“Good food, excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We visited only once during out holiday. It was nice to eat at a restaurant rather than a chain. The staff were welcoming and attentive, and helpful when explaining the menu. The wine list was good, we all ate the specials - grouper or salmon - and found the food to be delicious, without being over faced. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great, buzzing, without being crammed in like sardines and with great views across the marshland. Reservations recommended at the weekend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Classically done.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This restaurant on the outside is simple and quaint. I was impressed with the menu. It contained many classic entrees offerings;Veal Marsala, Chicken Oscar, Shrimp Louis, etc.. I had a special. Panko Encrusted Grouper with Grand Marnier sauce it was very nice. Housemade desserts,an extra effort for a chef to do these days. Little pricy but still a good choice while in North Myrtle Beach. Service was knowledgeable and attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Return visit not all that”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We are "local tourists" - those who have property and visit often. This is one of our "go to" restaurants and I was SO disappointed with our meal on Saturday. Martinis were diluted, seafood special included raw scallops, prime rib bled all over the plate, vegetables overcooked and limp on the plate. I won't throw in the towel yet because I love this place but it was an OFF night and expensive. Service was fine, not great - I think he even knew it was an off night.

Visited May 2014
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Great all around! Friendly service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

You can not come to the beach and not have seafood. I am a local but still enjoy coming to Joe's Crab Shack on both Broadway at the Beach location as well as on Barefoot. Both times, I've had extremely good service and the food was great either way. The most recent time, I went to the one on Barefoot Landing. I had the lobster nachos that our waitress recommended and they were amazing! As the main entree, my friends and I shared two steampots which were amazing! (We had the Classic Steampots. A little high priced but one is enough for two people) Our waitress was extremely nice and she and another waiter took pictures with us. Will be coming back soon I hope!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Bad experience with service before even ordering drinks!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My friend and I visited Joe's Bar & Grill on Friday May 16, 2014 around 7:30pm to celebrate my birthday. I was skeptical because of some of the reviews I've read.
We walked in, the place was busy. The hostess offered us a table near the bar - upon walking to the table I pointed out that it was next to the window and said to my friend "this could be the best table in the joint" as it overlooked the marsh!

We went to sit down and the hostess said that she'd be back to wipe down the table, the dishes were cleared but the table had crumbs and water spots on it. She returned with a stack of bar napkins and she used those to wipe down the table. That should have been a sign! We decided to sit anyways.
We sat and sat...all of a sudden a plate of cheese and crackers were placed on the table. The guy who sat it down said nothing to us - we were both surprised at that. I have a few food allergies so I was not about to touch it until I knew what it was, it appeared to be cream cheese mixed with something and crackers. Not sure what it was! The waiter then proceeded to take the orders from two other tables and walked by our table and said "I'll be back."

At that point, I decided that this is my birthday and I deserve a little bit better service so we decided to leave. The bartender, Jeanine, came from behind the bar and asked us if there was a problem. We explained to her what we experienced and she said she understood and hoped that there wasn't an "incident tonight as it was going so well so far." At this point the waiter walked over and asked what the problem was and when I explained what happened he responded with "I told you I'd return to take your order, the other table had been waiting for over 30 minutes for me to take their order." I reminded him that he set food on the table and walked away to deal with two other tables prior to even speaking to us and that his response to us was not friendly.
Jeanine was holding on to my arm at this point and I did not appreciate that, we went to leave and she followed us out offering us a free drink and good service if we sit at the bar. I informed her that I did not have an interest to eat dinner at the bar as it is my birthday and all I wanted was decent service and good food. I mentioned the TA reviews I had read and let her know I would write one as well. She was still pulling my arm to come inside - offering me a coupon to return another day which I declined as we were leaving town the next day. She was pulling my arm again trying to get me to go back into the building and I told her that I really just wanted to leave with my friend and she offered us a free meal if we sat at the bar, it would be on her. I informed her that my friend is pregnant and we had no interest in eating at Joe's and that I appreciated her letting my arm go. She finally did let it go and we left and went to 21 Main for dinner. As we sat down, I realized my brand new bracelet was missing off the arm that Jeanine was holding - we retraced our steps after dinner and never found the bracelet and I left my name and number with Jeanine at the bar in case it was turned in.

I cannot tell you how the food was at this place and I'm a bit disappointed in that because the menu looked pretty good online. I will return to Myrtle Beach as I do every year but I doubt I'll have any interest in returning to this restaurant. If you go, enjoy and I hope you get to experience something different than what I did!