of our vacation time trying to sort out their issue.
When I checked out on Thursday at 11 AM (we asked for late check-out of noon but were declined), there were three people behind the desk and no other guests around. Two of them were taking, and while I waited for someone to acknowledge I was standing there they finished their conversation for about 30 seconds. It didn’t sound work related, it sounded like gossip. I laid down my room keys and the pool bracelets. One walked away and the other asked me what room number. She didn’t ask me how my stay was, but she did say she hoped I would come back. I said, “I can pretty much guarantee you that I will never, ever, stay at this resort again.” She just smiled and asked me if I needed a receipt.

Room Tip: My tip to choosing a good room is to choose one at another place.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Jeff G,

We are very disappointed to see that you did not have a great stay with us and are very sorry for any shortcomings that we caused and that we dropped the ball for you and your family. I would also like to clear up some of your concerns.
I want to apologize that you and your family had to do a forced room move due to an engineering issue in the unit you were scheduled to arrive. Due to the unforeseen issue we did upgrade you to a three bedroom condo as well as compensated you off of the room rate for the inconvenience. We understand this was not ideal and are very sorry for that.
In regards to not having bathrooms on the ground floor, unfortunately when the property was built this was something that we were unable to do because of DHEC standards. However there are public restrooms a short 20 foot walk from the north pool entrance that we have added more signage for.
I also want to apologize for any confusion, the person that you spoke within the hall would be a housekeeper and they would not have guest information on their sheets due to strict privacy policies. I can assure yo that you had a room already assigned to move into and that the desk was well aware of what that room was, but due to policy they cannot give you that room number until the room is clean and ready.

I understand that this experience was not ideal and I ma very sorry for not returning your call as I was out of town when you had left your voice mail. I understand you since talked with another manager but I would be more than happy to answer any lingering questions or concerns you may have. I would also hope that you give us another chance to make this up to you and if you would be willing to stay with us again, please don't hesitate to contact me anytime.

Warmest regards,

Zach Frazier
843-417-5511
zach.frazier@avistaresort.com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We have stayed at avista for five years now and it is about to be our sixth. all times we have stayed here we have been on the third floor. While the view was better than expected we would like to know whether the higher views are better. Are rooms on the seventh floor better than rooms on the third floor oceanfront? we are considering it. Anyway rooms are great and pools are a nice addition. The on site restaurant is great. I love the breakfast potatoes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear oliver w,

Thank you so much for your continued support of the Avista Resort. We are very happy to see that we have continued to meet and exceed your families expectations and to become your home away from home. We believe that our views are certainly great from every floor on the property but the higher you are the farther out in the ocean you will be able to see. In our opinion you cant go wrong.

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!