“Love Avista!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avista Resort

You added Avista Resort to your Saves list
Avista Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 North Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Offers & Announcements
$58 (USD)
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Love Avista!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a great time at Avista Resort. We travel to Myrtle and North Myrtle Beach a couple times a year at least and this was our first time at Avista. The hotel was so much better than we expected. We had a 1 bedroom ocean front room on the 12th floor. We had 2 flat screen tvs, a new looking washer/dryer, full kitchen, large garden tub and plenty of closet/drawer space. My 6 yr old and 5 yr old loved it and we did also. The view of the ocean and pools were perfect. When we were in our rooms it was very quiet- never heard anyone on either side of us.
We did not have any problem finding chairs at the pool or a nice spot to sit on the beach.
Joe at the pool bar/restaurant was awesome. Everyone loved him and he enjoys what he does. The food from there was great also and very reasonably priced. I really have no complaints. We will stay here again. Not really sure why we have a reason to stay anywhere else from now on.

Room Tip: We had room 1226- updated, good views and plenty of space. It was a 1 bedroom ocean front.
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments and for remembering Joe! We think he does a great job too and look forward to your staying with us again. I would say ask for a ANS room next time as they a have a great Ocean view from every bedroom and the living room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Portsmouth, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The requirements for a room for us were oceanfront, full kitchen, indoor and outdoor pools, and hot tubs. This resort met all these and more. The kitchen was small but sufficient. There was a separate large bedroom and the bathroom was huge. We had asked for a hotel-owned room to make sure of updates. The TV's were flat screen and there were new washer and dryer, a real plus. The kitchen was fully equipped. We knew from the start that we would have housekeeping only one day of our seven-day stay and that was fine. If we needed more towels we just asked. Our room was on the first floor just off the lobby, right above the pool. I thought this might be a problem, but it was fine. It was also near the elevator. When the sliding door was closed, there was no noise. This room location was perfect for coming and going. The balcony was huge, with a table and six chairs. The only complaint I have is that due to the design of the hotel, you can only see the beach directly in front of you, not up and down the beach. The staff at the desk were always helpful. Another reviewer mentioned a large family causing problems. I believe they checked in the day before we left. There were a lot of people but no one caused us any problems. Avista is a great location for restaurants and shopping. We called to make our reservation to make sure we go the best possible rate.

Room Tip: Know what you need and do research before booking a room. Call the hotel and discuss concerns and r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for all the observations. You did your homework and looks like you really enjoyed yourself. I think you had a 3 bedroom unit so I would say ask for a ANS room next time as they a have a great Ocean view from every bedroom and the living room too. We do hope you come back and visit again soon.
Howard, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was my 5th stay at Avista. Overall the resort is great. It has wonderful views of the ocean, great pool facilities and quick access to the ocean. The condos are clean, the staff is friendly. I've noticed over the years that some changes have been made(improvements).
We will continue to stay at Avista. It's location is great, it's amenities are good and staff is friendly.

I would like to see a bathroom on the ground level (pool area); besides that not much else is desired.

For a family it's a great place to be.

JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for the last 5 times and look forward to the next five times! Yes we are improving, putting flat screens in every room, newer sofas, improved bedding and other furniture upgrades as our owners strive to update their Condo’s. I too wish we could have a ground floor restroom but regulations won’t allow for more than the portable units on the North side of the building. Should they change we will certainly add this needed feature but so far this is not allowed. We do hope you come back and visit again soon
Summerville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I want to start with saying, I am not a snob or rich by any means, but I have and still do love to travel. I have traveled all over the world and actually know what a resort is, and this isn't one by my standards. I was in NMB for a conference, which was at the Ocean Drive Resort, but that place was booked. Now I must say that NMB during our stay was a week where a lot of school kids had just finished school and are living the summer up, however, that is not what was so bad about this place. I will start with, the room was very clean, the AC worked great, but that will be where I am stopping with good scoring. The restaurant, which we ate at for breakfast buffet and dinner once, was OK. the breakfast buffet was typical fast food tasting, the dinner, Prime Rib was ok at best. It just all tasted like banquet food. Now, the servers and staff at "Resort" where very friendly, except for the bartender at pool bar, which closes at 4:30 for some reason, she was nice, but her creeper boyfriend that was there everyday she worked drinking bud light standing at the bar until another "resort" staff came by, gave my fiance' a very weird feeling. Asking her if we all wanted to hang out after his girlfriend got off work. THAT, was Creepy. We stayed Tuesday thru Sat and it was darn near 1000.00 bucks for the room alone.
It is in a pretty good location as far as walking to eat at other places, try OD Pavilion, and of course the beach is beautiful. If you need to go to a grocery store or Bass Pro Shop..;-), they are just a few minutes away by car. This is important if you need something, like a tooth brush, because they have NO store on site and do not have them at front desk. Thought that was odd for a "Resort" to not have some kind of store. One last thing, while at the pool or lazy river, dont drink to much, which isn't hard since pool bar closes at 4:30 pm, because the closest bathroom is a elevator ride or stair trip up from ground floor to floor one. Hate to think what all the kids that where in the pools do. Didn't see many running up steps or to elevator...UGH
Sorry Avista, but just being honest.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your observations. I do appreciate the criticism about the pool bar incident and we have taken the comments seriously and have taken corrective steps. With regard to the bathroom, this is a federal law, and we were not allowed to build one on the ground floor so we have the North Myrtle Beach’s portable option or the one inside the Resort. We too wish there was a real solution to this problem. I also wanted you to be aware that even though we have no convenience store inside the hotel item like tooth brush or paste and portable razors are at the front desk for all our guests. We are also adding flat screen TV’s and granite for most of our units as well as many new sofas and linens to enhance your future stay with us if you would give us another shot I know you will not be disappointed with the Hotel or the Service.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first visit to Avista after it was recommended by a friend. We are a family of four with a 2 year-old and an 8 month-old. We stayed for two weeks but left two days early. Our first week was wonderful. We had a one-bedroom condo which had a well-appointed kitchenette and in-suite laundry, which is great with two little kids. The pools were nice and the beach access was great. The facilities were in good shape, but slightly dated.

The trouble began when a large family came during the second week for a family reunion. Little by little, as it took time for all the families to arrive, the peaceful resort morphed into a frat house, with no apparent action from the resort to stop the disrespectful behaviour. And it was unfortunate that we happened to be roomed right beside one of the families involved in the reunion.

We had prank calls to our room in the evening around 9pm multiple times, people coming to our door pretending to be Room Service at 7:45am. Constant crashing and banging of the door of room right beside us from 8pm-3am (yes, 3am), including yelling and pounding on the door because keys were forgotten. To the point where my 2 year old and 8 month-old were woken multiple times and frightened.

Loud conversations were going on in the hall in front of our door around 11pm. I poked my head out and asked three men what the matter was and told them I had a baby being woken up by their conversation. They proceeded to continue the conversation!

Obscenities were being yelled in the halls and across balconies, constant running in the halls, rude behaviour in the elevators, taking over of the pools with obnoxious jumping, diving and splashing. My 2-year old was splashed to the point of having to leave the pool because one of the teenagers from this family reunion kept splashing her with no preventative action from the adults with this teenager (and I hesitate to call them adults due to their poor judgement and inability to act as adults).

We called the front desk multiple times to complain, and we never saw any security and the awful behaviour continued with no pause, which leads us to believe that our complaints were ignored.

The last three days and two nights of our stay were an absolute nightmare. And it was capped off by a totally unsympathetic, aggravating desk clerk who checked us out. After we relayed all this information to the desk clerk, she had the audacity to state to us "well, this is a family resort." Like we should expect this behaviour and it was our problem, not Avista's! We were dumbfounded at what she had just said to us! We are a family as well and I retorted that families should respect other families trying to enjoy the resort. If the Avista is happy to host that kind of behaviour, then it should advertise that so people know what they are in for. We left so abruptly and two days early, with a 18-hour drive ahead of us, because we could not take it anymore. The desk clerk only served to add to our anger; yes, anger, as we were way above frustration.

We cannot believe a resort which seemed to cater to young families like ours, would go against the very type of family it is wishing to have stay.

The manager did respond via email to us to offer us a $40 refund (very little in light of a two week stay) and 30% off our next stay. With so many resorts to choose from in the North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach areas, why would we go back to a resort that does not respect all of its guests?

While it was really the fault of the families that congregated for this reunion, Avista has a responsibility to ensure that all guests respect each other and it also needs to act quickly and decisively to make sure everyone enjoys their stay.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view and stay on the higher floors. However, very loud resort (the doors to the rooms...
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We moved into this resort after spending one night a another resort in Myrtle Beach. This was definitely a smart move. Room was spacious, clean, modern with comfortable bed, spacious soaking tub and an excellent view of the ocean. Pool areas were extremely clean, well planned and never crowed. The indoor and outdoor lazy rivers kept my 7 year old entertained. Take advantage of renting an umbrella and two beach chairs from the sales stand right outside the hotel for $25 per day. It was worth the money. Restaurant was adequate with basic buffet breakfast 7 days per week. Only a couple complaints--parking garage is poorly designed and difficult to maneuver through and there was no convenient restroom in the pool area. Had to use the gross public beach restrooms or walk past the lobby to use those restrooms. Overall, had a wonderful, peaceful, enjoyable stay at the Avista.

JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write. We too understand the ground floor bathroom issue but our hotel is so new the current regulation would not allow us to build one on the ground floor. I also want to thank you for your observations and help for other guests. We do hope you come up to North Myrtle Beach again and choose the Avista Resort as your families Beach Home!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend at the resort for our 5 year wedding anniversary, and we had a great time!

The resort and the room are both completely unchanged from 2007. The indoor portion of the pool still has that same overpowering pool smell, there aren't enough elevators during rush hours, and navigating the tiny parking deck will STILL be the most stressful part of your vacation (no matter how many crying kids you have with you).

In the rooms, everything remains from the Bush Administration: The art, furniture, and especially the now-outdated appliances (with noticeable touch-up paint)--from the coiled range oven to the fuzzy tube-tv in the bedroom. It is worth noting that everything was in working order--the only "complaint" we could make is that the toilet ran constantly, but that was so quiet we only noticed while we were IN the bathroom.

Taking off the critical glasses, the rooms are clean and very spacious. The kitchens contained everything we needed to cook if we so chose--that hasn't changed at all. Nor has the service--The fine folks I talked to while booking got us the same room we stayed in back in 2007, and adorned the room with rose petals and towel swans! It was a wonderful touch! Oddly enough, outside of the check-in and check-out, that was my only experience with the Avista employees.

Location-wise, you're an easy walk from Main Street and a variety of dining and entertainment options. The beach directly behind the resort was wonderfully deserted and almost romantic at 5pm on a Friday, but was quickly overrun by tents, families, and the obese by Saturday at 10am. This stretched as far as the eye could see--so that isn't the Avista's fault--it's just the beach in South Carolina on a Saturday in June.

The resort is showing its age, but we will probably stay here the next time we visit Myrtle Beach. My wife was thrilled with everything, which is all that matters, but as I gradually descend into life as a bitter old man, I still wished that for the heavy price tag (over $200/night after fees added) we received something a little fresher and more modern. Despite my critical ramblings, I had a great time, and would absolutely recommend the Avista to friends.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are delightful... while you only get to see a sliver of the beach, it's enough...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!