“Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avista Resort

Save Saved
You added Avista Resort to your Saves list
Avista Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 North Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Offers & Announcements
$74 (USD)
Townville, SC
“Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Beautiful resort with plenty of amenities. One of the most friendliest front dest staff i have ever come across.We had an ocean view that put some ocean front views to shame! We were on the 17th floor on the end unit and could see for miles down the beach! The only negative we had was that the maid service wasnt great, but we dont requre much since we spend most of our time out of the room "shagging" We were so impressed though, that i booked the coming weekend! May be on my "favorites list for "SOS" in North Myrtle beach!

Room Tip: I recomend the top floor end unit!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for being a repeat guest and spending part of your SOS vacation with the Avista and for the wonderful comments about our staff. I agree they are friendly and enjoy their work at the resort and the many wonderful guests who have chosen to make us their vacation “home”. It was very disappointing to see we did not take care of the room in a fashion we both expect and we will be discussing this with our management team at our weekly meet so we do not disappoint you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here on and off for 8-9you years. If tbis had been our first time we wouldn't go back and may not! I called a week ahead to make sue we would have a working stove. NOT ...sink didn't drain properly, washer dryer combo..dryer didnt work, (had wet cloths hanging everywhere ), problem with water leak in the room above, sticky bathroom floor and check in was at 4 pm! Turned down for early check in!! The reasons we stay are the location and pool music. Pleny of other places to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2013
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and to let us know where we did not do our job to our satisfaction. No one should check into a room with this many issues and while we cannot stop water from coming into someone’s condo we can make sure the room is in good condition upon your arrival and for that we are truly sorry. We do know you have plenty of places to stay and appreciate your being a return guest. We do have different levels of Condo’s as these are all individually owned and therefore are not all the same. Please ask for an upgraded unit for your next visit as we do have units with the old W/D combo and they do not work very well. In fact we stopped even listed this as an option due to their performance but many owners have opted for the separate washer dryer units which are a little more like what we are used to. They still do not use forced air and the dehumidifier process takes a number of hours but it is the best option out there currently. Again please accept my apologies and we do hope you come back and have he stay we both know the Avista Resort can provide. If you could email me your room number I would like to look into these issues to ensure they have all been completed. jimeggen@mbseasideresorts.com
Huntington, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have taken our senior adults here for the past 5 years. This year we took 44. You won't find a better hotel for this price at the beach. The breakfast buffet was excellent with great selections and the staff was amazing, both in the dinning room & front desk. We had several birthdays, the hotel sent cards & balloons to all. There were some minor repairs in some rooms, but these were handled speedily after being reported. We have already booked for next year! We love this place.

Room Tip: Ocean view above 10th floor, left tower while facing hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for returning to the Avista and for bringing so many of your friends, what a great group, they made such an impression on our staff and we were delighted to host you all here. We truly are blessed that you have made us your Beach “Home” and chose to come back each year to visit with us. Have a safe trip and come back as soon as you can. Jim
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I just left the Avista on 9/8/2013 after a week of the most unpleasant stay that we have ever had there.
We made reservations well in advance and we requested a room on the 3rd. floor if possible. It took quit some time for the young lady to work this out
since she said she was a new employee and was struggling to get our reservations complete. After some time she finally said all was well and sent us an email confirming the reservation.
On 9/03/2013 we arrived and went to check-in. The gentleman that assisted us with check-in said that we was all set on the "17th. floor".
Well as you can imagine this did not go over well with us and we insisted that we get as close as possible to the 3rd. floor. After struggling on the computer
for well over 30 minutes he finally worked us in on the 5th. floor. According to him all of this was the problem of the person that set-up the reservation (of course).
The following day we left the room at about 10 AM to enjoy the beach. Returning to our room later in the day we discovered that we had not had maid service.
After eating a late lunch and waiting around for the room to be cleaned (until 4:00 PM) we decided to call the desk to see when we could expect the room to be cleaned. A few minutes after our call someone did show up and made the beds and cleaned the bathroom. As she was ready to leave she asked will there be anything else. I asked was she going to vacuum the room and she said she would. We had to request maid service every day we were there.
On one occasion when the maid knocked on the door and my wife went to answer the door the door handle fell off and we had to call the front desk to get maintenance to come repair the door handle. I only thank God that this did not happen when a fire broke out.
The only time our room was vacuumed was the day I requested it. Now to spend a minute on the roaches that was on the deck of our room and in the elevator of the parking area. I know it is almost impossible to control this but maybe just a little pest control would help. One final word, the soda machine next to our room stayed "OUT OF SERVICE" the entire time we were there.
I certainly hope some changes are made by next year so that we can experience (maybe) the same great service that we have had on our previous stays at the Avista.

William & Sandra Ragland

Room Tip: Center section on the second to fourth floor is great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for writing to tell us about your stay and for your understanding. I do apologies in particular for the lack of housekeeping as this is an area we pride ourselves in and we let you down. We also missed the soda machine as it should have been reported and we should have followed up to ensure the vendor got right out to fix it. With the floor request it does get tricky so I want to give you a clear picture. We cannot guarantee the floor when you make your reservation as I know you were advised but we do try. Our computer system assigns rooms so that all the reservations are spread out to these individually owned Condo’s and then after the owners make their reservations we try to move the reservations around to accommodate our guests wants, which is what occurred after you got here, we normally do this 2-3 days out to ensure no last minute changes disappoint our guests. Every request cannot be accommodated so we do go with when the request was made. IN the future please call ahead about three days out to the front desk. I was also quite surprised to hear about any bugs as the resort gets treated monthly and though guests come and go we hardly ever see anything but certainly it can happen. Please call the front desk at any time as we will call the pest control company out as often as it takes to ensure these ore very rare occurrences. Thank you again.
milwaukee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Sept 2013 room 431
Ocean view if you had a long enough neck to see the ocean not bad but somewhat obstructed
Room was very clean and housekeeping was on top of everything plenty of towels, coffee, shampoo, soap, etc.
Staff always smiling and pleasant, other guests were happy enjoying their stay except others agreed parking was an issue
Parking was awful. Maybe if we could have stuffed our luggage for a week and our senior bodies into a smart car or golf cart (which are legal in NMB) we would have been able to park without difficulty
In main resort there are 3 handicap parking places which were always full in addition to maybe 17-20 registration 20 minute parking spaces. Bell Captain Tony assured us no problem as well as bell man Cornelius no problem we will leave your car alone just park with tag from the resort as well as your handicap tag. Got up at 6:30AM to move car from registration parking to find a friendly reminder 20 min. parking etc. please move your vehicle.
I spoke to a gal at the front desk, she agreed and asked I bring the hotel tag to the counter and they would mark in so I could park without notes for the rest of my stay. I promptly returned with my tag to find a different front counter person who also agreed and marked up my tag in red marker.
Keep up NOW 4 different employees with smiles IT IS OK next morning at 6:00AM I found a larger tag not so friendly “WARNING PARKING VIOLATION this vehicle is in violation of the following infraction registration parking only etc.”
When I checked out I had all three tags in my hand 2 different front counter employees seemed to have acted as if this happened all the time. So with my warmest smile I confirmed how wonderful housekeeping had been, how disappointed I was in the parking as well as the lip service I got when I inquired about a resolution to the parking concern
I would never stay there again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
First I want top apologies for our security staff and the warm accommodating responses you received from the FD staff and Tony and his staff is the way all our guests should be treated. It is disappointing to hear that you will not return do to the poor action of one of our staff. I do understand the frustration but do hope you reconsider as we will address this disregard for our policies with this individual and I assure you this random act will not be tolerated in the future. Again please accept my apologies for our lack of great customer service.
Winston-Salem, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our one bedroom condo was very damp feeling and smelled damp during our entire stay. First day the smell was masked because of cleaning products so we didn't request a change that day. The hotel was fully booked so we knew that they would not move us so we toughed it out. I will make sure that I request a room that hasn't had water issues the next time I book.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear beckid3,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us and sharing your comments. I am terribly sorry to hear that your carpet was damp upon arrival and that may have been due to the carpet being cleaned that day. I wish that we were aware so that we could treat the carpet or try and help make the accommodations more comfortable for you during your stay. I can assure you that if you had made the front desk aware we would have made sure that you were taken care of. We hope that you decide choose the Avista again for your next trip to the North Myrtle Beach area and look forward to serving you in the future.
Huntersville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We visited here from Sunday-Wed. in early Sept., 2013. We rented a two-bedroom, each of which had two full-sized beds. The room was extremely clean, the carpet seemed relatively new. There were older TV's in the bedrooms, but a flat screen in the main gathering area. The staff was friendly. The pools were a little small, but there were plenty of them (2 hot tubs outside, 1 inside; a lazy river inside and another outside; two small pools outside and one inside and a small round pool with a "mushroom" that water sprayed out of for kids. We didn't eat at the on site restaurant, but the prices we saw on the menu were reasonable. I'd visit here again, for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear TripleD07,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Avista. We are all very happy to see that you had a great time while with us and do plan on returning again in the future.

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!