“Good, Practical Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 58 hotels in North Charleston
Columbia
“Good, Practical Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was my first stay at a Candlewood Suites, a chain I never heard of until business called me to Charleston the weekend of a golf tournament that drove up the prices or sold out my usual hotel spots. Another reason I booked this hotel was because it is pet friendly. Since I was traveling alone, I wanted to bring my miniature schnauzer along. During my 3 night stay I saw several others with their pets as well. Overall I found the area as well as the hotel safe and clean--important to a female like me traveling alone.
This is an extended stay hotel, meaning you won't get daily maid service which is fine because I don't need someone knocking at my door at 8 am to make up my bed. There are free laundry services, just purchase your own detergent. There is also a small 24/7 "store" inside where you can purchase many different food items and charge it to your room on some sort of "honor" system they have set up. Since it's an extended stay, your room has a small kitchen area. Mine had a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and stove top with 2 cooking spots and all relevant utensils and plates and such. Bathroom was clean and cozy, pretty basic and what you'll find in a typical american home.

I only encountered two issues during my stay, and that was my annoying neighbors above my room, stomping around at all hours of the night. Not the hotel's fault, and they were helpful enough to offer me a room on the top floor. The only other issue for me was the way the A/C unit works...it runs (loudly in my opinion) for a few minutes and the room is cool. Then it clicks off completely for about 15 minutes (and its dead quiet), and the room warms up again until it clicks back on. I'm not a A/C expert but I imagine that's the way an AC works, but the rise and fall in temperature and noise was pretty annoying for me. I'm not a light sleeper, but I am picky about my sleep.

Of course I read up on this hotel before booking, so thanks to everyone who posted about the huge holes in the road leading to the front door of this hotel. It was really rainy in Charleston during my visit, and all these holes were filled with water, so it would have been harder to spot had I not expected them. Keep in mind you can go to the right of these huge potholes, and just drive around the other side of the building to avoid them.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a room on the top (4th ) floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Walkertown, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have been in an extended stay since July 22, 2012. I have enjoyed the stay and the management is professional. However, if you plan to wash clothes while here, be prepared for broken washers. It seems maintenance does not know how to fix the washing machines. The cold water drips into the barrel of a top loader. The other complaint is the parking lot. The entrance has a huge hole approx. 4' dia. and 6" deep. The general manager has been trying to get the funds from corporate to fix the issue but for some reason they are dragging their feet.
The hotel is located across from Northwoods Mall. While staying here you have a free membership to Planet Fitness...in the mall. There are plenty of restaurants but be very cautious of SC drivers.
These people are complete idiots on the road. I have traveled the world and this ranks as one of the worst places I have seen for wrecks. The police are non-present until there is a wreck....three so far at the entrance to the Mall and hotel.
I was awakend at 0300 by a domestic across from my room. That was the only issue I have had with sleep.

Room Tip: 4th floor is for smokers. There is one wing on the 4th for non-smokers. The rest of the hotel is non...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Falcon, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Traveled to N. Charleston from Tampa 4-7 July 2012 for a family visit in Ladson, SC. I have stayed at 3 other hotel properties in the area and Candlewood is the best by far! Newer, clean, and has all the amenities for a small "home-away-from-home". The movie theater is a 3 minute walk and several great restaurants are also within waking distance (Olive Garden, Outback, Hooters, etc.). The staff is friendly and responsive to you and looks you in the eye when speaking with you. No nonsense here! We will stay there the next time we visit in the North Charleston / Summerville area. (And I did avoid the huge parking lot pothole)!

Room Tip: (I did not use the pool). The high-floor rooms on the backside of the property are very nice. Ask...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Conover, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great value, beautiful room, good location, manager's reception on Wednesday evenings... This was my first time in a Candlewood, and I am impressed! I will remember this place when in Charleston again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights, May 25th and 26th, 2012. We chose this hotel as it was close to restaurants, the airport and still close enough to enjoy all the great sites in Charleston. The front desk staff was very nice and check in was very fast. Even got some great recommendations for nearby attractions.
The suite was a large open kitchen/livingroom with separate bed/bath which we found very comfortable. We took advantage of the free laundry but the exercise/laundry area was not very comfortable as the dryers heated the area up.
It was a quick drive to the airport to drop off the rental car. The restaurants close to the hotel were Hooters, and O Charleys. The Mall was also within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Concord, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The beds couldn't be any better, and that is the most important thing in a hotel, to me. This is a clean and safe hotel. Only down side is the HUGE pothole in the parking lot, which is IMPOSSIBLE to straddle. We about threw the wheel alignment out on our car ,trying to dodge that darn deep hole, day after day. Manager said they were taking bids to fix it. More corporate red tape!
But, we will stay here again, because the beds are fanastic.

Room Tip: Ask for feather pillows, if you like those.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Largo, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The property is well maintained. The fully equiped kitchen with dishes, pots, pans and cutlery make it easy to set up housekeeping. The nearby Walmart & Target both had large grocery stores. The bedding was fresh. The rooms ae very quiet and have excellent air conditioning units. (A necessity in Charlesotn, S.C.) The immedicate area is pretty safe but visitors should be cautious at night.

Room Tip: Empty car of valuables. There are no closed citcuit cameras over the parking lot. Bresak ins do happ...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites I-26 @ Northwoods Mall? Share your experiences!