“Poor sound makes for a poor experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of H.L. Hunley Submarine

H.L. Hunley Submarine
1250 Supply Street, Building 255, Warren Lasch Conservation Center, North Charleston, SC 29405
877 448 6539
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Military Museums, Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Brandon, Florida
“Poor sound makes for a poor experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are going to have a tour guide, then by all means make it so everyone can hear. I did not understand a word. It was lousy. The tour guide warned of the poor acoustics and he was right. Once the tour started, I didn't hear a thing. Why have a tour if the paying customers can't hear? They need to fix the problem before charging money.

The museum was interesting, but overpriced. Not a place for handicapped people, only access is by stairs.

The road to the museum was terrible, with a poor location.

I would not recommend visiting this place. Buy a book or watch a DVD about it.

Palmyra
34 attraction reviews
“A Weekend Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very interesting exhibits, informative video and great guide. Then you see the submarine. Amazing. Keep in mind two things: only open on weekends (and I had trouble with the telephone ticket reservation system) and your GPS system may try to take you on a mad tour of the whole area. Get to the main road into the shipyard along the waterfront, turn right and go down to the sign for the Hunley Submarine.

Visited February 2013
US
21 attraction reviews
“A MUST for any Civil War Enthusiasts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well... I don’t want to berate folks as per their experiences but with all respect - I do not believe this attraction warrants a 1-star reviews only because someone showed up late for the LAST tour of the day and couldn't get in or because "the place was hard to find" (in THIS day & age - with Google directions and GPS that is practically inexcusable)
I had NO PROBLEM finding the place punching the address into my GPS unit. My wife and I drove up to the Lab (yes it IS a functional LABORATORY not a "museum" per se!) on a Saturday morning shortly before the place opened up. yes the overall area looked a bit rundown but we didn't feel that our lives were in any danger and there is a parking lot right by the place (and again to be fair - I've been in places a lot worse than THAT; sometimes when you are on the quest for historical attractions - that’s what happens)
We had, perhaps a 10-15 mins wait and afterwards got in with no problems after paying the entry fee (about $12.00 I think)
The volunteer guide took us up on the platform to see the sub (we could not believe how small it was) and we spent may be 20-25 mins up there. Yes there are no chairs available - deal with it!
Afterwards we went down and saw all the other exhibits arranged on the 1st floor incl. the famous $20.00-gold piece that saved Lt. Dixon's life at Sharpsburg. Educational experience abound and we even got to play as we sat in the life size model from the TNT movie "The Hunley" (see my avatar picture).
There are various souvenirs and clothing articles for sale if one is interested.
If you are a Civil War NUT, like I am - it’s a MUST! if you are a faithful CW scholar - you can't go wrong... I mean you are looking at THE HUNLEY for crying out loud!!! Everyone else have to make their own decisions but as with many other attractions, my humble suggestion is do your "homework" before hands and decide it this one is for you and what are you planning to get out of the experience.
All in all - it was worth the time, money and effort for us.
P.S. Those who suggested to skip the place and see the "full size replica model" in front of the Visitor's Center on Meeting St in Charleston instead - I guess the same mentality will compel one to go to EPCOT or Vegas to claim that one "saw the Eiffel Tower" or "been to Venice". NOT!!! :)

Visited August 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
“History unfolds before you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited the Hunley research center 2 years ago and were amazed how much more they have discovered. Viewing the submarine and hearing from the historical volunteers was like watching a documentary in the making. Allow about an hour. The facility is a big hanger-like warehouse. Someday soon they will be in a home where the exhibits can be displayed better but for now it is fine. Reservations are needed. My husband and I also traveled to the nearby cemetery where the Hunley crews are all buried along with other Civil War area soldiers. It was really cool to see and is only a very short drive away. This exhibit for the Hunley is only open on weekends so make sure you plan.

Tallassee, Alabama
15 attraction reviews
“Very interesting and moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our guide was very knowledgeable but it was tiring standing the entire time. Would have been nice to be able to sit down for that part of the tour.
Loved the interactive parts of the museum. They had the best gift shop of all the places we went.
We joined the Friends of the Hunley group and can't wait to go back for a members only tour.
We stayed for 2 hours but could have stayed much longer.
It's an amazing thing to see.