“Pleasant stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Colbert, Georgia
“Pleasant stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Although the hotel is not in a great part of town, we have been very satisfied with the service. When we first arrived, the tv didn't get any channels. They promptly moved us to another room and gave us a discount for having to move. The staff at the desk have been helpful with directions and even printing them out for us. Georgie is the lady that met us every morning when we went to breakfast. Very nice. She is on top of her job and keeps it spotless. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you noticed the caring and helpfulness of our staff. I apologize for your TV issue as Comcast Cable just recently installed cable boxes on all hotel TV's in Charleston. This has caused sporadic issues like the one you encountered. Thank you for singling out Georgie and I will share your comments with her. Please come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We arrived Memorial Day weekend. All hotels were booked or we'd have left. The a/c wasn't on & when we turned it on, it was loud & took 36 hrs to cool the room. There was a roach trap taped inside the TV cabinet & I looked for bedbugs, but there was not any. The phone didn't work part of the time & the front desk didn't give correct info on breakfast room time. I gave our maid $5 tip & she stiffed us on extra towels & left no toiletries. This part of North Charleston has a lot of crime, & sirens blasting frequently. In fact, there was an incident across the street our first night there. I was not privy to this info prior to booking. On Monday morning as we were leaving, there was a woman begging money from the guests. This review is true & we are seasoned military travelers. Very disappointing for a Choice brand hotel!

Room Tip: Sorry, but I cannot recommend staying here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
I am sorry you did not feel comfortable during your stay at our hotel. While the area we are located near is blue collar, it is not rough. Rather, we are located right on the corner of the Interstate. It is "easy on, easy off" and guests do not drive through rough areas to get to us. Also, we have a 16 camera security system with monitors at the front desk and by the elevators to insure security. There is an EMS station down the street and those may be the sirens you heard. We utilize a professional hotel pest elimination company to ensure you are comfortable during your stay, and they use traps as well as many other efforts to keep our hotel pest free. Again, I apologize that you were not satisfied, but I truly hope you will give our hotel another try, especially after the renovation we are currently undergoing.
Madison, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed here on Memorial Day and while it was conveniently located the hotel was dated. the room had a bit of a musty/smokey odor even though it was non smoking. The night before I had stayed in a lesser rater Choice hotel, Quality Innn North, which was an older motel with exterior doors. It was $10 less per night and had better closer amenities. Both rooms were furnished and cleaned about the same.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our Clarion Inn and Suites. I am truly disappointed that you found the hotel to be dated, but we are responding to that comment right now. The hotel is under new ownership and is currently undergoing renovation. This is not a construction renovation, but a paint, soft goods and upgrade renovation. So, it is not loud or dirty during construction, but the hotel is in the process of becomming fresher and less dated. Already the exterior has a new look, new landscaping is on the way and rooms are being painted and deep cleaned. The lobby is being re-freshed and shortly there will be new TV's in the rooms. Again, I am sory you found our hotel dated, but please come see us again as you will not make that comment next time.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Tammy answered the phone when I called and she was very polite and professional. When we arrived Tammy greeted us with a smile and was very helpful. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel has obviously been renovated but it is clean and comfortable and a good location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Land O Lakes, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

All the help was very friendly and helpful, especially Georgie at breakfast Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
kellysills, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you. I will share these comments with the staff. Georgie is new to our family and was so delighted to see your review mention her name. We hope you will stay with us again soon.
Garland, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

There were a lot of little things wrong here, enough to make me regret my choice.

The clock radio ran fast. Unbelievable. It updated an hour every 50 minutes. We stayed there two days and I reset the clock several times. I finally unplugged it. Reported to the front desk, no fix.

Telephone had a dial tone. Dialing did nothing and there were no dialing instructions. Reported to the front desk, no fix.

The desk chair rollers did not roll, making it hard to move around. Reported to the front desk, no fix.

Toilet had a leak and refilled with water every 20 minutes or so. Loudly, I might add.

Analog TV. At least an analog TV shows an analog picture better than a digital TV.

Hair dryer did not work. When my wife complained, a staff member took her to a 'secret' room off a stairwell on the seventh floor and let her dry her hair there. Turned out the bathroom electrical outlet did not work.

Dining room too small.

Slow wifi. It went out five times. The front desk reset the router each time & it worked for a while.

Why did I choose this location? To get the free transportation to/from the cruise terminal. It was a good service, well run by a helpful driver. But would I stay here again? No.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
kellysills, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
I’m sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is disappointing that my staff did not deal with your concerns with a sense of urgency. We will be meeting to discuss this. Please know that since your stay our WIFI equipment has been upgraded and we have not had any complaints. I shared this review with our front desk staff and one representative remembered assisting your wife with the hair dryer. We have addressed the desk chair, the bathroom outlets, and replaced the clock radio in the room that you were in. I once again thank you for the review because it helps us improve our skills and in turn improve the experience of our guests.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.. The rooms weren't 100% perfect, but are much better than expected for the money.. I read some of the past reviews, and it appears that the staff have addressed many of the problems listed.. The beds were very comfortable and clean.. Large tubs in the room.. We had a couple of issues with a room, and the staff handled the problems immediately with a smile on their face.. Front desk attendants were excited to help us find something to do in town and were a wealth of knowledge.. The area isn't too great, and I can see how it would make someone feel uncomfortable, but personally, we didn't feel like we were in any danger.. I can see how the trains going by might bother someone if they're trying to sleep and not used to them.. (I'm from a train town, so they made it feel more like home to me) The drive downtown wasn't bad at all.. less than ten minutes without traffic.. The hotel is halfway between downtown, and the outlet mall and retail stores further up I-26 so we were happy with the location.. I may only be so happy with this hotel because we had just finished with a terrible experience up in Columbia, but I'd gladly stay here again.. Keep up the good work

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
kellysills, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We aim to represent that our hotel provides clean rooms with a good breakfast and a staff that genuinely cares and appreciates all of our guests. I am so pleased that you were able to experience that and to share it with others.

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!