“The good, the bad, and the tampon.” 4 of 5 stars

Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 South Ocean Blvd, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 7 Nights, Pay for 4!
Lexington, Kentucky
“The good, the bad, and the tampon.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

First, I want to be clear in that the negative part of our experience here really was not the fault of the hotel. It was a rollercoaster of a day, though. We had spent the previous week in North Myrtle Beach at a rental house. On our last day, we decided we really didn't want to go home yet, and set off to find a hotel room for one night. Two hours later, after a trip all through North Myrtle and Myrtle Beach proper, as well as an internet search of the coast, and many phone calls, we realized finding a hotel room in the third week of July was basically impossible. We called Bay Watch, who told us that they had no available rooms. My husband asked the lady, Paula or Pauline, to please call him if they had any cancellation, and we didn't really expect anything to come of it. Ten minutes later, she called us to let us know they had one room come available. Not only that, but she held the room for us for over an hour until we could get there through the traffic.
We showed up at the Hotel at 12 pm, well before check in, but they let us go ahead and have our keys anyway. In the unloading zone, we were assisted by the most awesome, energetic bellman ever. David was so polite, efficient, and helpful. We got to our room, and being that it was well before the 4 pm check in time, we realized that housekeeping had not made it there yet. Side note: People are nasty! There was vomit in the sink and a tampon on the chair! My kids have not yet shut up about the tampon room. Dabid helped us load our luggage into the closet, and advised us to go out to eat and he would have it cleaned immediately. When we got back, housekeeping was just finishing up in our room. We looked at the closet and our luggage was gone! I had a mini panic attack, and called the front desk, to be notified that they had moved us to a better room but couldn't get ahold of us to tell us. David had come in and moved all of our luggage to another room on another floor. It was clean, and lovely.
The rest of our stay was great. The kids loved all the pools, but we did not get a chance to check out any of the bars, restaurants, or activities. All in all, I would recommend this hotel. The staff was incredibly nice, went out of their way to help us at every turn, and the hotel is clean and well maintained.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
OceanaResorts, General Manager at Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center. We sincerely apologize for the experience. It is not our policy to check guests in or even give out room numbers before rooms are correctly prepared for our guests. We regret that this occurred. However, we're happy to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. We do hope you'll visit with us again in the near future, allowing us to provide you with a better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Paulsboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We rented through a Realtor not directly with the resort and regretted it from day one.
The Bay Watch is an excellent resort ! The pools are nice, the restaurants are good & the front desk staff are friendly(even though they couldn't help us).
The parking garage is easy to get in and out of. I recommend parking in the reservation parking spots to unload when you arrive, then park. The bell hops control the carts and they are quick ! In some resorts you can take a cart which is nice. The down side is some people keep the carts in their rooms and don't return them promptly.
The elevators are very quick !! We were on the 17th floor and never waited more than 20 seconds for an elevator.Most times you pushed up or down and an elevator door opened,this is very rare in resorts !!
The gym is an after thought & needs some TLC !!
The beach and pool are lit up all night with the help of huge roof top flood lights, awesome in my opinion. Families sat on the beach until midnight enjoying themselves, people were swimming or sitting in the hot tub late at night without incident. Great security staff always present in the evening around the pools & pool bar.
Surf fishing in the early hours before 8 am and early evening after 6 pm(assisted by the roof top lighting system ) was great family fun! We didn't catch a thing as we aren't very good fisherman. :(
We will stay at the Bay Watch in the future. We will use the hotel website and pay a little more than going through a realtor , so we have access to front desk services.Getting an answer, even if it isn't what you want to hear is so much better than waiting for days for help.
If you rent through a private owner/ realtor , you do have to wait for help.

Lastly, we had key less entry on the door to our condo & it was awesome !! We were told that all rooms were heading in this direction, hope so ! Never having to worry about demagnetizing your card, forgetting it or worst of all paying for a lost card ruins your fun !
We were in tower 2 , the middle main tower, our ocean front balcony was breath taking, our ocean view(bedroom) balcony had a view of tower 1, look at my tip below & have a great stay !

Room Tip: when reserving a room ask for a room in tower 3 on side with no tower obstruction...the view looks a...
Paulsboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was our 6th trip to Myrtle Beach, but our first experience using a Realtor. While searching the internet for a reasonably priced ocean front location we found Baywatch. We had always booked directly through the hotel on previous stays so it wasn't until we called that we found out this was a rental through Elliiot. At that time we did not know there was a difference in renting from an offsite Realtor verses renting directly through the hotel. The biggest difference was that it was cheaper to use a Realtor. So we booked through Elliot. We dealt with the Elliot office in Crescent Beach. (1401 US 17 hwy). I mention this only because they have several locations. Our first surprise came when we received the contract stating we may not get into our room until 7:00PM and that toilet paper and all paper products are not included. When we finally arrived in N. Myrtle Beach after a 12 hour drive in pouring rain we came upon the above address...it was a Fireworks store. After going in and inquiring about the address the woman there said we were the third person that day that she had to redirect. Apparently there are three of the same address..YOU NEED TO PUT THE ZIP CODE IN YOUR GPS to get to the correct location. Elliot should make you aware of this,since most people aren't familiar with the area and my GPS doesn't require a zip code. We arrived approx. 5:30 pm and we were told the room wasn't ready but would be ready shortly, they took our cell number and said they would text us when the room was ready. By 8:00 we didn't receive our text and went to the room anyway. When we arrived we were certain the room had not been cleaned. Why you ask? because there was a dried "Swedish fish" and large spills in and outside the refrigerator. Coffee grinds still in the coffee pot. Spilled coffee stains down the cabinets. Large hairballs and soap scum in the bath tub. Dirty Q-tip inside one of the drawers in the bedroom. Broken handle on the bureau drawer ( with handle and screws in the drawer).And a large bag of towels and linens on the bed. There were also seven large pictures piled in the master bedroom. (see attached pictures)The unit appeared freshly painted and the pictures were not hung back up. We immediately called Elliot and spoke with Gwen. Gwen was very nice, and apologetic about this and agreed to send someone out in the morning to clean again and hang the pictures. We asked about the bedspreads on the beds, since they were on the beds and not in the linen bag. She informed us that they are not washed between guest, they are laundered approximately 1x a month...ewww. We removed them immediately. She suggested using the blankets, however there were no blankets She also reminded us that we got a great deal on the price.As nice as she was we did not need to hear that,and just for the record we paid $1700.00 with taxes. Fortunately we found some cleaning supplies left by the previous renters and cleaned the most disgusting stuff up right away. The next day a cleaning crew came out, unannounced , while we were out. (our teenage boys were sleeping when they came) When we got back it did not appear they did anything. the hairballs and soap scum remained. The floors remained filthy. We called Elliot again. by this time we discovered the floor in the bedroom closet was soaked. So we called to notify them of that and report the poor cleaning again.They said they would send out another crew. The third crew arrived the next day, my son came to the beach to inform us they were there. My husband went up to point out to them exactly what we were unhappy with. They were excellent, and disgusted, with the previous cleaning as well. They too were apologetic. throughout the week we would come home and find maintenance issues being taken care of, someone hanging the pictures, someone looking at the water. However the water problem was ongoing. They set up a fan to dry the area, then pulled the carpet up and left the fan. The closet did start to smell musty and of course we couldnt use it. We found two water bugs in the room as well. You can't tell the front desk of an issues because if you are an "Elliot property" they won't deal with you. If its after nine, you can't reach Elliot. Overall I will say that Elliot did address our concerns, and even reimbursed us $100.00. It was just aggravating that we had to call so many times, especially for the cleaning issues. They never suggest calling you back, you always have to call them. The unit itself was a nice layout with a great view. The kitchen was stocked well with dishes, and utensils. The TV remote didn't work in the living room. (We called about that too) they gave us new batteries and programming instructions but it still didn't work. ( Minor inconvenience) The pools are very clean and the hotel has lights on the beach at night which is awesome. I want to emphasize that I realize things happen with rental units that are out of any ones control. Our biggest complaint was the lack of cleaning. It is much easier to deal with these issues if you go directly through the hotel. There is always someone at the front desk and if things cant be fixed they will move you to another unit. Its worth the extra money. I probably WILL NOT go through a realtor again but I do feel that Elliot made an effort to address our concerns. I would suggest that they have a pre- check in "check list" that should be looked at by a supervisor, prior to your arrival. That way things could be addressed before the vacationing tenant arrives. In addition,our unit was one of the few with a keyless entry system. This was the BEST. No more lost keys, or waiting for someone to return with a key. I would also like to say that Linda, Nicole, Gwen, Phil and Amy (girl on the third cleaning crew), were ALWAYS courteous, and as helpful as possible.Unfortunately it became exhausting having to call so frequently....much easier to book through the hotel or find out if your realtor has a representative on site.

Room Tip: Unit 1711 has keyless entry...very convenient. Also appears freshly painted and has three flat scree...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ElliottRealty, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
jerzeezgirl4ever,

We apologize that a response to your review was not posted sooner. We thank you for taking time to share your review with the online community. We thank you for the generous 4/5 rating and we apologize for the concerns that may have lessened your enjoyment of your vacation. We work with each of our homeowners to ensure that their condos are up to date, clean and ready for rental. We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to provide you with the quality accommodations that you can come to know and expect from Elliott Beach Rentals.

Hilary Johnson
Guest Relations Manager
Pigeon Forge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The rooms could use some serious updating. Internet connection are rather haphazard. The pillows are rags. We had to go out and buy some. Having said all this, we've stayed here three times. The staff is super friendly and will go out of their way to be helpful. There is a restaurant and indoor and outdoor bars. There is nightly entertainment by one of the pools. Lots of families come here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Overall my family's stay was pretty great. The only complaint we have is the lack of hotel staff at the pool. I'm all for kids having a good time but they were out of control running around the pool area knocking into people, playing tag in the lazy river, hitting people in the face with footballs, etc. It made it hard to relax . We went there 2 years ago and there was a guy working outside keeping things under control. We were disappointed he was there this year.

• Stayed July 2013
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was a bit weary when this hotel was booked. I ended up at Bay Watch after Wyndham selected this hotel for me to stay at, while excited to be on the ocean front as such a decent price, I couldn't help but be anxious about what I was in for with this hotel.Prime Location. Close to 1of the Tanger Outlets, Walmart, supermarket...all within a reasonable driving distance. The bellhops were patiently waiting arrivals of patrons-they were readily available. I just didn't like that I HAD to use the bellhop if I wanted to use the cart. Check-in was fine, the agents weren't overly excited, but my agent was nice enough to give me an extra parking pass-for which I was very grateful since my mother was coming in a separate car. This must be unacceptable, because another agent was angry that she had done that for me. Kind of silly...especially if these units hold 8 people, surely all 8 aren't traveling in 1 car.

Parking: At first I thought it was inconvenient, but my husband thought it was prime. Free parking with the garage a few feet away-you can't beat that (according to my husband). I just thought it was inconvenient because if you're bringing in groceries, you have to walk from the garage to the hotel since there isn't an adjoining walk-way from the garage to the hotel. Other than that, it's free and convenient enough. And lik any garage- be careful when driving in them-be sure to use the mirrors that are installed in the garage.

Pools: There are plenty of pools, 7+ (1ft-5ft) for patrons to use. My kids ages 2-5, really enjoyed the pools during our 3 night stay-they couldn't get enough of them! They were clean and well-kept.

I'll be honest, approaching my room, I felt weird....the carpet in the outdoor exterior was old-it didn't smell, but it was old and very worn.

The room had the same carpet- navy blue, old, and worn. The room's carpet and definitely the furniture could stand an upgrade- especially the couch and chair!!! I was scared to sit down. The bathroom was clean upon our arrival as well as the kitchen and other components. The kitchen appliances worked fine. The mattresses on the bed as well as the linen definitely need to be upgraded. The blankets had holes and were very "used." So you might want to bring your own. Oh and if you're in a room that sleeps 8, it doesn't mean it will seat 8!

Hotel Bar: Enjoyed the nightly music until 11pm, but the service at the Fishtails Bar was horrible. My husband and I sat at the bar for about 10 minutes before we were ever approached to order. We left the tab open and anyone that knows service, knows that you make sure you service the open tab customers well. Good service = more drinks= more money= more tips. Obviously, she didn't understand this concept at all, which is why we only got 2 drinks that night, she was tipped, but she shouldn't have been tipped as nicely as we did.

Blue Room= Our last night at the hotel, we ordered from one of the restaurants. Service was prompt. My daughter had the pizza which she said was good, but she's 5-what does she know!? I had the Grilled Jerk Chicken Sandwich which was HEAVILY seasoned with as seasoning that did not taste like Jerk at all. And my husband had a burger which he said was pretty tasty. Overall- try the Blue Room.

After our 1st night I was more at ease...the room was convenient to the beach, clean and affordable with great morning views of the ocean since all rooms are oceanfront.

Middletown, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

North Myrtle Beach is spectacular and the location of this hotel is convenient to shopping, dining, and fun things to do in addition to swimming in the pools and at the beach. We booked a one-bedroom ocean view room and it was very nice. We had two queen beds, a sofa bed, a murphy bed, a balcony, and a kitchen. The room was clean and just what we were looking for, but the halls, elevators and common areas were a bit on the dirty side - dirty glass doors and sand everywhere.
We had some trouble finding the place because the MapQuest directions I printed and my GPS both directed me to Myrtle Beach, not North Myrtle Beach when I typed in the name of the hotel. Apparently this happens all the time and at the hotel it directed me to, guest services gave me a pre-printed set of directions to Bay Watch. I already know you can't just trust your GPS; I guess now I'll have to check my GPS and MapQuest against another site before I leave home.
We also had trouble with our room keys. In the three days we were there we had to go to the desk four times because our room keys did not work. When your room is on the 14th floor that becomes a bit of a hassle.
What about those pools? When you look at photos of the hotel you can see the beautiful pools, but what you can't see is that the chairs are all taken by beach towels. Some chairs had people in them, but most just had beach towels. There is a policy and it is duly noted with ample signage stating that chairs may not be reserved and after 30 minutes your items will be removed so someone else can use the chair, but I guess that's just a warning. I watched from my room on the second and third days there and saw a parade of people go down and put towels on five or six chairs in a row and then leave. We stayed at the hotel for three days and the only place we could find two chairs was at the indoor pool. It was really a disappointment that we absolutely could not sit at the pool. The beach is right there, so on the third day we rented an umbrella and two chairs for $25 and avoided the frustration.
At night there is live entertainment, a guy on a guitar one night, DJs the other two nights. We were there the week after 4th of July and some guests put on a fireworks show. It was nice.
Happy Hour at the two bars offers half-price snacks which could serve as dinner if you want to save a few bucks. They had personal pizzas, mozzarella sticks, fries, onion rings, and more, all for $3 each. Other than during Happy Hour, we did not eat at hotel because there are so many great restaurants nearby. We ate at Martini's Continental Dining and Piano Bar and the food was delicious, but this is really expensive. We used a restaurant.com discount and thoroughly enjoyed this meal which we otherwise really could not afford. We also ate at Molly Darcy's on the Beach where the food was tasty, and sitting right on the beach was perfect. We used another restaurant.com and went to Nick's New York Pub and Grill and we were all delighted. This place has bout 20 different heroes on the menu and the ones we ordered were outstanding. If I return to North Myrtle Beach I will eat there every day!
Overall, we enjoyed ourselves. Would I return to Bay Watch? No. I did not need the kitchen and the pools in the pictures are the reason I booked this hotel, but we could not enjoy them. It may be the same everywhere, and I don't really know how the hotel can fix this problem. Maybe there are just too many people, or too many selfish people. In any case, next time I'll try a different place, maybe smaller is better for me.

Room Tip: Ocean view is beautiful! I saw people on their balconies on the lower floors and it seems they had...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!