“8th Floor Unit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mar Vista Grande

Save Saved
You added Mar Vista Grande to your Saves list
Mar Vista Grande
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   603 South Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
50% in Savings
Charlotte, North Carolina
“8th Floor Unit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed for few days the weekend before New Years. Husband and wife with 2 teenage girls.

We rented a 3 bedroom Ocean View. So the balacony is on the side of the building but with an Ocean View. We arrived before noon but the room was ready so they checked us in and we went to unpack. The 3 bedroom has 3 baths also and a nice kitchen. The room is good sized but could be a little cramped if you had maximum occupancy or more than 1 family as the kitchen / den combination isnt large. The balacony would help a lot in the warmer months but in cold weather it could be an issue. The only negative was the furnishings were dated. First time I have seen an old time (tube) TV in each room. The one in the den had a problem with its signal but was viewable. The beds and bedding were old and creeky.

The property has great anemities with indoor heated pool and jaccuzi and outdoor pools and jacuzzi along with an Excercise / Weight Room. The rate was discounted due to it being off season - less than 175 per night. Good option in the winter but needs updating. One note is the units appear to be furnished by each owner so you could rent the uinit next to ours and get a great newly decorated unit.

Room Tip: Rented through Book It. It you want a nicer room you may need to book through an owner.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your winter nightly stay with us. We are glad you were pleased with the discounted rate, that you were able to get into your room right away, and that you took advantage of our amenities. We apologize that you felt certain things in the condo needed updating. We are currently working on getting flat screens in that particular unit. We hope we see you again soon!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Last minute decision to escape to the beach for New Years Eve. The indoor pool (s) and Hot Tubs were great! The Condo's are HUGE! and fully stocked. Washer & Drier let us come home with no laundry to do! Kitchen is well equiped for cooking most any meal ... even baking! Full applicance ... not kitchenette here! All of the furnishings and floor coverings are in great shape. The hotel was sold out for New Years Eve, but you would not have known it .... very quet. Though others in the pools ... never crowded either. It is my understanding this used to be a "Monthly Only" rental complex and just recently started with weekly rentals... they seem to be transitioning well. We would go back .... very good Family place.

Room Tip: It appears all of the rooms are the same, but individual owners may have added a few items (hair dri...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
It sounds like you you had a grand New Year's Eve here at the Mar Vista Grande! We are so happy you were able to celebrate with us during the holidays. We now offer nightly stays as well for quick getaways. We would be pleased to accomodate you again for whatever length of stay fits your vacation needs!
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed in Suite 912. It was so elegantly decorated - modern, classic, easy care - it was a pleasure to stay there. Everything was new, and well-made so you did not have to worry about damaging something too delicate or worn out. The view from the balcony is awesome - it looks over the beach. A perfect place to have morning coffee and watch beach combers and sea birds. Mrytle Bach offers a lot of great restaurants and shopping if you want a break from the beach. And Mar Vista has an outdoor and indoor pool. Swimming for me is an essential. There is an amazing botanical garden in the Myrtle Beach area (one of my favorite things to do) along with lots of great shopping. And for kids young and old there are a huge number of miniature golf courses - so much fun! A perfect vacation in perfect vacation living quarters. An upscale home away from home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted that you found it a pleasure to stay in one of our well-appointed condos at the Mar Vista Grande. We appreciate the fact that you took advantage of the convenient onsite amenities we have to offer, as well as some of the amazing and fun things to see and do here in the local area. We would love for you to come visit us again soon at your new home away from home!
Wise, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our family of five plus grandmother stayed here in August, 2012 for three nights.

We arrived at 8:30 p.m. to find the front desk is not 24 hour. We also found that the only parking for our van was on the ground floor of the garage. Our key was in a lock box where I had to call to get the combination and we were in our room.

Our room on the 11th floor was beautiful and the view was as advertised. The room was clean and the kitchen was well appointed with the appliances in working order. Televisions were in each room + the living room and DVD players in two of the rooms allowed us to give the kids movies in the evenings.

The pool was very clean and the beach access was convenient with the private walkway.

There is a bar but they are subdued about it. Those who want an alcoholic drink can buy one. However if you do not drink and do not like alcohol, it is highly unlikely that you will be uncomfortable here. You will not find drunks running around and I found it to be family-friendly in every respect. This place does not promote their alcohol. They have it available for those who seek it and if you do not seek it you may not even know it is there.

The wireless internet, once I was able to speak to a human being the next day to get the password, worked well.

The neighborhood for this hotel seems safe enough. There is little traffic near the hotel and the sidewalks allow for walking to the tourist trap stores and very small amusement park about three hundred yards away. I never felt in danger on the sidewalks and noticed a police car most times I walked for over 30 minutes. This community wants to keep a safe reputation.

The fact that we could only park on the ground floor of the parking garage left us afraid to go out past 8 p.m. There were signs saying high top vehicles only but these were often ignored and the ownership is not going to tow someone. If the lower lot was filled in the day, the security guard could call the reception and the reception would try to call the folks and have them move their cars. After 8 p.m., if the lower lot were to be full, the person with a high top would be without options. We always had a space but we also were afraid to be out to see any attractions after 8 p.m.

I only found out when we were checking out that there were garbage chutes on each floor. My ignorance left me expecting someone to come change out the trash each day. They did all but one day. I saw the housekeeper as I was getting into the elevator and asked why they did not come. He explained that they were busy and he was already in trouble for staying 20 minutes too late. He said he could be fired for getting overtime. I called the front desk the next day and they confirmed what he told me.

So let me get this straight; I pay over $450 per night and the hotel cannot supply a 24 hour front desk and cannot let the housekeeping staff stay late to service their customers?

The towels were not changed out either the day they would not come to our room. We just put them in the washer that was supplied in each room (nice) and washed and dried them for the next day. No big deal in the grand scheme of things but annoying considering what was paid for the room.

The refrigerator was a tree-hugger's dream. It took over 12 hours to get items really cold. There was a tray in the bottom that would "express chill" items. It saved energy I guess but I am one of those evil people who wants an appliance that works quickly and does what I need. As our country moves more in the direction of Marxism and the environazis seize more power, I will find myself more marginalized in my wish to have items that actually cool and heat properly. Yet until they take me to a back alley and put a bullet in my head, I will complain about these things when I encounter them.

We found out the checkout time was 10 a.m. when we left. We ended up leaving at 11:45 and they did not try to charge us for our ignorance.

Will I stay here again? Yes but only if I do not find something I believe to be better. This property did not communicate well (see my garbage chute, internet and check-out comments above). Something in writing would clear up a lot of the misunderstandings.

I do not dislike the place. I just find it to be a place where they charge 4-star prices for 2-star quality.

I also wish they would at least have a breakfast buffet for the guests. It seems to me that a restaurant would be convenient for the guests and give them another revenue stream.

Seeing as how they do not have a 24-hour desk and will not let housekeeping stay to serve the customers, they seem to need more profits. Either they are leveraged to their eyeballs and are barely making it or they are greedy. Just a few improvements could make this a "5" instead of the "3" that I give it right now.

Room Tip: Pay the relative extra for a beachfront room. It is a minor amount for a great view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RESPONSE: Thank you for providing detailed feedback for your recent stay with us. We are happy hearing you describe your room as beautiful, clean, and just as advertised, and we are pleased that you found the resort itself as family-friendly in every respect. We apologize for the confusion about garbage chute locations, internet, and check out procedures. An information sheet is provided at check-in describing these procedures. Trash and towel service is provided daily. If a Do Not Disturb sign is placed on the door, service will not be provided. We are currently addressing the communication problems you cited on all department levels to ensure we are providing the highest level of communication. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to earn that 5 rating from you, and we promise to give you the grand experience you deserve!
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I travel to the beach all the time. Either, for shopping,nightlife or just to get away. We have stayed in alot of different resorts. All were missing something, whether it was noisy,decor or just customer service wasnt up to par. We were begining to think, no matter where you stayed it wasnt going to be perfect. Man! We were wrong! This place is perfect! I tried to find some thing wrong and I couldnt. From the decor to the service was top notch! They really care about you and your business. We will definitely stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Oceanfront!Oceanfront!Oceanfront! These are the best rooms anywhere.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We are elated that your search for the perfect accomodations is finally over after finding our Mar Vista Grande resort. It is great hearing that your stay with us was top notch on every level, as that is what we strive for on a daily basis. We welcome you back any time, and we promise to make each visit just as good if not better than the last.
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am a North Myrtle Beach resident, living about 20 blocks from the Mar Vista Grande. During the 2012 Christmas season, I rented a 3-bedroom ocean front condo at the Mar Vista Grande so that my family from the cold northeast and I could have a little vacation within a vacation. Rooms were immaculately clean, beautifully decorated and fully stocked with matching glasses, plates, silverware, etc. the grand kids (7 and 10) loved the indoor pool and the adults enjoyed sitting on the nice-sized balcony enjoying the beautiful view. Everyone we came in contact with who worked there were extremely nice and helpful. My son is not easily pleased and he was totally impressed with the condo and will recommend the Mar Vista Grande to his friends back home. Price was extremely good too. It's one of the nicest resorts on the beach, I think, and I will certainly go there again to enjoy ocean front living in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Look online at the decor so you can choose the type you want as all condos are decorated differently...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It is wonderful hearing that that as a native resident of the North Myrtle Beach area, you found a vacation destination just minutes away with the Mar Vista Grande. We are so happy that your entire family, even those harder to please members, were impressed with our accomodations and amenities. We would love for you to come back and visit us any time for another oceanfront getaway!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Sophisticated, gorgeous, directly oceanfront! From Jenn-Air appliances to exotic granites to Bernhardt furniture to state-of-the-art electronics – every single detail of suite 912 is lush and stylish.

This three-bedroom, three-bath home-away-from home provided ample room for my husband and me as well as my two daughters, their spouses and all the kids for a superbly relaxing week.

I’m an interior designer and my husband’s an architect, so we know quality. This swanky oasis had everything we wanted – and more, including its own name: Lucky Dogs. And, after a week immersed in luxury, that’s exactly how we felt – like lucky dogs!

Room Tip: Although Mar Vista Grande is only 7 years old, Suite 912 was recently renovated with cutting-edge ap...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We are very happy that as an interior designer/architect, you recognized the quality of the unit you rented at Mar Vista Grande. We work to ensure that each and every unit is beautifully furnished and with the guest's comfort in mind. We so pleased you felt like "lucky dogs" while staying at our luxury resort, and we invite you to visit us again soon!

Been to Mar Vista Grande? Share your experiences!