“Not a fan of changes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mar Vista Grande

You added Mar Vista Grande to your Saves list
Mar Vista Grande
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   603 South Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Luxurious condos- $99
Caledonia, New York
“Not a fan of changes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have stayed at Mar Vista for the past 4 years after staying at Crescent Shores and Crescet Keyes. We changed to Mar Vista for the location near Main St and the pools. Nothing here has changed. Still a nice walk to main street. The pools are great, heated in late March and early April and a lot of fun for the kids. Like the wind shield set up around the exposed indoor pool to keep it real warm for smaller kids.

The changes I don't like are about choosing a room. Now it is more like a hotel. You pick a type of room and then they assign you to one. Not all the rooms are the same like in a hotel. We were in 501 and they had a 22 inch TV in the main room, a 19 inch in the main bedroom, a relic in bedroom #2 and then in the rooms 3 and 4 they had computer monitor size tv's mounted to the wall. Why would I complain about TV's on a beach vacation? I am a parent and we bring the kids. They are too young to leave and we don't have a sitter there so at night the adults like to watch sports in the main room or sit on the balcony and enjoy the ocean while kids head to bead and watch a movie. This year the NCAA basketball tournament was on during our stay and sometimes Masters Golf is on. Vacations are different for all people I don't watch a lot at home during work but I do like sports and don't like having to share the TV. Only the main room had a DVD player. In past years I would have been able to choose my room to avoid this. My sister has young twins. They are messy as younger kids are. We have looked for a unit with tile or wood flooring in the main living area in addition to avoiding glass coffee and end tables for them. Not able to do that. The cost. Instead of a set weekly rate it vaties based on when you book and demand so if it takes a week or two to make the decision as you research places the rate for Mar Vista may have changed. I actually was billed two different rates. I did not closely check the second email I got which contained a higher rate, I figured they were just sending check in information. Since I did not have my email and I was there to enjoy vacation I did not argue the rate change but when I got home and looked up the emails I did contact them and we were able to fix the rate. Thank you Mar Vista billing. Would all of this stop me from staying at Mar Vista? Yes and No. I will if I can book through VRBO or one of the rental agencies for sure. I can say that we did take a day and drive up and down Ocean Blvd and check out some of the other properties which I had not done before and if I have to go through the "hotel lottery" system I will seriously check out other properties.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize for the small televisions in your condo, and we are currently working on upgrading some of the units as we speak. We are also sorry for the confusion surrounding your reservation rates and billing--we had some problems with our booking system which have since been corrected. We do hope you will give us another chance to give you the grand experience you deserve.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My family and I stayed in Penthouse 1514 and we loved it. It was our home away from home. We didn’t have to worry about anything because all the comforts of home were right there, i.e., full kitchen, which was well equipped, televisions in every room, wireless internet and much more. The owner’s decorated the condo beautifully, very modern and also very clean. The owner’s also gave us a beautiful gift basket, which was very thoughtful. The view from the balcony was awesome; you can see the beach for miles. The property also has some great amenities with indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub, exercise/weight room and easy access to the beach. On our next trip, we are definitely coming back to Myrtle Beach and staying in Penthouse 1514.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for letting us know you found your home away from home here at the Mar Vista Grand. It is awesome that you have to worry about anything during your stay and that the condo, view from the condo, and amenities were all to your liking. Please do come back to the Mar Vista Grande soon--we would love to have you as our guest again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Don't even need to say much here cause everything was perfect.... Super clean, huge 3bd ocean front room, granite counters and 3 bathrooms!! I can't say enough good things about Mar Vista and the off season rates were amazing! Thanks for the awesome stay and keep up the good work.

Room Tip: The higher the better....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very happy to hear you describe your recent stay at Mar Vista Grande as perfect! It is wonderful that you found the condo to be exceptionally clean and that you got in on an amazing rate. You are very welcome, and we want to thank you for staying with us--we certainly hope to see you at Mar Vista Grande again in the near future!
sharon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really like this place every think the people say about the pool was right it was very hot , The housekeeper was very nice and easy going .I will be back to this place .Staff was very friendly and you need help find thing will help you .The water in my room was hot everything was so nice and clean

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
David D, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We are happy to hear that you really liked your recent stay at the Mar Vista Grande and that you were pleased with the level of cleanliness. We are glad that you found our staff to be easygoing, friendly, and always ready to be of service. We hope to make your next stay just as enjoyable as the first!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

First let me say, I love this place! This will be our 4th time staying at this resort. If your looking for a clean, upscale resort with different room options then this is the place. The pools are kid friendly with easy access to the beach. There is plenty of parking and everything is undercover. The poolside bar, hottubs, security and weightroom are all very good. SO, what's the beware part?

Just this year, the resort is trying something new with regards to booking rooms. You no longer can go to the direct site and "view" the actual room you would like to reserve. Instead, all inquiries/requests are treated as a general category, (ie 3 bedroom or 4 bedroom, oceanfront or ocean view ect). Now you may ask, "What's wrong with this?" I would say nothing is wrong with it, if every room was the same! They are NOT. Most of the units are individually owned. Thus, something as simple as the "size" of the the beds really come into play when you may have several adults staying in the same room. You may prefer a 3 bedroom with a K/K/QNQN combo and instead when you arrive you have a K/QN/TwTw! Oh well, there might be a pull out sofa bed in the livingroom. What about the view? The last 2 years we reserved the 4 bedroom units. These units face North/South oceanview only. No problem. Since the site only now uses STOCK photos, you can not see what kind of view you really have. Let me say this, anything below the "9th floor" looking North will have a really limited view of the ocean and those on the 7th floor and lower looking South will have an outstanding view of neighboring resort. You can almost reach over and share a drink with your new buddy next door.

Understand this, as the trip coordinator, I spent countless hours trying to find the best overall resort for our group. Three plus years ago, I found the Mar Vista. I have stopped looking ever since. I now know the ins and outs of this place - what to ask for and what to avoid. I just think it's quite unfair to a new vistor to be blindsided and misled when they use the direct booking site. When I asked the operator why I can no longer request and view any individual rooms, she responded with, "new site owner" and "it's a BIG mistake".

In conclusion, let me say that I used "vrbo" for the 1st time and booked it through the owner direct. I "somewhat" understand the need to help "all" the unit owners rent their condos, but NOT at my expense. Trust me when I say that the rooms are nice BUT they are NOT all the same. If you need or have a specific request, then you better get it confirmed in writing before executing any agreement.

If your going in June, then you can personally "thank me" for this heads-up. I'll be the one carrying a Corona beer and my wifes Margarita from the poolside bar while chasing my kids around the lazy river.

Room Tip: Anything above the 9th floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
It is great hearing that you love our property so much that you have stayed with us four times! While it is true that we no longer show the pictures of individual condos on our website, guests may put in a request for any specific unit, floor level, bedding configuration, north/south view etc. and we will do our best to honor it. If you decide to book directly through us again, we promise to make your fifth visit to the resort the most outstanding yet!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I can only vouch for the specific condo we stayed in (#912) as each condo is independently owned/managed and so all different. Ours was beautifully decorated and had all brand new funriture and appliances. I don't usually cook on vacations because it's too hard to find all the cooking gear- but we actually stayed in for dinner 3 of our 5 nights there because the place had really nice cooking equipment. Before finding 912, we were shown two other units, which looked kind of ragged. If you havent been here before, def check out the unit you're thinking of renting, or get a rec from a friend, before committing.
The building itself is very nice and up-to-date, with large, clean indoor, outdoor, and kids' pools.

Room Tip: Unit 912 was super nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Very nice rooms. Pleasant decor & tv/dvd in rooms! Perfect space for my family of 7. Kids loved jet tub.Indoor pool facility was great during the cold weather, kids had a great time!
Improvements: bedding thin & not soft. Master shower needs more pressure. Available towels at pool.

• Stayed January 2013
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback for your recent stay at the Mar Vista Grande. We are happy that the condo provided ample space for your family of 7, and that our indoor pool became the ideal spot for recreation even when the weather was chilly outside. Since reading your review, maintenance has addressed the water pressure issue. While we do not provide pool towels, extra towels are available per special request. We hope to see you at the Mar Vista Grande again soon!

Been to Mar Vista Grande? Share your experiences!